The Horror of Lucas Films

The Nun 2 | September 8, 2023

That multiple people have specifically praised the script already is not exactly common for this kind of movie, they may come out of this alive when the review embargo drops. But then again Conjuring 3 also opened with positive to very positive reactions and ended up slipping just under the fresh tomato once the embargo had dropped.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That multiple people have specifically praised the script already is not exactly common for this kind of movie, they may come out of this alive when the review embargo drops. But then again Conjuring 3 also opened with positive to very positive reactions and ended up slipping just under the fresh tomato once the embargo had dropped.

I think Conjuring 3 suffered a bit by coming from 2 beloved movies by a vastly superior director which makes the comparissons converge to the negative side even if the movie isn´t awful

But now coming from the worst movie of the whole franchise, i think the comparisson will be positive instead 

And i think the reactions for C3 despite positive all keep saying it was worse than the previous 

It's unbelievable the awful marketing work that Warner's doing with a film from a franchise that never gave them a financial loss, meanwhile, they continue to invest a lot of money in a franchise that gave several losses in a row.

Warner deserves the whole financial damage they have taken with DC.

I'll watch The Nun 2 at the preview, but I'll be praying that Warner sells the franchise rights to a decent studio like Paramount.

Edited by Litio

The hype around the release first Nun was HUGE and so was the marketing push.

I don't think RT actually ever affected the business of spin off films from this series , it was mostly dependent on general interest and the fact that they just need to be slightly "scary/spooky" enough even if the script itself is severely lacking sometimes.

First Nun dropped the ball big time on the scares and the franchise havent reached its box office highs since then globally.

It is a pity because that film did significant business in India thanks to real hype and marketing blitz but they seem non existent of this one here.

1 hour ago, Litio said:

It's unbelievable the awful marketing work that Warner's doing with a film from a franchise that never gave them a financial loss, meanwhile, they continue to invest a lot of money in a franchise that gave several losses in a row.

Warner deserves the whole financial damage they have taken with DC.

I'll watch The Nun 2 at the preview, but I'll be praying that Warner sells the franchise rights to a decent studio like Paramount.

No thanks, Paramount sucks at marketing. See how all their movies have been underperforming this year except for Scream. Paramount has been choosing some awful release dates this year by releasing all their movies right next to breakout hits (D&D & Mario, Transformers & Spider-Verse, MI7/TMNT & Barbenheimer).

Also, WB has been having a pretty good box office this year. Combined budgets of all their movies this year is roughly 700m, whereas combined box office is at 2.6b. So over 3x, and they have a pretty strong slate for the end of the year.

WB also barely marketed Evil Dead and it was originally a streaming movie, but it still made bank. Marketing for horror movies is different than marketing for other movies. Nun 2 will for sure make bank, supernatural horror has very wide appeal, and horror has been on a roll lately. And many Asian/Latin American markets that go crazy for it have grown considerably since 2018.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

No thanks, Paramount sucks at marketing. See how all their movies have been underperforming this year except for Scream. Paramount has been choosing some awful release dates this year by releasing all their movies right next to breakout hits (D&D & Mario, Transformers & Spider-Verse, MI7/TMNT & Barbenheimer).

Also, WB has been having a pretty good box office this year. Combined budgets of all their movies this year is roughly 700m, whereas combined box office is at 2.6b. So over 3x, and they have a pretty strong slate for the end of the year.

WB also barely marketed Evil Dead and it was originally a streaming movie, but it still made bank. Marketing for horror movies is different than marketing for other movies. Nun 2 will for sure make bank, supernatural horror has very wide appeal, and horror has been on a roll lately. And many Asian/Latin American markets that go crazy for it have grown considerably since 2018.

Paramount did a great job marketing Scream 6 and Smile, their latest horror movies (same audience as the TCU movies are aimed at).

Of all Paramount's films this year, none flopped like The Flash and Shazam 2, Warner's films. Even D&D performed better if you take into account the budget and the aggressive, excessive and unnecessary marketing that Warner did for The Flash.

Half of Warner's total WW box office this year comes from just 1 film. It's great that Barbie came to save their ass, but that doesn't excuse the terrible flopage of their previous films.

Edited by Litio

25 minutes ago, Litio said:

Paramount did a great job marketing Scream 6 and Smile, their latest horror movies (same audience as the TCU movies are aimed at).

Of all Paramount's films this year, none flopped like The Flash and Shazam 2, Warner's films. Even D&D performed better if you take into account the budget and the aggressive, excessive and unnecessary marketing that Warner did for The Flash.

Half of Warner's total WW box office this year comes from just 1 film. It's great that Barbie came to save their ass, but that doesn't excuse the terrible flopage of their previous films.

WB's last 2 major horror movies, Conjuring 3 and Evil Dead, were also major hits. So I don't know how you can say they can't market horror.

Every Paramount movie they've released this year has failed to make 2.5x their budget except for TMNT (barely) and Scream 6. They don't have anything close to Barbie's level of success this year. 

If you combine the budget for all of Paramount's movies this year, it's around 750m. For WB, it's also around 750m for all their budgets combined.

However, if you combine the gross for all Paramount's movies this year, it's around 1.6 billion. For WB, it's around 2.6 billion. So WB clearly got a much better ROI than Paramount. Even if Barbie made $1b less than it actually did, that would still be the case.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

WB's last 2 major horror movies, Conjuring 3 and Evil Dead, were also major hits. So I don't know how you can say they can't market horror.

Every Paramount movie they've released this year has failed to make 2.5x their budget except for TMNT (barely) and Scream 6. They don't have anything close to Barbie's level of success this year. 

If you combine the budget for all of Paramount's movies this year, it's around 750m. For WB, it's also around 750m for all their budgets combined.

However, if you combine the gross for all Paramount's movies this year, it's around 1.6 billion. For WB, it's around 2.6 billion. So WB clearly got a much better ROI than Paramount. Even if Barbie made $1b less than it actually did, that would still be the case.

My point is that Warner is leaving money on the table when it comes to TCU. Both EDR and TC3 (although this one had a decent marketing investment and bigger than what TN2 is having) were carried by the fan base, and so will be The Nun 2. If TCU had the same investment that Paramount gives to the Scream franchise, TCU would be at higher levels.

Another point against Warner is that 'Annabelle Comes Home' showed some elements/characters with potential for spin-off movies, but Warner prefers to invest heavily in a doomed franchise like the DCU.

If Warner doesn't want to invest in TCU's great potential, they should sell the franchise to a studio that would actually invest on it. I'm sure a studio like Paramount would benefit from it.

Edited by Litio

8 hours ago, Litio said:

My point is that Warner is leaving money on the table when it comes to TCU. Both EDR and TC3 (although this one had a decent marketing investment and bigger than what TN2 is having) were carried by the fan base, and so will be The Nun 2. If TCU had the same investment that Paramount gives to the Scream franchise, TCU would be at higher levels.

Another point against Warner is that 'Annabelle Comes Home' showed some elements/characters with potential for spin-off movies, but Warner prefers to invest heavily in a doomed franchise like the DCU.

If Warner doesn't want to invest in TCU's great potential, they should sell the franchise to a studio that would actually invest on it. I'm sure a studio like Paramount would benefit from it.

DCU hasn’t even started yet so what are you going on and on about. They can’t market The Nun to the fullest because of the damn strike. 

The marketing for The Nun 2 has been pretty damn good from what they can do without the actors they do TCU justice with this so you are really no making any sense 

• Like 3

On 8/31/2023 at 2:19 PM, Lucas said:

Suggests to me this is more a Conjuring movie like some the (third?) Annabelle film was rather that a easy baked spin off.

8 hours ago, bastian said:

DCU hasn’t even started yet so what are you going on and on about. They can’t market The Nun to the fullest because of the damn strike. 

Warner has released 4 DC movies since 'The Suicide Squad' flopped terribly in 2021 (yeah, in the middle of a pandemic and being a hybrid release). 3 DC movies bombed just like TSS.
The Nun 2 will be the FIRST TCU release since 'The Conjuring 3' had a profit and a bigger box office than 'The Suicide Squad' under the same circumstances in 2021.

8 hours ago, bastian said:

The marketing for The Nun 2 has been pretty damn good from what they can do without the actors they do TCU justice with this so you are really no making any sense 

Good to know that they are running local campaigns while trying to go viral, but I would like to know how the campaign is doing at national and international level.
Buzz on the internet seems weak and I've seen a lot of ads for 'A Haunting In Venice', while I haven't seen any for 'The Nun 2'.

Edited by Litio

33 minutes ago, Litio said:

Warner has released 4 DC movies since 'The Suicide Squad' flopped terribly in 2021 (yeah, in the middle of a pandemic and being a hybrid release). 3 DC movies bombed just like TSS.
The Nun 2 will be the FIRST TCU release since 'The Conjuring 3' had a profit and a bigger box office than 'The Suicide Squad' under the same circumstances in 2021.

Good to know that they are running local campaigns while trying to go viral, but I would like to know how the campaign is doing at national and international level.
Buzz on the internet seems weak and I've seen a lot of ads for 'A Haunting In Venice', while I haven't seen any for 'The Nun 2'.

Idk, this feels like it will be the biggest movie released by far in between Barbenheimer and Swift so the doom & gloom seems beyond weird. If it is good, then i think it might even reach the first film’s opening with better legs.

Moderation

Not the DC vs. Conjuring thread. Not even sure why we're complaining about Warner "mistreating" the biggest horror movie franchise ever when said studio consistently puts out big box office hits in said giant franchise. So please move the topic to something else.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 7:54 PM, ThomasNicole said:

Review embargo drops Thursday 

I would usually think this means awful reviews instead of the just ok / decent reactions, but they did this with Barbie so who knows 

From the reactions I've seen so far is that is better than the first and with more scares.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

From the reactions I've seen so far is that is better than the first and with more scares.

Yes, read a lot yesterday. Not sure if it’ll ended up fresh tbh, but shouldn‘t be panned because indeed even the ones who didn’t liked it said it’s at least better than the previous. 

3 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, read a lot yesterday. Not sure if it’ll ended up fresh tbh, but shouldn‘t be panned because indeed even the ones who didn’t liked it said it’s at least better than the previous. 

That is not a really high bar tbf..
Director's last 2 conjuring movies were okay but rather bland. I don't care about RT but it need to have decent scares by spinoff standards for audience reception