That One Girl

Nightmare Alley | December 17, 2021 (Wide Release) | Searchlight | Directed by Guillermo del Toro and starring Bradley Cooper

10 hours ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

If this scores anything in terms of Oscar nominations it will be Production Design. But I can see it being completely ignored and then people will be “shocked”.

A total blanking would be more of a surprise now than two weeks ago: so far, it's showing up more with the guilds than expected, you have Scorsese publicly advocating and the movie's top talent is hitting the awards media circuit in time for Oscar voting. This can milk the "real cinema is being crowded out by theme park spectacles, so vote for us" narrative more than its competitors--I mean, they weren't canceling opening weekend screenings of King Richard or The Last Duel for a $260 million opener. I doubt it was the plan all along, but maybe flopping so late in the game and so epically vs Spider-Man might be weirdly helpful for Nightmare Alley's awards run. We'll see on Oscar nomination morning...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 minutes ago, Eric Riley said:

They're still doing this dumb black and white gimmick?

I wouldn't want to check it out other than as a curiosity but I can see why GDT would release a B&W version of it. Most of the movie is a love letter to old-fashioned B&W noir dramas, so it's likely much less perplexing of a choice here than it was for a hyperkinetic action movie like Mad Max: Fury Road.

Saw this at the weekend. One of Del Toro's best, was gripped the whole way through. Was it predictable? Sure. But there an air of inevitability to the whole peice and we're just here for the ride. It's all told with such passion and majesty. Cooper is incredible, absolutely owned the film. 

Deserves to get in for Cinematography and Production Design at the very least. 

2 hours ago, Eric Riley said:

They're still doing this dumb black and white gimmick?

I generally agree with this sentiment (Logan, Mad Max, Parasite were dumb) buuuut this one even in colour was lit in a way that emulated a classic look and it could work really well, better even. I doubt this gets a theatrical release in Canada so hopefully it's on the disc at least.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I wouldn't want to check it out other than as a curiosity but I can see why GDT would release a B&W version of it. Most of the movie is a love letter to old-fashioned B&W noir dramas, so it's likely much less perplexing of a choice here than it was for a hyperkinetic action movie like Mad Max: Fury Road.

Which might be a problem, do that and you are begging for comparasions to the 1947 original.

This was great, and well worth the wait! The visuals and overall presentation are all excellent, and the actors all did a fantastic job. A cautionary tale unlike any other.

Spoiler

I especially appreciated the little plot detail in the scene where Bradley Cooper's in the bathtub :Venom:

I also can't help but wonder how the hell his character made it that far in life without some form of lung cancer. The dude smokes in pretty much every scene. Did we find Cooper or Del Toro's hidden fetish?

• Like 1