Oscar Y5 Poll Questions  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which film will win Best Picture?

• 24 Hours
    • Bambi: A Life in the Woods
    • The Rich and Famous
    • The Scavenger Wars: Part II
    • A Woman in the Crowd
  2. 2. How excited are you for the Oscar ceremony?

• "I'm So Excited" -- The Pointer Sisters
    • I am excited for the ceremony to a reasonable degree.
    • Eh; I'm excited to an extent...
    • No, Not Really, No
    • I don't even know why I'm here, because I'm the OPPOSITE of excited...

PREVIEW #9

Spoiler

THE FOLLOWING CLIP HAS BEEN EDITED FOR BROADCAST

The preview opens with the sound of a massive door being sealed shut, and after a few seconds we see Adora (Olivia Cooke), carrying a bag and trying to flicker on a flashlight.

“H-hello…?”

She surveys her surroundings. She’s inside a pitch black airplane hangar, spacious enough that she can hear her own footsteps echo across the hall. She turns around to gaze at the door behind her, and that’s when she sees something that makes her tense up.

Claw marks. Huge ones.

Her flashlight begins to flicker. She tries to keep it alight, but the battery quickly dies. “Great…”, she sighs in the complete darkness before pulling out her cell phone. It’s not as effective of a light source as the flashlight, but it’ll have to do.

She hears a deep growl coming from the darkness. She knows something else besides her’s in here.

“St-Strider…?”, she asks as she raises her left palm, showing off a birthmark that resembles a dragon swirling in a circle. “M-my name’s Adora… I… I’ve brought a concession for you…”

She reaches into her bag and pulls out a piece of cooked meat bigger than her head and tosses it into the darkness, quietly waiting for anything to happen. The growling ceases, and Adora turns around to just miss a massive tail slithering past her, and when she’s not looking a pair of claws as big as herself snatches the meat and disappear into the darkness.

“Oh come on, the least you can do is show yourself!”, Adora yells out as she’s getting impatient, only to get frightened by the meat being spit back right in front of her, with teeth marks embedded on it.

“I said I prefer my meat raw”, a deep, booming voice (Benedict Cumberbatch) replies from the darkness.

Adora tries to light her phone in the direction the meat was flung from, but she sees nothing. She takes a few steps back and bumps into something that, to her horror, is rock hard and scaly.

A pair of stark blue lizard eyes light up and glare back at the poor girl. They begin to corner her, and even with the light emanating from the phone she can’t see who the eyes belong to, as if they were disembodied entities floating perpetually in the blackness.

“The darkness is my ally…”, the voice replies, followed by a pair of blue flames lighting up. “...And the aether is my weapon.”

Adora: (gets on her knees) I… I didn’t mean to disturb, but-

Strider: I see the mark on your hand. Does Hirata think recruiting them younger will make me go easy on them?

Adora: P-p-please don’t eat me!

Strider: I want to see what you’re made of. Get on my back.

Adora: B...b-back? Do you even have a back?!

Adora’s foot is suddenly ensnared by Strider’s tail and she’s lifted high in the air, dropping her phone to the ground where it shatters into a million pieces, cutting the screen to black.

We cut outside to see Peter Birdsbeak (John Oliver), Rhona (Bex Taylor-Klaus), Maxim (Shameik Moore) and his dragon Ivan (voiced by Peter Capaldi) - a stubby red dragon with rhino horns - all stand and wait impatiently before being startled by loud noises coming from the hangar.

Ivan: Welp, she’s human lamb chop now! Rest in peace whatever-’yer-name-was, we hardly knew ‘ye!

Rhona: S...s-she might actually be in trouble, we have to help her!

Peter: Hold it right there! (stops Rhona) I will not be responsible for more than one DragonBorn fatality today, thank you very much!

Maxim sees the doors to the hangar banging violently and he turns back to Ivan with a worried look.

Maxim: You’re like five sevenths his size, can’t you do anything?!

Ivan: Take it from a literal fire dragon that ‘ye don’t want to catch Strider on a bad day… which happens to be every day!

The doors suddenly burst open and out comes Strider, a huge black dragon with sharp fins on his back and an elongated tail, with Adora riding on his back screaming for help. Everyone backs off as Strider dashes around the airfield knocking a few flagpoles and vehicles aside before flapping his wings and taking off, creating hurricane-like winds that knocks all the humans to the ground and sends a car flying in Ivan’s face.

“...Showoff”, Ivan mutters under his breath as he and the others watch Strider ascend through the clouds with Adora clinging on for dear life. Strider emerges above with the full moon in clear view, and Adora sees Strider’s scales shine in the moonlight.

Adora: (amazed) Your scales… they’re… they’re like diamonds!

Strider: You’re already losing focus!

Adora: Focus? What focus?! I didn’t ask to be taken up here!

Strider: First rule of being a Rider - The dragon’s will is above all!

Strider strikes a dramatic pose with the moon as his backdrop before diving back before the clouds, Adora struggling to get a hang of it as she realizes Strider is about to dive bomb straight into the ground.

Strider: Second rule of being a Rider - A Rider with no command over their dragon is no Rider at all!

Adora: I thought you said the dragon’s will was above all?!

Strider: PULL UP, NOW!

Adora grabs one of Strider’s fins and pulls it, making the dragon swoop up from hitting the ground just in time. Strider flies across the city, swooping at low altitude across several rooftops and even pulls off an impressive aerial maneuver where he folds his wings and flies straight through the gap of an old bell tower.

Adora: Can’t we just land somewhere?! I think I’m gonna be sick…

Strider: You’re even more pathetic than I imagined.

Adora sees ahead of her and realizes that Strider’s attempting to fly through a mountain with a hole in its center - a gap so narrow it makes the bell tower they just flew through look wide open.

Adora: No...no, no, no, NO! We won’t make it through that gap!

Strider: Third rule of being a Rider - Trust your instincts!

Adora: Yeah, and my instincts are telling me we're going to crash and die horribly!!

Adora sees a bed of flowers just before the mountain range and she leaps off Strider’s back while he’s flying at high speeds, causing Strider to stall mid-air and plunge downwards. Adora lands in tall grass and rolls down the hill before coming to a graceful stop in the flowerbed, contrasted by Strider crashing into the ground like a meteorite and getting them both halfway buried in dirt.

Peter, Rhona and Maxim all arrive riding on Ivan’s back to find Adora lying on the ground dizzy and nauseous.

Adora: Mr. Addington, I think I lost my phone…

Peter: (sigh) You want me to call your aunt?

Adora: Yes, please… (vomits behind a flower bush)

NEXT CHRISTMAS

From the Studio behind ‘Voltron’ and ‘The Scavenger Wars’

DragonBorns

In theaters and IMAX

New trailer this weekend

• Like 4

Olivia Cooke walks onstage.

Olivia Cooke: To be an actor is to be many things. You could a brother, a robot, a criminal, a superhero... perhaps even a whale. Here are the nominees for Best Actor.

Spoiler

As a son trying desperately to mend the bonds between his loved ones,

ANDREW GARFIELD (THE THREE MONTH FUNERAL)

On purpose, John opens Tyler’s fridge. John, although feeling awkward, begins speaking to Tyler, saying that this whole three-month funeral thing saved his relationship with Robert, but it retroactively ruined Tyler’s relationship with Robert. John apologizes to Tyler, saying he saved his family relationships, but he feels terrible for ruining Robert’s image of Tyler. Not only that, John says that he knows Matt is a great guy, and John feels awful that both of their images are ruined for Robert, who ended up being a nice guy. John says he’s going to fix this before their time together is up, and he will get Robert to forgive Matt.

Spoiler

As a fighter pilot who will soon be rid of the need of a vehicle to fly in the sky,

ARMIE HAMMER (GREEN LANTERN CORPS: RISE OF THE MANHUNTERS

Hal then drives back to his house before receiving a call from his older brother, Jack Jordan who he always have had a rough relationship with him as when he joined the Air Force, as it broke his mother’s heart who wanted him not to die, let alone be a member like his father, causing him to become adrift from his family. Hal reluctantly explains his position to his brother as Jack attempts to persuade him to quit. Despite the heated argument, Jack wants to rebuild their relationship and would like to meet and talk soon, something which Hal briefly considers.

Spoiler

As a father trying to preserve the relationship between him and his daughter,

DANIEL HENNEY (YIN)

Tears begin to roll down Martin’s face.

Martin: I fought for the truth. But the explanations your mother gave me… None of them made any sense to me. I couldn’t piece the truth together. So I just accepted the divorce and I moved on.

Martin looks to Barbara.

Martin: Barbara. We need to learn to accept that there are some mysteries whose truths will never be revealed. But if there is one truth I am sure of, it is that I love you, and that I’m proud of you, and that I will keep you safe from harm.

Spoiler

As a robot built for humans' entertainment but longing for human connection,

NICHOLAS HOULT (STEEL STREAKS)

During a press event, RAID-1 shocks Aria by going off-script and delivering his own remarks regarding HOSS. Afterwards, in private, RAID-1 admits to Aria that he had become sentient some time ago; the learning and adaptation routines she had programmed into him had allowed him to reference human behavior in such advanced a way as to develop self-awareness and his own personality. However, he knew the other robots in the league were "just puppets," and was unwilling to reveal himself - until he recognized a similar level of intelligence in HOSS.

Spoiler

As an aspiring lawman in over his head,

MILES TELLER (24 HOURS)

That night, James spends time with Marie at her place. The two are still affectionate and loving, but there is a sense of some distance between them. James says he’s got a new assignment, something that could guarantee he’s on partner track. Marie nods, sipping her drink, and asks James if he’s ever thought about changing jobs. James, a little surprised, asks what she means. Marie says the past few months she’s just felt a different vibe about the firm. James says she’s just hearing more of the same old rumors, all of them lies. He says Whitaker’s never asked him to do something he wasn’t comfortable with. The audience can see from James’ face that he almost believes that statement. James tells Marie that it’s okay if she wants to get a new job though, if she’s not comfortable. Marie shakes her head and says James is right, she just let rumors go to her head. She leans against James on the sofa as he pulls her close and kisses her on the top of the head.

Olivia Cooke: And the Oscar goes to...

Spoiler

DANIEL HENNEY (YIN)

Daniel Henney: I want to thank the Academy, first and foremost. I want to than my family and friends... My agent--I must thank him for obtaining roles such as the role of Joel in The Scavenger Wars franchise... I must thank Daniel Espinosa and the cast that I worked with--Meritt Wever, Michael Shannon, Anthony Ramos, Pearl Sun... Megan Liu, I share this with you. You were to me what Jacob Tremblay was to Brie Larson for the movie Room. You pushed me to be the best that I could be. I wish the best for your acting future!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

My agent--I must thank him for obtaining roles such as the role of Joel in The Scavenger Wars franchise... 

Why you gotta do Black Paladin dirty like that Tadashi

Jason Clarke appears onstage.

Jason Clarke: Since the introduction of cinema, we have been enamored by the idea of the starlet. These five women pushed the boundaries of the starlet image, shining bright in the process. Here are the nominees for Best Actress.

Spoiler

As a hard-boiled policewoman who wishes for justice above all else,

CARRIE COON (24 HOURS)

Linda has James walk with her up a hillside until they reach a pair of plots, one of which has a tombstone and the other is empty. James, apprehensive, asks why they’re here and Linda tells him to look at the names on the tombstone. James takes a look and, gulping as he recognizes the names, says they’re Marie’s parents. Linda nods and says they died in a house fire, arson. James says Marie never said it was arson. Linda says of course she didn’t, because the arson was done by a billionaire’s trust fund son who happened to be an insane pyromaniac, and that son evaded the legal system because of Martin Whitaker. “All Marie wanted was justice for her family, but you couldn’t let that happen, could you.”

Spoiler

As a writer undergoing a midlife crisis,

KATHRYN HAHN (THE RICH AND FAMOUS)

Janie insists that she is able to pay for all of it thanks to the money that her books have been bringing her. She just doesn’t feel as motivated to do much more writing nowadays, explaining that she still has a valid career, a non toxic relationship with her parents, and something else is just kind of missing. 

Spoiler

As a trouble-making orphan who is given a second chance in life,

THOMASIN MCKENZIE (THE EPSILON SYNDICATE: UNION OF THIEVES)

Nadine: All you need to know is that once I caught you off guard and feigned my own weakness, it was easy to get the job done.

Blue Eyes: Better finish then. Go on, a bullet will do the trick.

Nadine: Blue Eyes…what’s your real name?

Blue Eyes: Heh, I guess I like the way you play, Nadine. Elias Hallon. I must admit....I'm impressed.

Nadine: Don't try to play cute. The antidote is being distributed, and we will find out who you were working for. There's only one thing that could be a relative net gain in this situation. Elias…you are my brother. And our parents manipulated us beyond belief. We can start fresh. Come with me. We don’t have to let the world become a nightmare. I can have my brother back. What do you say? Want to join our union of thieves?

Spoiler

As a young woman cursed with the affliction of never being remembered,

ANYA TAYLOR-JOY (A WOMAN IN THE CROWD)

Anya Taylor-Joy (A Woman in the Crowd) -. Lyra searches to find something; she sees marigolds under a tree about thirty-five feet away. Lyra weakly points and asks if Milo can grab her one or two of those marigolds. Milo looks at the marigolds and then back to Lyra, and asks why. Lyra lightly giggles, saying that she wants to explain something, and she needs to make an analogy.

Spoiler

As a disillusioned space cadet struggling to overcome guilt,

MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD (THE SCAVENGER WARS: PART II)

[Lucina] gets up and stands in front of Sal, towering over her measly figure as she stares her down. Tamara tries to intervene.

Lucina: (to Sal) Last time I put my trust in a nutcase like you, he nearly destroyed this planet and killed my best friend in the process. You don’t even have a toxic serum in your veins as an excuse…
Tamara: Lucina...
Lucina: (to Sal) I should’ve known you were a freakshow from the second I saw you.
Tamara: Lucina, stop!

“Come near her again…”, Lucina threatens the frightened Sal. “...And I will *bleeping* kill you.”

Jason Clarke: And the Oscar goes to...

Spoiler

CARRIE COON (24 HOURS)

Carrie Coon: This is an honor that I will be grateful having received for the rest of my life. Thank you very much!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Congratulations, @Slambros!

Thank you very much! (I'm out of likes at the moment).

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Why you gotta do Black Paladin dirty like that Tadashi

Yeah, I gotta read the Voltron films so I remember he's in those...

PREVIEW #10

Spoiler

The following preview is a surprise submission from @lamamama:

Spoiler

Trailer opens with Jennifer Lawrence making breakfast in a nice looking suburban home. Two young kids rush to the table and she has a voice over

Jenifer: “Everyday is the same  get the kids ready, go to work, come home, make dinner, and  tuck them in, you never really expect it  to change, so you never plan for it.”

Scene shifts to Jenifer working behind a call center desk with her colleagues when suddenly the window is covered by a black ominous shadow her co-workers call for her to look out the window

A shot from the perspective of them looking up at a giant ship that is large and stretching as far as they can see across the sky

Behind them the table begins to shake and coffee spills all over  the table Jenifer mutters “ god help us”

Jennifer as well as many other people run through a school courtyard looking for their children while orange smoke comes all around them. Jenifer calls out “Jack, Jack Allie can you hear me?

Another shot of Jennifer cradling her daughter in her arms in what seems to be a some kind of barn pin and saying   “it's all gonna be okay its all gonna be okay” while holding back tears herself.

Scott Eastwood sits in a chapel where a large crucifix has been knocked over and the ground floor of the church split. He says (voice over) “ I keep telling myself everything is part of his plan but there’s no verse for this.”

A Group of people sit around a campfire in a barren field  one asks why do you think they haven't finished us off yet

Goes to a black screen as you hear Joaquin Phoenix’s voice say “ They’re preparing, they are the hunter and we are merely the prey

The Survivors Chapter 1 : The Prey

December 2nd

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Nicholas Hoult and Penelope Cruz walk onstage.

Nicholas Hoult: Before we honor the films, we must honor the directors.

Penelope Cruz: Here are the nominees for Best Director.

Spoiler

J.C. CHANDOR (24 HOURS)

Spoiler

MATT & ROSS DUFFER (THE SCAVENGER WARS: PART II)

Spoiler

TAMARA JENKINS (THE RICH AND FAMOUS)

Spoiler

ANG LEE (BAMBI: A LIFE IN THE WOODS)

Spoiler

JEFF NICHOLS (A WOMAN IN THE CROWD)

Nicholas Hoult: And the Oscar goes to...

Spoiler

J.C. CHANDOR (24 HOURS)

J.C. Chandor: Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever considered the possibility of winning both the Screenplay award and the Director award. Thank you, Academy!

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Lmao @Slambros you're really saving me for the bitter end, huh?

The coin flip put you on the very bottom of the schedule...

But alas. Your time has come.

PREVIEW #11

Spoiler

(0:00-0:14, continuing to build over the speech.)

* Images flash on a computer screen that fills the window. We see a resume and application being completed. Smash cut to an office with two women, Lily (Kaitlyn Dever) and Wanda (Tiffany Haddish), the latter behind a desk.*

Lily: I need to have this. There’s a lot riding on this, the feeling of falling into inadequacy, knowing that my friends are filling up on internships, many of which are unpaid, but hell, it’s the only way people think you spend your summer well. God damnit, I don’t know. Why am I telling you all this?

*beat*

Wanda: That’s exactly the voice we need. Welcome to Quickie Vickie’s!

*They shake hands*

(0:14)

HOURGLASS PICTURES

*We cut to see four young people, type A Rodney (Jorge Ledenborg Jr.), Lily, drama geek Cynthia (Lana Condor), and somewhat goth Silas (Jimmy Tatro) getting ready for their days of work. They all sport badges that reveal their names and companies: MemorAll, Quickie Vickie’s, Bartlebee’s, and Langford and Sons.*

(0:23-0:28)

*We see Lindsay (McAdams) walking alongside Rodney as she gives him a quick tour of the office.*

Lindsay: We’ve got you for the summer, you’ll get to make some fun tweets on the corporate account, and of course every odd Wednesday is day old bagel afternoon.

*music stops, and we see Rodney’s gibberish notes.

(0:28-0:42)

*We get some dialogue free scenes of Lily awkwardly fitting in at a company mixer, while Silas begins to down a bottle of Jaegermister with some friends at his place. All around, phones pop up, sharing notifications of corporate twitter accounts making funny tweets.*

Lily: I mean, everyone else does it, shouldn’t be too hard to duplicate, right?

*Cut back to the tour from earlier.*

Rodney: First time’s tonight, here are a few drafts I made.

Lindsay: Looking good, you got this!

*music stops*

*We see Rodney at a desk at around 5pm. He begins to look at tweets he made a few days ago and their engagement. His heart begins to race as he gets a message from Quickie Vickie’s, saying, “God knows what happens if we go public. I have a plan we can both benefit from. It’s not just me.” He looks on with confusion*

*Rodney begins to type a bit…”Quickie Vickie makes us horny as f – “*

*We cut off before he types the rest of the word.*

(6:49 – 6:55)

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF BY THE BALLS

*The office is in a complete furor. *

*The MemorAll app begins to climb on app store charts*

*The four interns meet face to face, making some kind of pact in an alleyway.*

Cynthia: Here’s how we advance the plot from here.

(6:55-7:02)

DEBAUCHERY

*Lily walks through a subway train, dramatically wearing a Quicky Vickie costume*

DISOBEDIENCE

*A masked individual pours gasoline into a full shopping cart.*

EROTICISM

*Silas begins to sharpen a pencil.*

BETRAYAL

*A man in a thin, casual look and a light beard, Gavin (Dan Stevens) gives a large tech presentation. *

MURDER

*Rodney punches a sharp dressed man (John Slattery) behind a desk*

(7:02-7:05)

NEVER TASTED

*A cult like group walks through a city street*

SO GOOD

*Cynthia sips loudly on a milkshake.*

(7:25 – 7:28)

*The four begin to run through a building lobby in slow motion.*

(7:28-7:31)

*Names rapidly appear above the four.*

JORGE LEDENBORG JR.