filmlover

Judy | September 27 2019 | Roadside Attractions | Renee Zellweger

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

After debuting in 461 theatres on September 27 and bringing in $2.9M for the weekend, Judy expanded wide last weekend and brought in a solid $4,598,798 ($3,154 PTA).

@captainwondyful I know you saw this and adored it! Anyone else? I'm annoyed it's not playing at my local but I imagine this will keep expanding a little more so maybe I have a shot.

I saw it last weekend as well and really liked it. Had a rather melancholy tone to it that we don't seem to get with many of these biopics, which is probably fitting given the subject matter isn't an uplifting one. Renee is incredible though. Make it a top priority just for her alone.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

I saw it last weekend as well and really liked it. Had a rather melancholy tone to it that we don't seem to get with many of these biopics, which is probably fitting given the subject matter isn't an uplifting one. Renee is incredible though. Make it a top priority just for her alone.

I will for sure. In fact, just dawned on me I'll be visiting family in Vancouver this weekend for Thanksgiving so I will get to see it. Going to The Addams Family with my nephew already but hopefully I'll be able to sneak in another movie before coming back home. I may get burned if I wait for my local to pick it up. I swear it doesn't show any movie below a 2500 theatre count.

21 hours ago, JB33 said:

@captainwondyful I know you saw this and adored it! Anyone else? I'm annoyed it's not playing at my local but I imagine this will keep expanding a little more so maybe I have a shot.

I think we're going to go see it again tomorrow.  Or Gemini Man.  Depends on what Mom wants.  It's finally at my local theater next door, so I can sneak over if she won't go with me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JB33 said:

After debuting in 461 theatres on September 27 and bringing in $2.9M for the weekend, Judy expanded wide last weekend and brought in a solid $4,598,798 ($3,154 PTA).

i think it probably depends on how much of a Judy fanboy you are. i'm a casual when it comes to her and didn't get much out of it. renee really good. a couple sweet moments. was mostly bored.

I loved this, and Renée Zellweger is exceptionally good. And seeing just how impactful the movie was for my mom was really lovely too. As someone who grew up with Judy Garland, she was blown away at how well Zellweger captured her.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

On 10/9/2019 at 8:27 PM, JB33 said:

I quite enjoyed it. 

While the movie itself is a little uneven, I think Renee is the one to beat for the Oscar!

What's interesting about it's B.O. the last 5 days is that it's expansion on Friday was a little overwhelming. It almost tripled it's theatre count and increase only 49% week over week.  Saturday improved upon that a little bit, increasing 54% week over week. But Sunday saw a massive 73% increase week over week, Monday was a solid 64% increase week over week and Tuesday was a 90% increase week over week!!!

That's a nice trajectory. 

I'm hoping that it expands further this week. WOM must be pretty good if it's increasing like that. 

18 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

I quite enjoyed it. 

While the movie itself is a little uneven, I think Renee is the one to beat for the Oscar!

What's interesting about it's B.O. the last 5 days is that it's expansion on Friday was a little overwhelming. It almost tripled it's theatre count and increase only 49% week over week.  Saturday improved upon that a little bit, increasing 54% week over week. But Sunday saw a massive 73% increase week over week, Monday was a solid 64% increase week over week and Tuesday was a 90% increase week over week!!!

That's a nice trajectory. 

I'm hoping that it expands further this week. WOM must be pretty good if it's increasing like that. 

Glad you liked it! Sounds like most people are in agreement with you that Renee is the front runner for best actress so far. I'm really chomping at the bit to see for myself though!

Yeah, the box office has been strong so far. The theatre count added 169 more this weekend (1,627 total) and I could see it going well over 2,000 soon if the momentum keeps going strong.

Theatre count went down by 209 (12.1%). It's not a lot, but I'm kind of surprised this didn't keep expanding. I suppose it makes sense, as it expanded to 1,627 theatres last weekend and did $3.23M for a $1,986 PTA. Guess Roadside Attractions didn't want to push it anymore.