filmlover

Judy | September 27 2019 | Roadside Attractions | Renee Zellweger

In the end Kelly won for having done 4 movies that year I think.

I'm glad this sounds like a success for Zellweger at least, even if it's still hard for me to work up much interest in it. I do hope it gets more people to watch actual Garland movies. Greatest actor to ever live imo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Renee won't win a second Oscar for this since the movie itself is gonna be a nonfactor otherwise (a factor that is ultimately what did Glenn Close in last year despite her overdue narrative) but she should be good for a nomination with the quality of the movie being solid enough since if there's two things the Academy loves, it's people who give transformative performances as other famous icons, and a good comeback narrative (and if anyone working today deserves a proper comeback, it's Zellweger). Curious to see how well this performs at the box office; it's set to open at a couple of the local arthouse theaters on the 27th so they must be planning on taking it fairly wide out the gate.

• Like 3

Roadside Attractions is currently managing to get one of their biggest grossers ever with The Peanut Butter Falcon so I would think an biopic about an icon featuring a much buzzed about comeback performance achieving a $15-20M gross shouldn't be that big of a hurdle.

• Like 1

Unless dull looking Lucy in the Sky surprises, unless Charlize in Bombshell is Monster level or better, unless Ronan as 5647th incarnation of Jane March is Citizen Kane, Renee has it in the bag. None of new performances at TIFF challenges her reviews (the biggest hype of the newbies, that includes recently seen Harriet,  is JLo who's likely going Supporting anyway). 

Pleased to see such great notices for Zellweger. In an ideal world her co-star in this movie, Jessie Buckley, would be nominated alongside her for the latter's amazing performance in Wild Rose, which is one of 2019's most overlooked films.

I want to familarise myself with more of Garland's work before seeing this. Having obviously seen The Wizard of Oz as well as the 1950's version of A Star is Born, what's the next best Garland performance to check out?

4 hours ago, gadd said:

I want to familarise myself with more of Garland's work before seeing this. Having obviously seen The Wizard of Oz as well as the 1950's version of A Star is Born, what's the next best Garland performance to check out?

OH.  HAAAAI.  What's up?

I was going to hold off posting this until OW for the Top 50 Musicals Thread, but I can just repost it:  

EW.COM: 8 Essential Judy Garland Movies That Aren't The Wizard of Oz

It's a great list including A Star is BornGirl Crazy with Mickey Rooney, Meet Me In St. Louis with Vincente Minnelli, The Pirate with Vincente and Gene Kelly, and For Me and My Gal and Summer Stock with Gene Kelly.  I HIGHLY recommend Summer Stock.  List also highlights two of her non-singing roles The Clock (also directed by Minnelli) and Judgment at Nuremberg.  

List doesn't include Easter Parade with Fred Astaire.  Another strong rec if only for the fact the movie exists because Gene Kelly had a bit of an Irish Temper.  He ended up breaking his ankle after pounding it too hard on the ground after losing a Volleyball game.  Fred Astaire stepped in.  The plot's basically "Fred and Ginger break up, Fred tells Ginger he can teach anyone to dance, enter Judy Garland."  Only Ginger's played by Ann Miller. LOL.

The other KEY element to Judy Garland's work -- particularly in the 1960s, the time people the film takes place in -- are her live performances.  There's a reason people call her the Greatest Performer Of All Time.  

Listen to "Judy at Carnegie Hall".  It's available on Spotify, iTunes, and YouTube.  

AND.  On YouTube they have clips and episodes of The Judy Garland Show -- her variety show she did in the early 1960s.  Just a taste, here's ETHAL MERMAN, BARBRA STREISAND, and Judy singing "There's No Business Like Show Business"

and of course, probably one of the more famous moments:

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 1:24 PM, Jake Gittes said:

In the end Kelly won for having done 4 movies that year I think.

i've never seen country girl but it wouldn't have been hard for grace kelly to have been better than Garland's ham in that interminable film, so idk.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, gadd said:

Pleased to see such great notices for Zellweger. In an ideal world her co-star in this movie, Jessie Buckley, would be nominated alongside her for the latter's amazing performance in Wild Rose, which is one of 2019's most overlooked films.

"Meet Me In St.Louis" is a must see. It's considered to be as iconic a Garland performance as her in "Wizard" and "Star is Born".

"Easter Parade" is also a must see.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

After debuting in 461 theatres on September 27 and bringing in $2.9M for the weekend, Judy expanded wide last weekend and brought in a solid $4,598,798 ($3,154 PTA).

@captainwondyful I know you saw this and adored it! Anyone else? I'm annoyed it's not playing at my local but I imagine this will keep expanding a little more so maybe I have a shot.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

After debuting in 461 theatres on September 27 and bringing in $2.9M for the weekend, Judy expanded wide last weekend and brought in a solid $4,598,798 ($3,154 PTA).

@captainwondyful I know you saw this and adored it! Anyone else? I'm annoyed it's not playing at my local but I imagine this will keep expanding a little more so maybe I have a shot.

I quite enjoyed it. 

While the movie itself is a little uneven, I think Renee is the one to beat for the Oscar!

What's interesting about it's B.O. the last 5 days is that it's expansion on Friday was a little overwhelming. It almost tripled it's theatre count and increase only 49% week over week.  Saturday improved upon that a little bit, increasing 54% week over week. But Sunday saw a massive 73% increase week over week, Monday was a solid 64% increase week over week and Tuesday was a 90% increase week over week!!!

That's a nice trajectory. 

I'm hoping that it expands further this week. WOM must be pretty good if it's increasing like that. 

• Like 1