Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

This crowd reports will actually be a little bit different! I had 4 separate conversations with 4 different people and overheard one! This all took place at swimming! Take this with the biggest grain of salt because this is purely anecdotal. 

Toronto, Canada, Lifeguard class:

First subject (14-15, Male): I asked him if he was excited for Thor Ragnorok, he asked me what that was...I just replied "its a movie coming that I'm excited for". This shows me that there is a big fraction of of moviegoers who are not online and cannot see online buzz. This is interesting because everyone on multiple forums, youtube and reddit, acted like everyone and their mom was excited for Thor Ragnorok, and while that may be true, Youtube, Forums and Social Media only reflect a piece of the demographic that will make a movie successful. So, it really has to connect with everyone in order to be a success, that includes adults and kids, which this movie has not entirely been marketed to as much as Guardians and upcoming films like Star Wars and JL.

Subject Two (taking to other student. 14-15 Male): Mentioned that he really wanted to see It. He seems really excited for It and the friend shared that same excitement. I believe that It will attract a strong teenage following, readers/watchers of the book and TV series respectively but will turn families, the older demographic and children away. These people will likely only see it once.

Subject Three (15, Male): Asked me if I watched the JL trailer. Said he is extremely excited about it. Back and forth and we spoke about JL, Avengers: IW and BP. No mention of Thor :/

Yet again, we have to stop relying on trailer views to predict Box Office. Thor will do great but may be more frontloaded than one may expect.

Subject Four (15, Female): She is dying to see JL, she said the wait is too long. I asked her about what she thought of the other DC movies, to sum it up, she loved WW, loved MoS (claims it's one of the best), thought BvS was underwhelming because she expected it to be bigger and there to be more (post-BvS sting and the culture of expectations, but I'll get to that), no mention of SS, though I asked her if her Dad had a certain SS hot toy. So she was very excited and she claims to go see movies with family and friends. So JL may attract many families who want to see them and JL will do well on its own merits, kinda...

Subject Five (instructor, 21, Male): Asked him if he is seeing It, he is excited and will see it. Asked about Thor, he's seeing that, asked about JL "I don't give a ____ about JL". I asked him why and he said "because BvS sucked." I asked him which version he saw, he said the rated R version because he heard it was better. I was shocked and I told him that I loved it and he looked at me like I had nine heads. Then he went on to make fun of "Martha" and in my head I said oh brother, I can't escape it no matter where I go... and then he went on to say he wanted to see Avengers Infinity War (no mention of BP) and said Marvel does it better. Funny because he didn't see WW or GotG Vol 2 but he saw SMH. He heard that WW was good. This shows me that there will be a small chunk of the audience who already wrote off JL because of BvS (not SS because the GA had dumb fun with that one, just BvS) and the audience is aware that JL is a sequel to BvS! So this notion that WW will fix everything is kind of BS BUT....if JL comes out with positive reviews like WW, not groundbreaking but at least good, people will give this one a chance and wont say to themselves "this has bad reviews but Martha!", they will give this one a shot on maybe Monday, and tell their friends and they will see it second weekend. I still do think BvS might hurt a little but not to the point where it bleeds. The DC brand isn't box office poison like Transformers, or 2007-2014 Spiderman. 

One thing that shocked me is that there were no mentions of Star Wars at all! Maybe everyone forgot but the hype for both JL and SW8 have been a bit muted online but I think that we will see a big push in September and maybe JL and SW8 wont be too far apart in terms of gross. 

So yeah there you have it! My anecdotal evidence and observations! If you like this video make sure to smash that like button and subscribe!

Edited by raegr
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, raegr said:

This crowd reports will actually be a little bit different! I had 4 separate conversations with 4 different people and overheard one! This all took place at swimming! Take this with the biggest grain of salt because this is purely anecdotal. 

Toronto, Canada, Lifeguard class:

First subject (14-15, Male): I asked him if he was excited for Thor Ragnorok, he asked me what that was...I just replied "its a movie coming that I'm excited for". This shows me that there is a big fraction of of moviegoers who are not online and cannot see online buzz. This is interesting because everyone on multiple forums, youtube and reddit, acted like everyone and their mom was excited for Thor Ragnorok, and while that may be true, Youtube, Forums and Social Media only reflect a piece of the demographic that will make a movie successful. So, it really has to connect with everyone in order to be a success, that includes adults and kids, which this movie has not entirely been marketed to as much as Guardians and upcoming films like Star Wars and JL.

Subject Two (taking to other student. 14-15 Male): Mentioned that he really wanted to see It. He seems really excited for It and the friend shared that same excitement. I believe that It will attract a strong teenage following, readers/watchers of the book and TV series respectively but will turn families, the older demographic and children away. These people will likely only see it once.

Subject Three (15, Male): Asked me if I watched the JL trailer. Said he is extremely excited about it. Back and forth and we spoke about JL, Avengers: IW and BP. No mention of Thor :/

Yet again, we have to stop relying on trailer views to predict Box Office. Thor will do great but may be more frontloaded than one may expect.

Subject Four (15, Female): She is dying to see JL, she said the wait is too long. I asked her about what she thought of the other DC movies, to sum it up, she loved WW, loved MoS (claims it's one of the best), thought BvS was underwhelming because she expected it to be bigger and there to be more (post-BvS sting and the culture of expectations, but I'll get to that), no mention of SS, though I asked her if her Dad had a certain SS hot toy. So she was very excited and she claims to go see movies with family and friends. So JL may attract many families who want to see them and JL will do well on its own merits, kinda...

Subject Five (instructor, 21, Male): Asked him if he is seeing It, he is excited and will see it. Asked about Thor, he's seeing that, asked about JL "I don't give a ____ about JL". I asked him why and he said "because BvS sucked." I asked him which version he saw, he said the rated R version because he heard it was better. I was shocked and I told him that I loved it and he looked at me like I had nine heads. Then he went on to make fun of "Martha" and in my head I said oh brother, I can't escape it no matter where I go... and then he went on to say he wanted to see Avengers Infinity War (no mention of BP) and said Marvel does it better. Funny because he didn't see WW or GotG Vol 2 but he saw SMH. He heard that WW was good. This shows me that there will be a small chunk of the audience who already wrote off JL because of BvS (not SS because the GA had dumb fun with that one, just BvS) and the audience is aware that JL is a sequel to BvS! So this notion that WW will fix everything is kind of BS BUT....if JL comes out with positive reviews like WW, not groundbreaking but at least good, people will give this one a chance and wont say to themselves "this has bad reviews but Martha!", they will give this one a shot on maybe Monday, and tell their friends and they will see it second weekend. I still do think BvS might hurt a little but not to the point where it bleeds. The DC brand isn't box office poison like Transformers, or 2007-2014 Spiderman. 

One thing that shocked me is that there were no mentions of Star Wars at all! Maybe everyone forgot but the hype for both JL and SW8 have been a bit muted online but I think that we will see a big push in September and maybe JL and SW8 wont be too far apart in terms of gross. 

So yeah there you have it! My anecdotal evidence and observations! If you like this video make sure to smash that like button and subscribe!

Very insightful.

• Like 1

The Big Sick

August 10th, 12:40PM, 3% full

Trailers:

Top of the Lake: China Girl

Murder on the Orient Express

Victoria and Abdul

The Mountain Between Us

Wonder

There were only 3 people in there including me. The other two seemed to like it though.

• Like 1

Girls Trip

August 10, 10:05 AM, 10% full in a 78 seat auditorium

AMC Lake Square 12

Trailers:

True to the Game: No reactions

TYLER PERRY'S BOO 2! A MADEA HALLOWEEN: Laughs at the Get Out joke

Daddy's Home 2: No reactions

Proud Mary: Murmurs

The Mountain Between Us: No reactions

Annabelle: Creation: One "we're not seeing that!"

Pitch Perfect 3: Laughs

The small audience laughed throughout. 

Annabelle: Creation

August 11, 10:45 AM, 45% full in a 78 seat auditorium

AMC Lake Square 12

Trailers:

Friend Request: No reactions

Logan Lucky: No rections

mother!: Murmurs

Jigsaw: Murmurs and chuckles

The Mountain Between Us: No reactions

Happy Death Day: No reactions

Flatliners: No reactions

It: Murmurs

There were chuckles at some moments and one or two jumps. I heard a lot of varying reactions as people left. Only about 5 people stayed for the mid-credits scene, and I was all alone for the post-credits scene.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 1:08 PM, WrathOfHan said:

TYLER PERRY'S BOO 2! A MADEA HALLOWEEN: Laughs at the Get Out joke

Damn, Tyler is fast with pop culture referencing! :bravo: he's also one of the most consistent boxoffice draws. He has his fandom and they keep showing up. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Sad 1

Annabelle: Creation in Cinemark XD
August 11, 8:00 PM, 45% full

Cinemark Towson and XD, Towson, MD

Trailers:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle "Cinemark Connections" ad

Happy Death Day (chatter)

Flatliners

The Mountain Between Us (murmurs)

Jigsaw

It (laughs, chatter)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (BTS featurette, murmur)

A lot of laughing, screaming, chatter, talking to the movie, etc. throughout the movie.  People generally seemed to be into it.  Pretty much your standard horror movie crowd.  Only 2 other people stayed for the post credits scene.

• Like 1

Emoji Movie in PUTLOCKER because fuck this movie. 

August 13th? Who cares.

In a House, VA

No reactions besides me screaming at my computer and nearly physically breaking it. I haven't been feeling the same after finishing the movie. :depp:

Edited by afalconer7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Annabelle: Creation
August 10th, 9:45 PM, 40% full
Regal Nitro Stadium 12 | Nitro, WV

The crowd was mostly boring.

Trailers
Murder On the Orient Express - No reactions.
Logan Lucky - Some laughter.
Mother! - Some whispers.
Flatliners - No reactions.
It (Preview) - Sighs and one "Really?" during and after the preview.
Jigsaw - No reactions.

Nobody responded especially well to the film, but a few people were surprised by the jump scares. It was an alright horror film that didn't really try anything different.

• Like 1

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power

August 13, 4:40 PM, 25% full

Regal Hunt Valley Stadium 12, Hunt Valley, MD

Trailers:

Wonder (laughs, small chatter)

Only the Brave (very small murmurs)

Victoria & Abdul (laughs)

Geostorm (uhh...I can't remember much other than me laughing my ass off)

Breathe

Daddy's Home 2 (laughs)

Laughter throughout the movie at appropriate moments.  Some people also tried to clap at a few points during the movie and there were also a few small gasps and murmurs throughout.

• Like 1

Inception

August 13, 6:00PM, 65% full

Lockheed Martin Smithsonian IMAX Theater, Washington, DC

Trailers:

Dunkirk (First Teaser) - Laughter at smiling extra

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer 3 - Laughs at Jared Leto's speech rhythm

Wtf, was Dom dreaming at the end?

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Inception

August 13, 6:00PM, 65% full

Lockheed Martin Smithsonian IMAX Theater, Washington, DC

Trailers:

Dunkirk (First Teaser) - Laughter at smiling extra

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer 3 - Laughs at Jared Leto's speech rhythm

Wtf, was Dom dreaming at the end?

huh?

4 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Was it better than Interstellar?

Please answer.

Yes!

I'm a very big fan of Inception. While I know some people have pointed to its failures in terms of show don't tell, I feel like it's one of Nolan's most singularly focused works. From a direction standpoint, everything feels incredibly calculated in a positive way that makes the experience that more cathartic.

• Like 2

Annabelle: Creation in Dolby Cinema at AMC

August 13, 9:20 PM, 80% full

AMC Tysons Corner 16

Trailers

Jigsaw - murmurs

Thor: Ragnarok - laughs

mother! - murmurs

Happy Death Day - chatter

Flatliners

The Mountain Between Us

It - laughs, chatter

A Bad Moms Christmas - laughs

The audience seem to really enjoy it. Appropriate screams and jumps. Applause at the end which is suprising because I've never been to a horror film with applause at the end.

• Like 1

The Glass Castle

August 17, 2:50 PM, 15% full

Regal Hunt Valley Stadium 12, Hunt Valley, MD

Trailers:

Flatliners (murmurs)

Suburbicon (small laughs, murmurs)

Thank You for Your Service

Blade Runner 2049

Wonder (laughs)

American Assassin

A few scattered laughs sprinkled throughout the movie during appropriate moments.  That was it.

Logan Lucky

August 18th, 9:00PM, 15% full

Trailers:

Top of the Lake: China Girl

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

American Made

Terminator 2: Judgement Day 3D

American Assassin

Consistent laughs throughout. Good time.

Edited by aabattery

Logan Lucky

August 18, 10:15 AM, 15% full in a 124 seat auditorium

AMC Lake Square 12

Trailers:

Home Again: Chuckles at the final joke

mother!: Murmurs

American Made: No reactions

Flatliners: No reactions

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Trailer 1): Murmurs

It: Murmurs

Brad's Status: Murmurs

Breathe: Murmurs

The audience of a little over 15 people laughed throughout. There were lots of positive reactions on the way out.

• Like 1