Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Which scene had your eyes rolling Andy? Great report as always.

When Kirk is rotting in the radioactive chamber while Spock watches and they tell each other how much they care about each other. I rolled my eyes during the line about how important their friendship was and then they put their hands against the glass. It just reminded me too much of Spider-Man 3 when Harry Osbourne is dying and says, "you were always my friend, Peter" and Peter responds, "Best friends." Cheesy.Despite my eye-rolling, Zachary Quinto's intense enough during and after that scene that now I quickly forgot about SM3.

When Kirk is rotting in the radioactive chamber while Spock watches and they tell each other how much they care about each other. I rolled my eyes during the line about how important their friendship was and then they put their hands against the glass. It just reminded me too much of Spider-Man 3 when Harry Osbourne is dying and says, "you were always my friend, Peter" and Peter responds, "Best friends." Cheesy.Despite my eye-rolling, Zachary Quinto's intense enough during and after that scene that now I quickly forgot about SM3.

My friend had the same reaction but I told him to watch wrath of khan and he would get it.

Star Trek Into the Darkness3:15PMAbout 85% full. (Mostly older people, though some teens were there also I noticed)Trailers:The Internship: Laughs, mostly at the end.World War Z: Just some whispers.Despicable Me 2: Tons of laughs. Great reaction.Lone Ranger: Great reaction, people always seem to love the ending of it.Esylum: Forgot about this trailer till just now. No reaction.Last Vegas: Ummm...some laughs, looks like the old man Hangover. (Ironically I think Kline is the youngest but he looks older then the rest of the actors)Movie: Very good. Better then the first. The visuals were great as was the makeup. Loved the remix of the score. Pine did seem to channel Shatner at some points which I found amusing. The acting is good and I just really enjoyed it.Best of 2013.A

• Like 1

Star Trek Into Darkness

May 17, 5:50 PM, 90% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers

Despicable Me 2 - This was some viginette with the minions that bragged about the theater's 3D... even though I saw it in 2D... regardless, big laughs

Last Vegas - Some laughs

Ender's Game - no reaction

Despicable Me 2 - Actual trailer some laughs; not nearly as much as the early viginette.

Elysium - no response

Man of Steel - silence, and a lot of murmurs afterwards

World War Z - no response

Anchorman 2 - HUGE laughs; everyone in the theater was cracking up

I loved it. Best movie of the year so far. Audience loved it too, with huge laughs at Scotty and Spock at points, a few "yes!"s at

the Khan reveal

, and huge applause at the end. Great audience, great movie.

• Like 1

Star Trek Into the DarknessBest of 2013.A

Star Trek Into Darkness

I loved it. Best movie of the year so far. 

I agree that Star Trek Into Darkness was a great movie, but I think it's a pretty bold statement to call it the best movie of the year. When you say this, what films are you comparing to? Everything released so far in 2013 or just the films you've seen already? Have you watched Side EffectsStokerMudThe Place Beyond the PinesSpring Breakers? I admire your enthusiasm over the film, but  think it's careless to call something the "Best" until they've actually seen all else you can compare it to. Like with the Oscar's Best Picture category--I hate it when people definitively say Movie A is the Best Film when they haven't seen Movies B through J in the nominated category.

Sorry if I'm coming off arrogant or superior--I'm just genuinely curious as to why you're both quick to call it "the best"... probably because I disagree with you and caution others to be mislead by that assertion.

• Like 1

I agree that Star Trek Into Darkness was a great movie, but I think it's a pretty bold statement to call it the best movie of the year. When you say this, what films are you comparing to? Everything released so far in 2013 or just the films you've seen already? Have you watched Side EffectsStokerMudThe Place Beyond the PinesSpring Breakers? I admire your enthusiasm over the film, but  think it's careless to call something the "Best" until they've actually seen all else you can compare it to. Like with the Oscar's Best Picture category--I hate it when people definitively say Movie A is the Best Film when they haven't seen Movies B through J in the nominated category. Sorry if I'm coming off arrogant or superior--I'm just genuinely curious as to why you're both quick to call it "the best"... probably because I disagree with you and caution others to be mislead by that assertion.

Best of the year and I've seen Side Effects and Spring Breakers but not the others you've mentioned.
  • Like 1

From earlier today, forgot about writing it up:

Star Trek Into Darkness

May 17, 10:30 AM, 70% full

Universal Citywalk IMAX, CA

Trailers

Pacific Rim (first trailer) - no reaction

Ender's Game - no reaction

Man of Steel - one dude clapped

The movie was flawed and sort of a mess but still very entertaining. The crowd was responsive, laughing at the jokes and one dude clapped at "the reveal".

I agree that Star Trek Into Darkness was a great movie, but I think it's a pretty bold statement to call it the best movie of the year. When you say this, what films are you comparing to? Everything released so far in 2013 or just the films you've seen already? Have you watched Side EffectsStokerMudThe Place Beyond the PinesSpring Breakers? I admire your enthusiasm over the film, but  think it's careless to call something the "Best" until they've actually seen all else you can compare it to. Like with the Oscar's Best Picture category--I hate it when people definitively say Movie A is the Best Film when they haven't seen Movies B through J in the nominated category.

Sorry if I'm coming off arrogant or superior--I'm just genuinely curious as to why you're both quick to call it "the best"... probably because I disagree with you and caution others to be mislead by that assertion.

For me personally it's tied with Pines for best of the year so far. 

1. I'm not a Trekkie, and have basically never seen any of the older films (did when I was a kid and don't remember a thing about them), therefore everything borrowed from Wrath of Khan was new to me

2. None of the plot holes were egregious

3. It was an incredibly emotional film for a summer blockbuster, and that earns it bonus points. It's difficult to make me care that much during an action movie. 

• Like 2

The Croods 3D

May 16, 11:45 AM, 40% Full

Gopalan Cinemas(Grand mall), Bangalore(India)

Trailers

Epic- it was good not great-kids liked it there were few laughs from them :)

The movie is really good i felt the movie could have been a bit longer...no boring movements, 3d effects wer on par with IMAX 4/5

PS:it was the last day of the movie in this theatre there were families and couples too(alone) few teens and adults the ticket price was RS 80 approx $1.5 :D

When I post my crowd reports and reviews and I make statements like that, I do so with the understood implication that I'm only counting films I've seen. "Best 2013 release I have managed to see so far" may be more clear, but I feel like simply saying "Best movie of the year" settles it. I mean, I doubt you saw A Haunted House or Scary Movie 5, but does that make you less qualified for saying Mud is the best movie of the year? No, whenever someone, be it critic or forum poster, says some ultimatum like that, the implication is clear that it's the best film of the year. Now to answer your questions, no I haven't seen any of the movies that you listed since they either don't interest me, I didn't have money at the time to see them, or they haven't hit my area (I will be seeing Mud as soon as it hits a local theater).

I also feel like pointing out that even though I saw six of last year's BP nominees (Silver Linings Playbook, Life of Pi, Les Miserables, Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, and Lincoln, in order from favorite to least favorite), my top two films of last year didn't win any Oscars (Wreck-It Ralph and The Avengers). I love awards contenders, but I'm still much more of a genre film type of guy; it's the just the way my tastes align. Not all are like this, and that's what makes the Box Office Forums so nice; it's a place where film fans of any kind can interact with other film fans of different genres.

As for why I thought Star Trek Into Darkness was the best movie of the year so far... well, I think Star Trek '09 is one of the best sci-fi's in recent memory (I even say it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire. :P ) Star Trek '09 is one of my most rewatched films too. I'm also a huge sci-fi buff, particularly in the space adventure subgenre, which in film, is limited to the Stars, Trek and Wars. Seeing how rare these are, I was already expecting to like Star Trek Into Darkness. After one viewing of Into Darkness, I thought it was onpar with '09 which is a pretty hard thing to reach for me. The villain(s) were much better than '09, the emotion was there, and all in all, it was a worthy sequel. I gave Star Trek Into Darkness an A+ in the review thread, and my second through fourth place films of the year so far (Iron Man 3, The Croods, and Oz: The Great and Powerful) are all A-'s in comparison.

Also, I don't think I've ever said this to you, but I really do appreciate your crowd reports. They always are insightful and I really appreciate how much time you put into them. :) Hope you liked this response, and it's not too argumentative. :P

• Like 2

You know not everyone sees 50 films a year :P Really-I am considered to be someone that sees tons of films but nowhere as near as many as you guys. Just because I like it does not mean eveyrone will.

• Like 1

Star Trek Into Darkness

May 19, 12:20 PM, 60% full

Regal Battery Park, NYC

Trailers

World War Z - no reaction

Elysium - no reaction

The Internship - some laughs

Man of Steel - some murmuring

Despicable Me 2 - great reaction

The Lone Ranger - no reaction

Movie

Sure, it's dumb but I really liked it. Loved the cast, Cumberbatch in particular.

• Like 2

MEGAPLEX 7 CARIBBEAN CINEMAS

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS 3.45PM  / 4O% full

TRAILERS

world war z (these zombies have some crazy ninja moves shame on you regular joe zombies from TWD lol)

ff6 (still not impress and still don't care about this franchise,i've only ever seen the first one and roll my eyes so much i dare not watch the others)

thor 2 AWESOME TRAILER  i loooove it, chris hemsworth is so thor and then lokiiiiiiii B)

love the movie and will be seeing it again, i loved the twist esp as i feared all along it might be

spock

which would put a dent into my OTP romance of star trek 

one thing i have to say ,its a real treat when you have read the comics leading up to this movie ,one of them deals with the little furry animal dr mccoy was experimenting on,lots of other stuff which gave a better understandment of where the characters are as the film happens

ps :

did anyone else get feels of farscape and star wars watching this, opening sequence reminded me of an episode of farscape

"I , E.T.", the star wars bit can't remember what made me think that but i'll try to catch it next time

kirk has a really nice arc in this film , he's becoming the captain we know, and how great was it , a victory for all communications officers in starfleet  UHURA ACTUALLY SPOKE AN ALIEN LANGUAGE YESSSSS :hi5:  :bravo: i was like no way are you not using zoe saldana talented tongue for weird fake languages , the girl can speak na'vi HELLLOOOO love love that scene

spock and uhura :cloud9: .....

first scene benedict cumberbatch appears in , i said aloud "sherlock holmes" i'm such a geek  -_-

• Like 1

MEGAPLEX 7 CARIBBEAN CINEMAS

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS 3.45PM  / 4O% full

TRAILERS

world war z (these zombies have some crazy ninja moves shame on you regular joe zombies from TWD lol)

ff6 (still not impress and still don't care about this franchise,i've only ever seen the first one and roll my eyes so much i dare not watch the others)

thor 2 AWESOME TRAILER  i loooove it, chris hemsworth is so thor and then lokiiiiiiii B)

love the movie and will be seeing it again, i loved the twist esp as i feared all along it might be

spock

which would put a dent into my OTP romance of star trek 

one thing i have to say ,its a real treat when you have read the comics leading up to this movie ,one of them deals with the little furry animal dr mccoy was experimenting on,lots of other stuff which gave a better understandment of where the characters are as the film happens

ps :

did anyone else get feels of farscape and star wars watching this, opening sequence reminded me of an episode of farscape

"I , E.T.", the star wars bit can't remember what made me think that but i'll try to catch it next time

kirk has a really nice arc in this film , he's becoming the captain we know, and how great was it , a victory for all communications officers in starfleet  UHURA ACTUALLY SPOKE AN ALIEN LANGUAGE YESSSSS :hi5:  :bravo: i was like no way are you not using zoe saldana talented tongue for weird fake languages , the girl can speak na'vi HELLLOOOO love love that scene

spock and uhura :cloud9: .....

first scene benedict cumberbatch appears in , i said aloud "sherlock holmes" i'm such a geek  -_-

Do you go to CaribbeanCinemas?

• Like 1