cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Really am feeling great about this DOM. It just feels like there’s interest beyond what anime normally does DOM. R Patz’ voice buzz on social is great for it. 

How is the buzz for this movie in NA so far? 

Can its box office be bigger than what anime often does in DOM? 

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Really am feeling great about this DOM. It just feels like there’s interest beyond what anime normally does DOM. R Patz’ voice buzz on social is great for it. 

4 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

How is the buzz for this movie in NA so far? 

Can its box office be bigger than what anime often does in DOM? 

Suzume made $11 million in NA...

Maybe The Boy and the Heron can make $20 million. 🤷‍♂️

I mean… the last Miyazaki fantasy grossed roughly 25m adjusted for inflation DOM back when his rep and legacy in the west was much less established. I still don’t see why this can’t be one of the bigger anime DOM movies. The lack of kid appeal is balanced by a sizable adult audience that I think could be interested. 

On 11/3/2023 at 11:03 PM, ThomasNicole said:

The star cast for the English version seems to be already paying off 

Robert Pattinson voice acting is already a viral on social media, saw many big posts on Twitter and TikTok after this short 

I'm still reeling from the fact that we'll be hearing that actor's voice come out of that character. And you Americans haven't even seen much of his true form yet.

• Like 1

$20M should definitely be the benchmark, as that would place it as the highest grossing Ghibli film in NA unadjusted, above Arrietty. Arrietty is the only other Ghibli film to have gotten a wide release in the US. FWIW, the highest grossing GKIDS release is currently Weathering With You at $8M, which this should surpass with ease.

This should be in next week's long range forecast at BOP, right? I'd be curious where they go with it.

To me that crazy Fathom Events gross for Howl’s during Ghibli Fest recently shouldn’t be overlooked either. I will insist there are way more Ghibli/Miyazaki fans domestically now than there were when he left the scene. Ponyo hit $15m in 08, granted with the advantage of kid’s appeal, but I will continue to believe that movie adjusted should be at least attainable here (25 or so).  

17 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah I think something just didn’t click great with Japanese audiences, but it’s clicking otherwise 

I would say different. At least in South Korea and Taiwan, Heron gross below the other two big anime hit Suzume and SD substantially, just like in Japan. If the reception among GA there are any better, Heron should have no problem at least come close to that two hits in both countries. 

Whereas in western market I believe Heron would have landslide victories compared to other comparable anime. France and Spain already showing that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I would say different. At least in South Korea and Taiwan, Heron gross below the other two big anime hit Suzume and SD substantially, just like in Japan. If the reception among GA there are any better, Heron should have no problem at least come close to that two hits in both countries. 

Whereas in western market I believe Heron would have landslide victories compared to other comparable anime. France and Spain already showing that. 

So maybe an issue with broader Asian audiences in general then, yet clicking with Westerners? Very interesting if so. 

17 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

So maybe an issue with broader Asian audiences in general then, yet clicking with Westerners? Very interesting if so. 

I prefer to attribute this to better awareness for Suzume as Shinkai was equally well-known in Asia but Shinkai simply just isn't at the same level as Miyazaki when it come to popularity in the West.  As for SD, SD is a long running franchise with loyal and casual fans, combined with nostalgic factor, that is the formula for a megahit. 

On 11/4/2023 at 4:03 AM, ThomasNicole said:

The star cast for the English version seems to be already paying off 

Robert Pattinson voice acting is already a viral on social media, saw many big posts on Twitter and TikTok after this short 

I prefer the new English-dubbed trailer over the initial trailer and the voice-casting is stacked. Less mystical and look more accessible. I am in for everything that mean more BO. GKIDS should really have these actors to promote the movie shall the strike end by then. 

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I prefer to attribute this to better awareness for Suzume as Shinkai was equally well-known in Asia but Shinkai simply just isn't at the same level as Miyazaki when it come to popularity in the West.  As for SD, SD is a long running franchise with loyal and casual fans, combined with nostalgic factor, that is the formula for a megahit. 

I prefer the new English-dubbed trailer over the initial trailer and the voice-casting is stacked. Less mystical and look more accessible. I am in for everything that mean more BO. GKIDS should really have these actors to promote the movie shall the strike end by then. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is eligible for a SAG exemption, GKIDS aren't exactly a big house.