cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

spirited away, howl moving castle and the wind rises. Next up is golden globe. Miyazaki never got nominated there.

He hasn't been for animated feature, but The Wind Rises did get a foreign language film nomination at the golden globes.

edit: 2013 was also the only year that the GGs only nominated 3 films for animated feature (usually it's 5), so it's a weird exclusion.

Edited by harrisonisdead

The biggest obstacle this movie is going to have to winning the Oscar is Elemental. That movie has a strong narrative now with its box office comeback kid story, Peter Sohn also has a very Oscar friendly story to tell about the connections of the film with his family, and he'll be out there campaigning when that's not something Miyazaki would ever do. Combine that with the academy's preference for movies their kids have seen most years and I think this film has an uphill battle.

• ...wtf 2

5 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

The biggest obstacle this movie is going to have to winning the Oscar is Elemental. That movie has a strong narrative now with its box office comeback kid story, Peter Sohn also has a very Oscar friendly story to tell about the connections of the film with his family, and he'll be out there campaigning when that's not something Miyazaki would ever do. Combine that with the academy's preference for movies their kids have seen most years and I think this film has an uphill battle.

Elemental has low box office (sub $500M WW), made $150M in the US, none of the songs went viral, and has a 58 Metacritic and 74% RT score.

It will get nominated because Disney, but it isn’t in serious contention for actually winning.

• Like 1

I don't think it's going to matter. Spiderverse is going to get dinged for being a sequel, a super hero movie, and for only being half a film. The academy has no problem disagreeing with critics and Elemental has been the recipient of glowing press coverage the last few months. 

• ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I don't disagree, but not because of that narrative, but because "Well, Disney has been beat up this year, how about we pity reward them again."

11 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Elemental has low box office (sub $500M WW), made $150M in the US, none of the songs went viral, and has a 58 Metacritic and 74% RT score.

It will get nominated because Disney, but it isn’t in serious contention for actually winning.

What songs? Elemental isn’t a musical 

The box office was actually one of the biggest stories of rebound this year, it ended up being profitable 

I mean sure the reviews aren’t amazing but Brave won with similar reception 

Personally i still think the real battle is Hayao x Spidey, but Elemental is obviously the third route 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

I don't disagree, but not because of that narrative, but because "Well, Disney has been beat up this year, how about we pity reward them again."

I think it's going to be more about their love for Pixar and rewarding them for having a successful original film after being forced to release so many of their movies straight to streaming, but yes, something like this will be a factor too.

25 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Uh no. It's Spider verse2

41 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I don't think it's going to matter. Spiderverse is going to get dinged for being a sequel, a super hero movie, and for only being half a film. The academy has no problem disagreeing with critics and Elemental has been the recipient of glowing press coverage the last few months. 

The Academy showing for Spiderverse this Friday sold out in like 2 days several weeks ago.

They are plenty receptive of it.

The 4.5 Letterboxd score is literally the highest of all movies this year, which makes it the crowd pleaser king, and has 86 Metacritic too.

Its a 2 horse race.

Edited by Valencia

On 11/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, Valencia said:

ELEMENTAL HAD SONGS?

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

RT audience score continuing to rise. Hope it nears 90% for OW, want this to have everything it can going for it. 

Elemental has 0.0% chance of winning BAF, but that was a nice chuckle. 

Academy has a hard on for Disney, but at this point, Heron is a clear frontrunner.