cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

On 10/9/2023 at 1:51 AM, cannastop said:

Sounds great I can't wait to see it.

My friend have seen the movie in Taiwan and he thought this is the most inaccessible Miyazaki's film or Ghibli film but still think the movie is great.   

Also Heron's BO performance in Taiwan pretty much confirm the correlation. The lower gross in home country, the lower its overseas gross. Heron's OW come below that of Suzume, First Slam Dunk and the latest Conan.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 4:31 PM, titanic2187 said:

My friend have seen the movie in Taiwan and he thought this is the most inaccessible Miyazaki's film or Ghibli film but still think the movie is great.   

Also Heron's BO performance in Taiwan pretty much confirm the correlation. The lower gross in home country, the lower its overseas gross. Heron's OW come below that of Suzume, First Slam Dunk and the latest Conan.  

yeah to be clear I wasn't being sarcastic.

The fact that some people don't like it makes me think I might like it all the more.

(No spoilers in this post.) I saw this today. I'll have to chew on it, but I undoubtedly liked it a lot. It's certainly surreal to watch a Miyazaki movie that isn't already well-established within his filmography. Last time that was the case was when I watched The Wind Rises, and I was in middle school at the time.

It feels a bit like if you crossed The Wind Rises with Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away. Like The Wind Rises, the autobiographical musings are a bit more apparent than his previous work, and I feel like there's that same push and pull between portraying optimism and letting genuine fears seep through. But plot-wise it's probably more comparable to Spirited Away, and tonally it reaches towards Howl's Moving Castle, though somehow both more surreal and more coherent. There are stylistic choices in the animation that I really don't think Miyazaki has accessed before (maybe Takeshi Honda influenced some of that?), along with the expected beautiful imagery. Part of what separates it tonally is that Joe Hisaishi's score is quite different from any of his other Ghibli work. It's often a lot more minimalistic (maybe points to Hisaishi's roots) but then pulls in the sweeping emotion at key points. At points, dialogue is omitted while the music and sound effects fill the scene.

The movie has a solemn subject matter but the film has a ton of humor-- The audience was laughing pretty frequently, particularly at visual gags. It's definitely not a complete downer of a movie (I say, as if The Wind Rises isn't my favorite Miyazaki), though it spends more time in harsh reality than most of his films (in Spirited Away, Chihiro is thrust into a fantasy world a couple minutes in. Here there's more significant buildup in the real world). There's a certain darkness and maturity that carries through the film, but it also has plenty of silly little guys!

That's all. Will definitely need to rewatch when it hits wide release. And, just to confirm, How Do You Live? is the better name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Maybe some of them just do it for the love of Miyazaki... or maybe GKIDS pays like Disney did.

I bet there is gonna be another trailer closer to the release, no way they are letting go these names without promotion in a trailer. 

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Maybe some of them just do it for the love of Miyazaki... or maybe GKIDS pays like Disney did.

Feels like former reason gives better clarity than later. I hope they can pull the legs well from their fan-following since Original Films does worser than Manga-adapted film

36 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Probably a bit of column A, bit of column B. GKIDS is already giving this their widest release, so I'm sure they're putting more overall budget into this than probably any of their previous films. GKIDS seems to usually secure at least a couple celebs/recognizable names, so I think it's attractive prospect to do some easy voicework especially for a prestigious studio like Ghibli, but this has to be their starriest dub cast.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cannastop said:

seems like most of these people have dubbed a Ghibli movie before.

Yeah, it's kinda interesting: Takuya Kimura, who originally played Howl, has a special appearance role as the father in this film. Christian Bale, who dubbed Howl, will also once again be dubbing over Takuya Kimura's character in The Boy and the Heron. They kinda carried over the reference.

• Like 1