Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Opening night sellouts:

9.8% Minions shows tonight are sellouts

That's up on Jurassic's 9.3% for its opening Friday night

however bear in mind:

-JW had over twice as many shows

-JW burned off some demand on Thursday

Still, incredible that it is ahead of JW given that it's a kids animated movie and this is evening showings only that I am talking about.

• Like 2

I imagine it'll be closer to Toy Story 3 and DM2's three day opening than Jurassic World but still impressive. 

Obviously JW is a poor example but I only recently started tracking sellouts so that's the only one I can compare with :)

Following its strong $7.4m (£4.9m) previews last weekend, there was no doubt Despicable Me 2 would open big at the UK box office - it was just a question of how big.
The result was an excellent $22.6m (£14.9m) debut, including previews, with $15.2m (£10m) taken Friday to Sunday.

So +10% from DM2(without previews)

and under 40% drop for JW again :o

Edited by Kylin Zhang

Minions looking very strong today around me, every show at my local cineworld is at minimum a third full, before 5pm it's at least half full, and a couple are near sell outs. Also, Jurassic World has some pretty respectable pre sales for today, should sell out a couple of shows today, but that's going to be aided by the fact it's been relegated to the third biggest and the smallest screens.

£10m is still fantastic, on par with DM2 and considering the fantastic weather we've been having. It doesn't bode well for Terminator and Magic Mike XXL since it's set to continue next weekend. I think £40m total for Minions but it does depend on how its affected by competition especially Inside Out.