Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

10 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

True...............the film is not without faults, but what film isn't?

Its just the fact that there was a clear attempt to undermine the film from the outset, based somewhat on the Sony leaks, and DC's comments regarding the Bond role....and if you actually read these reviews, they are so generic in content......in that their criticisms could of been applied to any Bond film.

I assure you I had zero agenda against the film. I loved all three of the Craig Bond movies up to this point and was looking forward to Spectre. I just disliked the stuff that happens in the third act. The script needed a lot more work. The movie is not a total disaster or anything though. The first two acts are very, very good IMHO. In general it's much better than trash like Transformers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And if they gushed praise about it, you would call them brilliant. The movie is not perfect and it's way longer than it should be. There is nothing wrong with people voicing complaints.

The fact that the movie has certain Bond cliches might be an issue to them, but do these box office numbers look like the audience agree?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heretic said:

MJ2 hits next weekend, which should open to around $20m, like the previous two. Bond will probably see its first big drop, but it will easily be passed £85m by Sunday. £100m isn't totally out of the question, but I think it's more likely it ends up around the £95m mark.

I'm not fully sold on Mockingjay hitting that high anymore. Yes it has 3D, but there genuinely doesn't feel like there is any excitement or buzz for it at all. 

Sony also notch highest new entry as The Lady in the Van posts terrific $3.5m (£2.3m) from 540 sites, and becomes second distributor ever to record a 1-2-3 (based solely on Fri-Sun) at the top of the chart.

Further distributor results to come…

SONY

As Spectre retained its grip on the top spot, Sony became only the second distributor ever to record a 1-2-3 (based solely on Fri-Sun) at the top of the chart following Universal earlier this year.

Sony’s latest Bond mission fell 40% on its way to $12m (£7.9m) for a stonking $118m (£77.6m) after 21 days in play. That makes it the fourth biggest film of all time, with Titanic’s $122m (£80.1m) - including its 3D re-release - shortly to be surpassed.

Spectre is currently tracking just ahead of Skyfall, which stood at $117.6m (£77.27m) at the same stage in its run.Skyfall posted a higher third weekend of $15.9m (£10.45m), yet this was achieved earlier in its run (days 15-17).

Skyfall posted a 47% drop in its fourth weekend with $8.47m (£5.57m) as The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 opened. Spectre faces a similar challenge with the arrival of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 on Thursday [Nov 19].

Sony also provided this week’s highest new entry as The Lady in the Van opened with a terrific $3.5m (£2.3m) from its 540 screens, ahead of what is likely to be some very healthy midweek numbers.

That marks the best debut, by some distance, for director Nicholas Hytner as it topped The History Boys’ $1.2m (£794,672) from 292 sites. The Lady in the Van will likely soon topple that film’s $6.4m (£4.22m) as Hytner’s best-ever performance.

The opening again shows the strength of the ‘grey pound’ at the box office, and is comparable to the $3.38m (£2.22m) debut of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel from its 504 sites.

Completing the Fri-Sun 1-2-3 for Sony was Hotel Transylvania 2 as it posted another slim drop of 18% on its way to $1.38m (£906,000) for $28.3m (£18.6m). It still stands a great chance of becoming the 14th film this year to crack the £20m mark.

Since the start of October, Sony have accounted for just over 53% of the market and have been number one for five consecutive weeks. This weekend saw them account for over 70% of the market.

WARNER BROS

Holding extremely well in its fifth weekend, Warner Bros’Pan sailed to an extra $736,000 (£484,000) for a solid $12.8m (£8.41m) to date.

Also for Warner Bros, Fathers and Daughters could only manage a $38,000 (£25,000) UK bow from its 104 sites.

PARAMOUNT

In its fourth week, Paramount’s Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension found a further $228,000 (£150,000) for $5.9m (£3.85m) to date.

Also for Paramount, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse unsurprisingly struggled following its soft opening, taking just $123,000 (£81,000) for $816,000 (£537,000).

EONE

Nearing the end of its run, eOne’s The Last Witch Hunter added $132,000 (£86,751) for $4.1m (£2.71m) after four weeks in play.

Also for eOne, The Hallow couldn’t quite capitalise on its fitting Friday 13th opening as it unearthed $79,000 (£51,709), including $5,700 (£3,726) in previews, from its 46 sites.

Way over-estimated again. Still, huge 3 week total. Spectre should be right around the £85m mark by Sunday, after a fourth weekend of around £4m. So there's no way really that £90m ($135m+) doesn't happen now. Whether it beats Avatar depends how hard MJ2, and the The Good Dinosaur the week after hit it. 

HT2 will pass $30m just before TGD. Great run.

Impressive opening for The Lady in the Van. Definitely looking at a £10m+ run.

• Like 1

CF and MJ1 had almost identical opening. CF made £2.1m on Thursday, and then £10.1m for the weekend for a £12.2m 4 day. MJ1 had a £2.3m Thursday, and £10.3m weekend for £12.6m.

The hype doesn't seem as big, but I still think it'll open to a similar number. Walk-ups are always big with this franchise. I'd say £2.5m Thursday, and £10.5m weekend, for £13m ($20m).

15 hours ago, Bond Bug said:

The fact that the movie has certain Bond cliches might be an issue to them, but do these box office numbers look like the audience agree?  

Based on this logic, Thunderball is better than Dr. No and From Russia With Love combined. The Dark Knight Rises is 3 times better than Batman Begins. All three Pirates sequels are about twice as good as the first Pirates movie. And on and on and on. James Bond is a popular franchise and is going to make a ton of money no matter what, especially coming off Skyfall. Quality does not equal box office and box office does not equal quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Based on this logic, Thunderball is better than Dr. No and From Russia With Love combined. The Dark Knight Rises is 3 times better than Batman Begins. All three Pirates sequels are about twice as good as the first Pirates movie. And on and on and on. James Bond is a popular franchise and is going to make a ton of money no matter what, especially coming off Skyfall. Quality does not equal box office and box office does not equal quality.

If a review is about the quality of the filmmaking, then yes I agree. But in my book a review should be about more than quality. It should be about the experience. 

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

CF and MJ1 had almost identical opening. CF made £2.1m on Thursday, and then £10.1m for the weekend for a £12.2m 4 day. MJ1 had a £2.3m Thursday, and £10.3m weekend for £12.6m.

The hype doesn't seem as big, but I still think it'll open to a similar number. Walk-ups are always big with this franchise. I'd say £2.5m Thursday, and £10.5m weekend, for £13m ($20m).

MJ 2 Should open bigger then last two surely as it is the Finale!

I think Mockingjay part 2 will hurt Spectre more than Twilight did with Skyfall because the audience is much broader and it's the first action film in three weeks. 

I'm curious how TGD does on its OW, my guess will be £6-7m which would be very good. Bridge of Spies I'm think £1.5-1.7m similar to Lincoln and around the same for Black Mass if not a bit lower, those three along with MJII's second week will mean Spectre will lose screens

19 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

63% on RT is flattering, it's not a good movie, but it has its moments, easily the third best Craig Bond flick. Its run is better than expected, thought it will end up around £85, now £90 is happening. SW will beat it though, no doubt.

'Alfred' any idea on the UK Monday BO for SP.

Its strange how people from different cultures have a different opinion on this film................looks like the last 2 Bonds will end up as the top 2 films on UK all-time film list (non inflation adjusted).

btw:- £20 of that £90 take you specify was from my wallet. :lol:

8 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

63% on RT is flattering, it's not a good movie, but it has its moments, easily the third best Craig Bond flick. Its run is better than expected, thought it will end up around £85, now £90 is happening. SW will beat it though, no doubt.

I can dream that Star Wars will beat it, but that's a pretty fucking insane target to hit. I can dream though. 

18 minutes ago, Heretic said:

MJ2 pre-sales are picking up. OD evening shows are filling up very quickly.

The double feature in the US is doing surprisingly well too.  I think the movie will make a little more than people expect, at least I hope.

• Like 1