Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

It is good business for all cinemas. Boutique chains obviously fall behind when a behemoth arrives, because they have smaller screens, so even if every show sold out they still trailing a multiplex. But generally that model is better imho, because they make smaller losses throughout the year. For Vue and CW, Barbenheimer is a saviour to cover losses this year while Everyman is seeing profit. Cinemas who are serving alcohol and food are laughing. Out of the art-house chains Picturehouse Central were slaying this weekend. In general central London went absolutely bananas with Barbenheimer, probably attracting tourist as well, who are usually wouldn't go to cinema when abroad.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It is good business for all cinemas. Boutique chains obviously fall behind when a behemoth arrives, because they have smaller screens, so even if every show sold out they can still trailing a multiplex. But generally that model is better imho, because they make smaller losses throughout the year. For Vue and CW, Barbenheimer is a saviour to cover losses this year while Everyman is seeing profit. Cinemas who are serving alcohol and food are laughing.

That's true, there are pros and cons of being a boutique chain but they can weather quiet periods but also they can show films which don't do huge business in the multiplexes but play really well with a specific audience like Asteroid City. 

30 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It is good business for all cinemas. Boutique chains obviously fall behind when a behemoth arrives, because they have smaller screens, so even if every show sold out they still trailing a multiplex. But generally that model is better imho, because they make smaller losses throughout the year. For Vue and CW, Barbenheimer is a saviour to cover losses this year while Everyman is seeing profit. Cinemas who are serving alcohol and food are laughing. Out of the art-house chains Picturehouse Central were slaying this weekend. In general central London went absolutely bananas with Barbenheimer, probably attracting tourist as well, who are usually wouldn't go to cinema when abroad.

The number of people I saw at Barbie last night with cocktails was kinda crazy 🤣 great crowd

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The number of people I saw at Barbie last night with cocktails was kinda crazy 🤣 great crowd

A friend of mine saw the NT Live Fleabag at Picturehouse Central a few years back and that was a real boom for any sort of alcoholic beverage sold there. 

I remember seeing NTTD at the Everyman in Chelsea and that was benefitting from Bond inspired cocktails being sold. 

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

A friend of mine saw the NT Live Fleabag at Picturehouse Central a few years back and that was a real boom for any sort of alcoholic beverage sold there. 

I remember seeing NTTD at the Everyman in Chelsea and that was benefitting from Bond inspired cocktails being sold. 

The vodka martini's at NTTD were very nice, Everyman is a good night out when you're not driving haha

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The vodka martini's at NTTD were very nice, Everyman is a good night out when you're not driving haha

I think what makes Everyman and other boutique chains work is the intimacy and the environment in general and the fact you can get creative with certain films when it comes to food and beverages. A customer is more likely to spend money on cocktails if it themed, I wouldn't because I don't drink alcohol but I think that sense of event and fun is important and Barbenheimer has brought that.

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

This is the best weekend for the cinemas in so long just in terms of health for the industry, let alone the sheer volume. 

It's quite hard to replicate though because it's very rare to see two big releases in the same weekend. You'd have to go back to Transformers and The Simpsons Movie in 2007 for a similar OW. 

That being said, it does show that despite the woes that cinema can still attract audiences. 

2 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

@Heretic how big are the increases for the holdovers looking

Unsure but looking at shows today I think pretty big, partly helped by poor weather also. Wouldn’t be surprised if Elemental was near double yesterday’s figure.

Elemental is falling foul of Barbenheimer demand with cinemas which they don't have the capacity to keep it but I suspect with summer holidays, it can make it up in the long run. I assume Disney is more lenient to a smaller chain which has capacity caps compared to a big multiplex when it comes to cancelling screenings.