Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Yesterday the Frankfurt airport (9th biggest in the world, biggest working place in Germany) was down for ??? hours beside not being positioned in a snow-rich region. Today they expect in some regions nearby the alps ~ 1 feet new-snow. Luckyly I do not live there anymore => I am guessing in Germany and Austria also some ppl might not want to drive to the cinema. :badday:

Is there anywhere on the worl a kind of list that includes details like weather conditions, national holidays typically spend with family or with-out, big sports events... too? Could be interesting...

Never thought about that (even if I was visiting Vienna last year...) :)  but counts that also for the other ~ 5 million ppl too? Since I live in country-side my cinema visits decreased extreme, to much time / ... neded to drive to one.

Greater London should also have not so much decrease through the wintery situation or?

if it takes you too long to drive anyway, it won't make much difference if it's snowy ;)

In the USA it's different because driving is so much more important; in Europe it's a minority that has to drive to watch a movie.

Minority? Not so sure. There live a lot of ppl on countryside and in smaller cities with probably only 1 cinema. And those smaller cities tend to be build on rather loosely (nicht eng bebaut) => even in smaller cities they tend to drive, especially as the smaller cities often have not so great public traffic thingies... And even in a big city there are parts the ppl nowadays drive by car to, not all like the bicycle in colder months or...

Never thought about that (even if I was visiting Vienna last year...) :)  but counts that also for the other ~ 5 million ppl too? Since I live in country-side my cinema visits decreased extreme, to much time / ... neded to drive to one. Greater London should also have not so much decrease through the wintery situation or?

No London won't be affected at all it mostly snowed on the south coast.It's the same here though. Snow leads to a decrease in admissions, and heatwaves during the summer absolutely slaughter the BO. But it recovers after the weather returns to normal.

In respect of Parker and Mr Statham there does appear to be a general decline in his film's grosses in the USA and UK, I expect based on this for his films to start entering the straight to dvd range.

Oz's opening is disappointing and I wonder how it will compare to Jack's opening on the 22nd?

Screendaily.

Disney’s 3D prequel grossed an additional $3.9m (£2.6m), climbing to $11.62m (£7.68m) to date.

Wreck-It Ralph remained in this week’s top five at fourth and is up to $33.3m (£22m) following a $644,000 (£425,844)

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone could only manage a $449,000 (£296,812) debut from its 388 sites for a weak average of $1,158 (£765) per site.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters has now crossed the £3m mark after slicing its way to a further $334,000 (£220,812) to stand at $4.8m (£3.2m) through Paramount.

Dropping 64% in its second weekend, Paramount’s The Guilt Trip is up to $1.2m (£814,123)

Argo, meanwhile, added $148,000 (£97,750) and stands at $11.6m (£7.7m)

Lionsgate released Lee Daniels’ much-talked about The Paperboy in 81 sites, resulting in a non-final $207,000 (£137,000) debut at a solid average of $2,558 (£1,691)

Oz had a good drop even against The Croods, I'm guessing Croods will be number 1 next week with £4-5m including the previews. Jack the Giant Slayer I think will do £1.5-2m at best, Identity Thief, unsure about but over £1m would be okay.Burt Wonderstone pretty badly like it did in the US, I didn't think it was going to do well but not that badly,

I didn't realise until yesterday that Oblivion isn't 3D. I saw Cineworld taking bookings for 2D and was perplexed as to why there was no 3D.As for The Evil Dead, it seems to be one of the bigger wildcards of the next few months, it could go as high as some of the Saw films, or as low as Piranha 3DD, or anywhere inbetween. Will definitely be an interesting one to watch, just a shame I won't get a chance to go and see it.

I imagine it'll pick up with the releases of Obilvion, Iron Man 3 etc plus smaller films like Evil Dead, think the UK has been lucky to have had a strong two months, March is a bit lacklustre in comparison.

Yeah it will pick up over Easter break too which starts this weekend.

GI Joe 2 will be the big hitter over Easter I think with The Rock, Tatum and the sequel factor.