Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

£4.8m ($7.3m) previews! 5 day's gonna be over £10m, possibly nearer £11m ($17m). Incredible.

Third biggest opening of the year including and excluding previews, not sure if it can hit over £5m for its three day weekend considering its already made over £4m for just previews but it'll still a great OW. This is the End should do good although not sure on how much, £2-2.5m would be good.

Warner Bros’ 3D reboot retains top spot for second consecutive week, despite stiff competition from World War Z.

It might not be a bird or a plane, but it’s definitely a hit.Man of Steel has scored an excellent second weekend in the UK to retain the number one slot.

Warner Bros’ 3D reboot added $7.7m (£5.1m) to soar past the £20m mark after just ten days in play and has amassed $32.7m (£21.3m).

That tally makes it director Zack Snyder’s best-ever UK performer, surpassing 300’s $21.9m (£14.2m), and also saw it easily past previous Superman outing, Superman Returns, which took $24.8m (£16.1m).

This year’s other superhero hit, Iron Man 3, stood at $37.8m (£24.6m) after its second weekend but that total included its $3.6m (£2.3m) previews. With its UK run nearing its end, Marvel’s threequel is up to $56.7m (£36.9m).

Also for Warner Bros, The Hangover Part III has grossed $29.9m (£18.8m) following a $482,000 (£313,280) weekend and - barring an unlikely last-minute surge - will end its UK run as the trilogy’s lowest grosser.

The Great Gatsby added $242,000 (£157,578) for $23.4m (£15.2m) to date.

UNIVERSAL

While they won’t be included on this week’s official top ten, Universal’s weekend previews of Despicable Me 2were outstanding, grossing $7.3m (£4.8m) over Saturday and Sunday.

On those alone, the animated sequel has already recorded a bigger opening than its predecessor’s $5.6m (£3.7m) with a £10m+ debut almost guaranteed.

Fast & Furious 6 added $243,000 (£158,000) in its sixth weekend through Universal as it closes in on £25m.

The sixth instalment in the action racing franchise is now up to $38.2m (£24.9m).

PARAMOUNT

Despite failing to dethrone Man of Steel, Paramount’sWorld War Z impressed on its UK debut as it charted second.

Marc Forster’s adaptation of Max Brooks’ novel scored a $6.5m (£4.5m) opening from its 487 sites for the weekend’s best site average at $14,247 (£9,261). 47.9% of its gross came from 3D performances.

Also for Paramount, Star Trek Into Darkness is up to $39.2m (£25.5m).

SONY

In its third weekend of release, After Earth fell one place to third after grossing a non-final $685,000 (£430,000). Sony’s sci-fi is now up to $8.9m (£5.7m).

Following almost unanimous critical praise, Before Midnight got off to a superb start in the UK with a $375,000 (£244,000) debut from its 106 sites.

That result marks the best opening of the trilogy, toppingBefore Sunset’s $214,000 (£139,278) albeit from fewer sites (44).

Sunset went on to do around six times its debut, finishing at $1.4m (£932,259) in the UK and expect Midnight to follow a similar path with over £1m a strong possibility.

EONE

Steven Soderbergh’s Behind the Candelabra continued its fruitful UK run through eOne, adding $563,000 (£366,500) in its third weekend from its 273 sites.

The Liberace biopic is now up to a sparkling $3.7m (£2.4m).

eOne also released Snitch in 304 sites, resulting in a $409,000 (£266,316) debut and a somewhat soft $1,345 (£876) site average.

FOX

Dropping steeply in its fifth weekend (potentially as a result of Despicable Me 2’s strong previews), Fox’s Epicadded $381,000 (£248,125) for $19.4m (£12.6m) to date.

It’s now likely to fall just short of Blue Sky Studios’ previous original outing, Rio, which flew to $20.7m (£13.6m) in the UK.

VERTIGO

Neither of Vertigo’s new releases this week managed to make much of an impact on the chart.

Horror spoof A Haunted House scored a $236,000 (£153,805) debut, including $67,000 (£43,657) in previews, from its 227 sites.

Coming-of-age drama Spike Island could only manage $86,000 (£55,963) from its 99 sites.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Universal’sDespicable Me 2, Sony’s This is the End and Lionsgate’sHummingbird.

Entertainment’s Stand Up Guys and Fox’s SXSW closerThe East both receive wide releases, while Dogwoof’s The Act of Killing and Curzon Film World’s Stories We Tell are among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 1

The market is very full at the moment. 

MoS should definitely pass £30m, but I'm not sure it can reach £35m. Maybe £32-33m, but we'll have to see how good late legs are. Still, that's a big, big success. 

This is the End should do quite well. £2.5m-ish sounds about right.

Edited by Heretic

The market is very full at the moment. MoS should definitely pass £30m, but I'm not sure it can reach £35m. Maybe £32-33m, but we'll have to see how good late legs are. Still, that's a big, big success. This is the End should do quite well. £2.5m-ish sounds about right.

Don't think anyone could have predicted how well MoS has done, to get to £30m would be great, the week after next only has NYSM and The Internship which I can't see being big.July looks busy as well, PR, MU, The Worlds End and The Wolverine should do great business. Edited by Jonwo

Don't think anyone could have predicted how well MoS has done, to get to £30m would be great, the week after next only has NYSM and The Internship which I can't see being big.July looks busy as well, PR, MU, The Worlds End and The Wolverine should do great business.

I agree Internship won't do well but NYSM won't do that bad.

• Like 1

I'm pretty great thankyou...and no, Lmao have you not heard of Despicable Me? It's only one of the most popular animated films of the last few years.

Lol Heretic you know havent seen an animated film that caught my eye in quite some time.

Excited to see how to train a dragon 2 though :). Loved the first one

Don't think anyone could have predicted how well MoS has done, to get to £30m would be great, the week after next only has NYSM and The Internship which I can't see being big.July looks busy as well, PR, MU, The Worlds End and The Wolverine should do great busines

Well you know me Jonwo concerning Superman. I had a feeling Henry and this superman would be huge

in UK..:)..And wow I hope Im right with my predict of 70 lowend and 85 M if it hits the highend in UK

Well you know me Jonwo concerning Superman. I had a feeling Henry and this superman would be huge

in UK.. :)..And wow I hope Im right with my predict of 70 lowend and 85 M if it hits the highend in UK

There's no chance MOS is getting 70m. lol

MoS doesnt have much competition until Pacific Rim, This is the End should do decently, not sure about Now You See Me and The Internship.Australia do seems to get schedule big releases against each other, I think the UK gets it right most of the time like scheduling kids film in half term like Disney and Dreamworks do with their time, some I don't get like Lone Ranger in August and WHD in September,

One of the issue and also with way films released  these days is Australia has smaller school holidays periods and multiple so summer sees around 6 weeks that schools out, then a period late Apr/early May (often including easter) dpending on the state schools are out different start/end dates over about 3 week period (each state lasting approx 2 weeks) then similar in June/July (covering  a period of 3/4 weeks and again different start/end) then similar sept.

so you only have a couple weeks in each period of holiday time to play kids films, animated etc you dont have long continuous blocks like most of the world has

for Example this June QLD 22/6-7/7,NSW/VIC 29/6-14/7,WA/SA/TAS/NT 6/7-21/7 at no time does  the whole country have all states on hols

Sept holidays this year will see approx 1 week where all states are on school hols same time (happened last year and once every few)

So quite often in the Jun & Sept holiday periods animated/Kids films wont usually peak in their first week it can be that week 3/4 could be the bigs ones (typically Jun/jul sees films hold steady for weeks on end with slight drops or increases, Sept usually sees your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th week potentially being bigger). The Original DME for example had its biggest weekend was its 1st but its biggest week was its 3rd

Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

One of the issue and also with way films released  these days is Australia has smaller school holidays periods and multiple so summer sees around 6 weeks that schools out, then a period late Apr/early May (often including easter) dpending on the state schools are out different start/end dates over about 3 week period (each state lasting approx 2 weeks) then similar in June/July (covering  a period of 3/4 weeks and again different start/end) then similar sept.so you only have a couple weeks in each period of holiday time to play kids films, animated etc you dont have long continuous blocks like most of the world has for Example this June QLD 22/6-7/7,NSW/VIC 29/6-14/7,WA/SA/TAS/NT 6/7-21/7 at no time does  the whole country have all states on holsSept holidays this year will see approx 1 week where all states are on school hols same time (happened last year and once every few)So quite often in the Jun & Sept holiday periods animated/Kids films wont usually peak in their first week it can be that week 3/4 could be the bigs ones (typically Jun/jul sees films hold steady for weeks on end with slight drops or increases, Sept usually sees your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th week potentially being bigger). The Original DME for example had its biggest weekend was its 1st but its biggest week was its 3rd

I suppose as Summer is in December/January time in Australia the big releases like The Hobbit do really well. I didn't realise Australia had school holidays in September, may explain why they got Johnny English before the UK and also why Skyfall was released later than the UK and US to capitalise on summer.Ideally films should be day and date with the US but if they make more money by releasing in a country's local holiday and releasing it a few months later then so be it.

I suppose as Summer is in December/January time in Australia the big releases like The Hobbit do really well. I didn't realise Australia had school holidays in September, may explain why they got Johnny English before the UK and also why Skyfall was released later than the UK and US to capitalise on summer.Ideally films should be day and date with the US but if they make more money by releasing in a country's local holiday and releasing it a few months later then so be it.

Yeah  the Dec/Jan holiday periods plays siimiar to Summertime elsewhere in world. The other holidays periods totally different, and whilst  especially these days theres the whole lets go WW same time. In reality it may or may not be the best time depending on the territory.

There are always arguments and justifications done with markets deciding that yes going same date as US is fine or no we need to open before or no we have to go later. There is  a heap of analysis that gets done around certain releases based on market capacities, holidays, other competitive product (like in Aus case recently is there enough market capacity to have MU/DME2, Epic release same/similar time share the same small school holiday window and have WWZ/MOS/FF6/LR etc in the same space)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

Yeah  the Dec/Jan holiday periods plays siimiar to Summertime elsewhere in world. The other holidays periods totally different, and whilst  especially these days theres the whole lets go WW same time. In reality it may or may not be the best time depending on the territory.There are always arguments and justifications done with markets deciding that yes going same date as US is fine or no we need to open before or no we have to go later. There is  a heap of analysis that gets done around certain releases based on market capacities, holidays, other competitive product (like in Aus case recently is there enough market capacity to have MU/DME2, Epic release same/similar time share the same small school holiday window and have WWZ/MOS/FF6/LR etc in the same space)

The UK has got better in terms of release schedule, I think in the past, the gap between US and UK was 6 months to almost a year, now its either day and date, a week early or just a couple of weeks or months. Animated and family films rarely get day and date or early release whereas Man of Steel was day and date with the US while Iron Man, STID and FF6 were released a week early and Gatsby six days later and I think that schedule gave those films room to do well unlike in the US.

in UK.. :)..And wow I hope Im right with my predict of 70 lowend and 85 M if it hits the highend in UK

Make it even and call it 78M

Yeah I remember when it use to 6-12 months delay :)

Think Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast were released almost a year after the US, The Lion King was lucky and was released just a few months during the half term holidays, even Bond got released in the US first followed by UK release a week or two later.

Anyone else think A Haunted House had greater potential if they'd released it a few months ago? A guy in my class in college got sick of waiting for it and downloaded a blu-ray rip of it, and declared to my class that it was hilarious. I asked if he'd see have seen it at the cinema if it came out back in march or april, and he said he would have. That may be an isolated case, but surely it's got to be a factor these days.