Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Heretic going full CJohn ;) Considering a 4-day opening, let's conservatively say we do £6m on Thursday, that's another £29m to find over the following 3 days! Not every cinema is going late on Thursday, but they are handing over the show times I grant you. £35m is an extraordinary amount of cash to take so quickly when we've only had one film make £10m in one day, with midnights AND late night shows for that matter. 

• Like 4

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎09‎:‎24‎:‎58, SchumacherFTW said:

It may be the biggest screen, but when the image is slightly blurry due to exceeding the size it should be, it's a definite problem. I'd rather take a smaller screen with better quality. If I could get to the Science Museum I would. 

damn straight, size doesn't matter. Preach it brother, my dick will be proud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Heretic going full CJohn ;) Considering a 4-day opening, let's conservatively say we do £6m on Thursday, that's another £29m to find over the following 3 days! Not every cinema is going late on Thursday, but they are handing over the show times I grant you. £35m is an extraordinary amount of cash to take so quickly when we've only had one film make £10m in one day, with midnights AND late night shows for that matter. 

This has more midnight shows than any film in history, and probably the most showtimes. £6m is a lowball.  I see it increasing on Friday and maybe Saturday aswell.

Spectre had a 3 day of £20m after burning off over £20m. SW can break DH2's record. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Heretic said:

This has more midnight shows than any film in history, and probably the most showtimes. £6m is a lowball.  I see it increasing on Friday and maybe Saturday aswell.

Spectre had a 3 day of £20m after burning off over £20m. SW can break DH2's record. 

Can't deny you're right on that one. We've got 4 screens during the day and all 6 at night at my local cineworld, and I counted 12 out of 15 post 6pm at Cineworld Crawley for Thursday. I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself as this is among the biggest launches I've ever seen, and I don't want to be disappointed if this doesn't break records. 

• Like 1

My current 4-day OW prediction is £32-£33m and that's me trying to be conservative. £120-£125m total. 

Since Vue updated their showtimes in the last few days, the one near where I work has 9 out of its 10 screens showing Star Wars between 6-10pm. No one really has much choice anymore! 

Didn't realise, but Sisters was released yesterday...on a Saturday. Weird. Don't think anyone even knew. Not sure how they'll calculate the opening, they'll probably lump it in with this week and next weekend's gross. It's getting great reviews, and it's perfect counter-programming for SW so it could do decently over Christmas. Marketing has been pretty non-existent from what I've seen though.

30 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Didn't realise, but Sisters was released yesterday...on a Saturday. Weird. Don't think anyone even knew. Not sure how they'll calculate the opening, they'll probably lump it in with this week and next weekend's gross. It's getting great reviews, and it's perfect counter-programming for SW so it could do decently over Christmas. Marketing has been pretty non-existent from what I've seen though.

I started seeing trailers at most of the 15 rated films I've seen lately (minus black mass). Gonna go check it out in a bit, I've got such a thing for Tina Fey! 

Lionsgate’s fantasy-adventure becomes first film since Les Misérables to record four weeks at number one; Universal’s By the Sea flops with $38,000 (£24,770) from its 102 sites.

Further distributor results to come…

LIONSGATE

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 led an identical week-on-week top five at the UK box office as it retained top spot for the fourth straight week.

Lionsgate’s final chapter in the young adult franchise gathered an extra $1.95m (£1.29m) as it became the first film since Les Misérables in Jan-Feb 2013 to hold the number one spot for four weeks in a row.

Mockingjay - Part 2 is now up to a sturdy $38.6m (£25.5m) but will need to hold firm in the face of Star Wars: The Force Awakens to have any chance of hitting £30m.

Also for Lionsgate, Brooklyn is up to $7.3m (£4.82m) after six weeks in play.

DISNEY

The Good Dinosaur recorded a solid hold, dropping just 25% with a $1.93m (£1.27m) second weekend.

Disney’s latest Pixar offering is now up to $10.2m (£6.75m) but will soon be competing for families at Christmas with The Peanuts Movie.

Though it narrowly missed out on the top spot, it did pull in more admissions than Mockingjay over Sat-Sun due to its younger audience and lower ticket price.

SONY

Falling a slim 35% in its seventh weekend, Sony’sSpectre took a further $1.2m (£805,000) for a storming $139.5m (£92m) to date.

The latest James Bond mission will be hit by this week’s arrival of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but still stands a great chance of overtaking Avatar’s $142.6m (£94m) as the UK’s second highest grossing film ever.

Also for Sony, The Lady in the Van dropped just 33% on its way to a $481,000 (£317,000) fifth weekend for an excellent $17.1m (£11.3m) to date. It could still overtakePhilomena’s $17.3m (£11.44m) result.

The Night Before grossed $238,000 (£157,000) for a ten-day tally of $946,000 (£624,000), while Grandmaposted a disappointing UK bow of $55,000 (£36,000) from its 79 sites.

FOX

With another slim drop of 27%, Bridge of Spiesremained in fourth with a non-final third weekend of $1.2m (£782,029).

Fox’s potential awards contender is up to $8.2m (£5.43m) and in terms of Steven Spielberg outings in the UK, it has overtaken Munich’s $6.5m (£4.27m) with The Terminaland Lincoln next in its sights.

Also for Fox, Snoopy and Charlie Brown: A Peanuts Movie took $633,000 (£417,788) in its second weekend of previews and has now banked $1.1m (£719,628) towards its opening.

Victor Frankenstein and the re-release of Home Alonehave grossed $1.2m (£811,605) and $213,000 (£140,837), respectively.

EONE

Christmas with the Coopers held well in its second weekend with a minimal drop of 15% (excluding previews) for $709,000 (£467,324).

eOne’s festive offering is now up to $2.2m (£1.44m) and should enjoy another week of solid returns before fading post-Christmas.

WARNER BROS

In its third weekend, Warner Bros’ Black Mass added $443,000 (£292,000) for $4.5m (£3m) to date.

UNIVERSAL

Holding reasonably well (-35%) given its soft opening, Universal’s festive horror Krampus scared up $413,000 (£272,425) for a ten-day tally of $1.5m (£957,060).

Also for Universal, By the Sea opened with a weak $38,000 (£24,770) from its 102 sites resulting in a $369 (£243) site average. Given its minimal marketing and soft reviews, it’s perhaps unsurprising that the film has mimicked its low domestic performance.

Sisters started its UK run on Saturday [Dec 12], but the figures for Sat-Thurs will be added onto its opening this coming week and reported then.

STUDIOCANAL

Dropping just over 30% in its third weekend, Studiocanal’s Carol added $362,000 (£239,102) for $2.7m (£1.77m) to date.

SODA PICTURES

Including $9,800 (£6,475) in previews (including its LFF IMAX screening), Soda Pictures’ The Forbidden Roomposted a UK bow of $14,000 (£8,979) from its eight sites.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Released in 11 sites through Curzon Artificial Eye, Ice and the Sky recorded a non-final UK debut of $4,400 (£2,920).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees the highly anticipated release for Disney’sStar Wars: The Force Awakens (opens Dec 17), with most other films understandably avoiding opening this weekend.

Studiocanal’s Belle & Sebastian - The Adventure Continues, Bulldog Film Distributors’ Sparks & Embersand Arrow Media’s Sherpa are among those receiving a limited release.

Good drops all round. Will be very different this week with the arrival of SW...

• Like 1

My daily breakdown for SW:

Midnight/early morning shows: £2.3m

Thursday £6.7m (OD £9m)

Friday £7.9m

Saturday £8.5m

Sunday £7.6m

£33m ($50m) 4 day opening.

Monday £4.2m

Tuesday £4.4m

Wednesday £4.2m

Thursday £3.9m

Friday: Cinemas closed

Saturday £5.5m

Sunday £5m

£60m ($91m) 10 day.

Spectre made £64m in 14 days. SW7 should be over £70m by that point, and over £80m after 3rd weekend.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is on track to become "the biggest film of all-time" for cinema chain Odeon.

The company, Europe's largest cinema group, said it has already sold over half a million tickets for the seventh film in the Star Wars franchise, which opens in the UK on Thursday December 17.

Tickets for many of the midnight screenings it is putting on have sold out, it said in a statement.

The demand is such that the number of pre-sale bookings for the movie, which reunites original cast members Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, are double the level made for the latest James Bond instalment Spectre and four times that of Fifty Shades of Grey, it added.

“Odeon is to become a 24-hour operation ahead of the launch of Star Wars: The Force Awakens – which we expect to become the biggest film of all time, and promises to be a landmark cinematic event” said Andy Edge, commercial director at Odeon UK & Ireland.

Crazy stuff! 

• Like 4