Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

43 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Incredible number for Pets, even more so impressive as an original animation. A sign of things to come in the US? 

Deadline says Pets is the highest opening weekend for a non DIS/PIXAR original animated film in the UK (the other higher 3 were from Pixar)

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

They're conveniently forgetting Despicable Me 2 and Minions both held the animation opening Crown then. 

I meant highest non Dis/Pixar original animated. Did Pets open less than DM1?

10 hours ago, Quigley said:

The thing is that, until now, all "UK" box office results in fact include the UK, Ireland and Malta. Therefore, even if Scotland becomes independent, I doubt that the industry will change this method of grouping countries together. It will just be England and Wales (under whatever name they choose), Ireland, Scotland and Malta.

You forgot Gibralter :)

• Like 1

In the UK, Independence Day: Resurgence opened with four-day bow of around £5.4m.

Actually decent for ID. Nothing special, but definitely not bad. Better than the US opening I'd say.

The Conjuring 2 enjoys estimated £1.5m second weekend in the UK for £7.7m, while Me Before You reaches £7.9m.

Very nice for both.

• Like 3

Me Before You has done really solid business here. Probably not got enough in the tank to quite hit £10m, but solid nonetheless. 

On the subject of a book adaptation, has anyone else noticed how absurdly early tickets have gone on sale for Bridget Jones Baby? 50 Shades I kinda got, but it doesn't feel like there's any hype for another Bridget Jones movie anymore. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Me Before You has done really solid business here. Probably not got enough in the tank to quite hit £10m, but solid nonetheless. 

On the subject of a book adaptation, has anyone else noticed how absurdly early tickets have gone on sale for Bridget Jones Baby? 50 Shades I kinda got, but it doesn't feel like there's any hype for another Bridget Jones movie anymore. 

I can see Bridget Jones doing well but not super well, it's been too long since the last one. I think The Magnificent Seven might be a solid hit in September.

Pets opened very well and I imagine it'll end in the high £30m range, £40m+ might be tricky because of Ice Age 5 which has previews next weekend plus is released in Scotland and Northern Ireland then The BFG and Dory so the kids market is quite busy compared to previous years. I wonder what'll do better between Ab Fab and Central Intelligence?

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 The Secret Life Of Pets (Universal) $12.8m (£9.53m) $12.8m (£9.53m)
2 Independence Day: Resurgence(Fox) $6.7m (£5.05m) $6.7m (£5.05m)
3 The Conjuring 2(WB) $2.1m (£1.55m) $10.4m (£7.72m)
4 Me Before You(WB) $893,000 (£666,000) $10.8m (£8.02m)
5 The Nice Guys(Icon) $267,000 (£199,217) $4.6m (£3.46m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

UNIVERSAL

Following last weekend’s record previews, The Secret Life Of Pets fought off Independence Day: Resurgence to debut top of the UK box office.

Universal’s animation scored an outstanding $12.8m (£9.53m) opening from its 593 sites, including $4.9m (£3.63m) in previews. Its Fri-Sun tally of $7.9m (£5.9m) would have also seen it top the chart.

In terms of overall openings, that marks the second-best original animation debut behind The Incredibles’ $13.1m (£9.75m). In terms of Fri-Sun tallies, it’s the sixth-best total for an original animation.

Previews of Ice Age: Collision Course over the next two weekends could affect The Secret Life Of Pets, but it should still enjoy a lengthy run into the summer school holidays.

Also for Universal, The Boss and Warcraft stand at $2.2m (£1.6m) and $8m (£5.95m), respectively. Warcraftwill end its run on par with Duncan Jones’ best UK performer, Source Code’s $8.05m (£6m) result.

FOX

Independence Day: Resurgence had to settle for second as it landed with a non-final $6.7m (£5.05m) from its 611 sites.

The debut for Fox’s sci-fi sequel included $1.25m (£944,356) in previews, and marks director Roland Emmerich’s fourth-best UK opening. It’s perhaps a better opening than some expected, but is not spectacular.

20 years ago, Independence Day posted a UK bow of $9.3m (£7m) from its 434 sites and went on to take a strong $49.2m (£37.13m). A good run for Resurgence is likely to be around half of that.

Also for Fox, X-Men: Apocalypse sliced to an additional non-final $227,000 (£171,715) for $24m (£18.1m) after six weeks in play.

WARNER BROS

Last week’s champion The Conjuring 2 fell 44% (excluding previews) with a $2.1m (£1.55m) second weekend.

Warner Bros’ horror sequel now stands at a sturdy $10.4m (£7.72m) after 14 days in play, and will hope for a stronger hold this coming weekend as it attempts to overhaul The Conjuring’s $14.1m (£10.5m) result.

It has already overtaken The Conjuring spin-offAnnabelle, which finished its UK run with $10.1m (£7.51m).

Also for Warner Bros, Me Before You grossed $893,000 (£666,000) for a healthy $10.8m (£8.02m) after four weeks in play, while Barbershop 3: A Fresh Cut stands at $225,000 (£168,000) after ten days of release.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

Rounding off this week’s top five, Icon Film Distribution’sThe Nice Guys fell around 50% to add $267,000 (£199,217) for $4.6m (£3.46m) to date.

DISNEY

Dropping 55% in its fifth weekend, Disney’s Alice Through The Looking Glass sailed to an extra $255,000 (£190,000) for $12.6m (£9.4m) to date.

Also for Disney, The Jungle Book has now swung to a tremendous $61.2m (£45.6m) following a $137,000 (£102,000) 11th weekend, while Captain America: Civil War and Zootropolis stand at $49.5m (£36.92m) and $31.7m (£23.65m), respectively.

PARAMOUNT

Falling almost 60%, Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows took a further $245,000 (£183,000) for $7.8m (£5.82m) after four weeks in play.

SONY

On the cusp of £10m, Sony’s The Angry Birds Movie is up to $13.3m (£9.95m) following a $134,000 (£100,000) seventh weekend.

Also for Sony, The Meddler struggled to make an impact with a UK bow of $24,000 (£18,000) from 100 sites.

EONE

Falling a hefty 80% in its second weekend, eOne’s Gods Of Egypt could only take $128,000 (£97,441) for $1.1m (£825,487) to date.

Also for eOne, Elvis & Nixon opened with a soft $75,000 (£56,775) from its 107 sites.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

In its second weekend, Curzon Artificial Eye’s Tale Of Tales added $62,000 (£47,051) for $316,000 (£239,397) so far.

Also for Curzon Artificial Eye, Love & Friendship has now grossed $2.1m (£1.56m).

METRODOME

From its 16 sites through Metrodome, Ma Ma recorded a UK debut of $8,400 (£6,316).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Universal’sCentral Intelligence (opens June 29) and Fox’sAbsolutely Fabulous: The Movie.

Curzon Artificial Eye’s Notes On Blindness, Signature’sThe Colony and Eureka Entertainment’s Queen Of Earthare among the films receiving a limited release.

Pets will stay number one this week, should have a soft drop, even with Ice Age previews.

Absolutely Fabulous could do quite well, should be a hit with the older female crowd.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Pets will stay number one this week, should have a soft drop, even with Ice Age previews.

Absolutely Fabulous could do quite well, should be a hit with the older female crowd.

The weekend looks quite solid although I think because there is so many things opening, I'm not sure if anything will be have a leggy run.

Ice Age likely will make a small dent on Pets but it'll probably still have a £4-4.5m second weekend. 

Paramount are really pushing Star Trek Beyond with a triple bill in many cinemas and midnight showings, right now I'm thinking a £5-5.5m OW with The BFG doing £3-3.5m

Wtf. Absolutely Fabulous has insane pre-sales for tonight. Like on par with blockbuster films. There are lots of near sellouts this evening, it's gonna have a big opening. Race for number 1 will be closer than we thought. 

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Wtf. Absolutely Fabulous has insane pre-sales for tonight. Like on par with blockbuster films. There are lots of near sellouts this evening, it's gonna have a big opening. Race for number 1 will be closer than we thought. 

What race for number 1? Genuinely feels like there's no contest here. 

7 hours ago, Heretic said:

Ab Fab likely will be frontloaded, Central Intelligence likely will have done well too thanks to previews but Pets and Ice Age 5 probably will come out on top for Sat/Sunday.

Speaking of Ice Age, will it chart this weekend since it's getting full release in Scotland and Ireland? I think both the previous film and Brave debuted at number 1 despite not being released in the rest of the UK so it's possible it could get a top 5 position

My predictions for the coming week

1. Central Intelligence £4.52M The film has a brilliant duo with Kevin Hart and social media demon The Rock and should do well this weekend. The question will really be can the film have legs. My prediction at the moment is a 2.6-2.8x multiplier for a gross of £11.75-12.66M. The has a 67% on RT which won't make people flock to the film but won't turn them away either.

2. The Secret Life of Pets £3.84M This one had a surprising opening weekend and should continue to surprise through its run. The film should fall only 35% if you exclude previews which is a very soft drop. By Sunday it should have passed £15M and be on its way to £20M. It is looking for an excellent multiplier of 3-3.3x which would be £28.59-31.45M. 

3. Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie £2.46M This is really an unknown for me. I have no idea what it will do this weekend, my guess is mostly based on the fact someone said it has good Friday business haha. The film has a slightly positive The Guardian and Den of Geek review (both at around 3 stars. £10M seems like a stretch, maybe £6.5-7.5M

4. Independence Day: Resurgence £1.96M Dropping 55% I think we all know why it's going to fall hard because it is awful. With 32% on RT and Metacritic. £15M tops for the total gross.

5. The Conjuring 2 £0.924M I guess it will have a smaller drop this weekend. Might have a third weekend of anything from £0.9-1.05M. The film should end up with £12-13M by its final weekend

You guys got any predictions?

Edited by Mike Hunt
Bad Grammar
  • Like 1