Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Watch Your Six

I am adding one more catch this year, that I forgot to mention before.

@4815162342 @cookie @SLAM! @Alpha @Blankments @Xillix @Rorschach @YourMother the Edgelord @Ethan Hunt

Unless you have only one film this year, for a request from your own films, YOU CANNOT REQUEST IT IF YOU HAVE REQUESTED IT ELSEWHERE.

Specifically, say if Slam requested Aeroplane in another thread. He has to pick a different film of his here. The only exception is if someone else requested that film. That is, if someone else requested Aeroplane on behalf of Slambros in a different thread, he can still request it here.

Feel free to edit requests accordingly.

Actually @Rorschach I'm gonna go ahead and review films I've already read first.

So....

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Fiesta Loca

Duck Hunt

Borrasca

Gateways

Super Mario Bros.

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson 2

Edited by Spaghetti

Here's my current queue:

1. Borrasca

2. Gateways

3. Super Mario Bros.

4. MYSTERY ROUND

5. Children of Eden

6. Plus One (if Finished)

7. Thermal

8. MYSTERY ROUND

9. Shiverin' Gulch

10. Aeroplane Over the Sea

11. Thirsty

12. MYSTERY ROUND

13. Most Wanted Man

14. Fiesta Loca

15. Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson

16. MYSTERY ROUND

Each Mystery Round is two films. One film in this set of 8 should be obvious given what I've said.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

GATEWAYS

Image result for simpsons badger    Image result for simpsons evil clone Image result for simpsons mr sparkle

Spoiler

This was one of the films this year that I actually pre-read prior to the deadline. The reason being, which I'll just fess up now, is that The Epsilon Syndicate: Operation Copycat will be another foray into exploring parallel universes. Thankfully, there's little overlap between this family friendly tale and the ultraviolent sequel I'm planning.

But will I need to worry about trying to match its quality?

Like most people, I feel that Can You Imagine was the touchstone of Endless Animation's style, and when I reviewed this film prior I decided that the opinion there would not change. However, getting to re-read the tale, I still stick to that initial conclusion, but it's honestly a lot closer than I initially expected.

Yes, the film is somewhat predictable and derivative (most of the big twists aren't too hard to see coming, and the set up to the film is basically Meet the Robinsons) but thanks to the big heartedness on display and sweet dynamics, it manages to overcome this and entertain just as potently. Can You Imagine even faced some of the same hurdles yet works for the very same reason: It has the right level of sincerity, visual wonder (my god are the different worlds in this a delight to watch), and characterization. Levi and Bailee are the heart of the movie, and their father-daughter relationship feels lived in and genuine. Again, the conclusion is pretty obvious once they meet, but watching it play out still moved me very much. Especially thanks to a few moments added in this new draft.

Spoiler

It's also not too hard to see Bailee's biological father be the twist villain, but his arc and motive felt compelling and the reveal was legitimately heartbreaking.

Bailee is a hero that kids are going to relate too and fall in love with, while her inventive nature and big heart help her avoid the traps of writing an obnoxious child character, while Levi's played very well by Glover's smooth charm yet awkward vulnerability. Grace and Glover have a touching and poignant bond on screen. Awkwafina and Ritter also get to have some fun in their roles, while Clement makes a hilarious appearance in the witty wold where pets and people take on each other's roles. (Also First @Rorschach than @YourMother the Edgelord?! Why are so many people in CAYOM missing the opportunity to get the iconic GOBI in their films?!)

This is precisely the kind of movie that absolutely would have been one of my favorites growing up, from the powerful imagination in storytelling to the lovable characters to the ultimate messages of optimism, compassion, and wonder really resonate. I'd love to see more stories told in this universe, well, universeS. When your storytelling is this pure and powerful, and you have this exciting an eye to tell these stories, you can forgive if you've seen the beats few times before.

A-

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1