kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

It wasn't just us. Lionsgate chose to open this in March. You don't do that if you aren't confident. If you knew you had a block buster on your hands you threw it in summer and let other movies get out of your way. :). It's like how if you are a career tribute you stay and fight it out for the spoils but if you are Katniss you make fir the forest.

Edited by Eldenfirefly
  • Like 1

THG isn't selling that many more tickets than DH2.

DH sold less than 19m tickets, and the non-sequel will be the first non-sequel to ever sell over 20m tickets, 3D can suck my balls, its obvious which opening wknd is superior.

By the way, I think I might have figured out how to speak Nikki. When she was posting Friday morning about the matinees being at $7,800 or $9,800 per screen, and then later $12,000, I think what she was trying to say was that the way THG was performing had it on a pace to reach those figures, as a per-theater (not per-screen) number by the end of Friday [ignoring the Thursday midnights].

But then again, it may mean something totally different. In just two days I've learned that Nikki's mind is a dangerous place to try to navigate.

DH2 OW breakdownIMAX - $15.2M - 1.01M ticketsNon-IMAX 3D - $57.6M - 5.69M tickets2D - $96.4M - 12.85 ticketsTotal - 19.55M ticketsTHG OW breakdown (best case scenario)IMAX - $16M - 1.05M tickets2D - $142M - 18.65M ticketsTotal 19.7M ticketsSo it will narrowly beat DH2, and might as well come below that.

THG isn't selling that many more tickets than DH2.

Probably around 1 million more. That's not a lot to you? I don't understand why you've been so negative with this. I thought you were a fan of the franchise.

DH2 OW breakdownIMAX - $15.2M - 1.01M ticketsNon-IMAX 3D - $57.6M - 5.69M tickets2D - $96.4M - 12.85 ticketsTotal - 19.55M ticketsTHG OW breakdown (best case scenario)IMAX - $16M - 1.05M tickets2D - $142M - 18.65M ticketsTotal 19.7M ticketsSo it will narrowly beat DH2, and might as well come below that.

Why are you assuming all IMAX tickets were 3D? BOM reported 72.8M 3D figure and 15.2M IMAX figure. 72.8M is 43% of 169.1M. I'd assume a similar percentage for IMAX screenings. You can't just subtract 15.2M from 72.8M for the non-IMAX 3D share.And your ticket prices are all wrong. 3D tickets in 2011 were an average of 10.85 (non-IMAX) and 2D were 7.60 (non-IMAX)http://consumerist.c...ket-prices.html Edited by spizzer

By the way, I think I might have figured out how to speak Nikki. When she was posting Friday morning about the matinees being at $7,800 or $9,800 per screen, and then later $12,000, I think what she was trying to say was that the way THG was performing had it on a pace to reach those figures, as a per-theater (not per-screen) number by the end of Friday [ignoring the Thursday midnights].

But then again, it may mean something totally different. In just two days I've learned that Nikki's mind is a dangerous place to try to navigate.

Your the guy who works for a studio right? What are the studios' opinion of Darling Nikki?

We have a love/hate relationship with her here. Mostly love on my part though. I think she's out Queen :D

LOLyou just sound desparate now. THG will win fair and square. First in series beats eighth in series :lol:

Why are you assuming all IMAX tickets were 3D? BOM reported 72.8M 3D figure and 15.2M IMAX figure. 72.8M is 43% of 169.1M. I'd assume a similar percentage for IMAX screenings. You can't just subtract 15.2M from 72.8M for the non-IMAX 3D share.And your ticket prices are all wrong. 3D tickets in 2011 were an average of 10.85 (non-IMAX) and 2D were 7.60 (non-IMAX)http://consumerist.c...ket-prices.html

That analysis is wrong.Avg ticket prices were roughly:IMAX - $15Non-IMAX 3D - $10.22D - 7.5And yes, all IMAX screening for DH2 were in 3D.