kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

I know this just sounds greedy at this point because this is just more than I could've ever dreamed it would do, but it would've been so freakin epic if it could've picked up an extra 10m along the way and made a run for DH2 and the all time record.

Edited by MovieMan89

Speaking of which, even using CPI (conservative estimate for inflation) puts SM3 at $56.4m. I do think THG hitting $50m is more impressive though.

Oh, no doubt. Spider-Man 1's Saturday figure is probably the only one that's close to this, and I'd still put this ahead of it, if simply because Hunger Games burnt off far more demand yesterday and with its midnights.

Seriously wtf?I shut down my computer and then literally 2 minutes later I refreshed the DHD screen I had in my phone and it had changed to $50m!!OMG THIS JUST MADE MY DAY!

Congrats to THG fans. It's always a thrill to fans when a film/property they love succeeds, but when it succeeds this smashingly, it's bliss. It would be hilarious if this film, in March, opened with better numbers than any other film this year, except for TDKR.

Oh, no doubt. Spider-Man 1's Saturday figure is probably the only one that's close to this, and I'd still put this ahead of it, if simply because Hunger Games burnt off far more demand yesterday and with its midnights.

Isn't THG's audience much older? That's what is more impressive to me. When I think of big Saturdays, I think of family-oriented stuff like Shrek or Spidey. I saw SM3 on Friday afternoon the day it came out, and the audience was loaded with kids under the age of 10. I figure Saturday was probably even more loaded with little kids. For something like THG that doesn't inherently appeal to kids to make this kind of cash on a Saturday is awesome. Edited by redfirebird2008

... and it all happened in March.In. Fucking. March.

For years I have wondered why Sony or Fox didn't try to release a Spider-Man or X-Men film in January through April. It would have the total run all to itself.300 turned A LOT of heads when it opened in March with $70.8 million. Since then, Clash of the Titans, How to Train Your Dragon, and most importantly Alice in Wonderland (February) have proven early year releases can make MAJOR bank.But with The Hunger Games doing these numbers, the closest I can equate it to is Jaws. Before Jaws, blockbuster were only released in the winter time. Crazy to think, huh?Not that Disney didn't take a gamble with John Carter. With a budget that large, releasing in March almost felt sacrificial. Wrath of the Titans doesn't seem to be carrying the same force of marketing as the original either.

Congrats to THG fans. It's always a thrill to fans when a film/property they love succeeds, but when it succeeds this smashingly, it's bliss. It would be hilarious if this film, in March, opened with better numbers than any other film this year, except for TDKR.

Won't be surprised if it opens bigger than TDKR. I'm predicting $160m for that one and won't be surprised if it goes a bit lower. THG is tracking at $155+ million right now based on the first two days. Could hit $160m.