CJohn

Weekend Estimates - THE HUNGER GAMES | 155M

Wow...9:15 and 9:45 sell outs...

Just with Presales, both the 10:00 pm ones are expected to be sold out by the time they start, which is just as good as yesterday, about $95 000 to 100 000.And what makes it more impressive is that there is school tomorrow for the first time in 2 weeks, so younger people generally are even more less likely to go to Late Nights. Edited by riczhang

I'm currently working on a theory that might shed some more light on how these huge midnights affect the dynamics of blockbuster films' opening weekend breakdowns as well as what they mean in context of the total gross.This film should be a good test. Based on that theory, I'm now anticipating a Sunday drop of around 18-19% with solid potential for an even better hold. Really, I'm not interested in how accurate it turns out to be, I'm more interested in how this plays out in terms of fitting in with the theory, so there's no room for disappointment.

^^Yes, I do see it potentially hitting 40+ Edited by spizzer

http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2012/03/hunger-games-slays-potter-and-twilight.html I cant believe how many records Hunger Games has broken. My math may be off, correct me if im wrong please, but Twilight 2 had a 48% increase over Twilight 1, if Catching Fire did that, its OW, would be over 220M! Thats just a theory, i may be wrong, but if HG can gain this much of a fanbase in weeks, imagine from now to next November.

http://jaysonb593.bl...d-twilight.html I cant believe how many records Hunger Games has broken. My math may be off, correct me if im wrong please, but Twilight 2 had a 48% increase over Twilight 1, if Catching Fire did that, its OW, would be over 220M! Thats just a theory, i may be wrong, but if HG can gain this much of a fanbase in weeks, imagine from now to next November.

I guess we'll see how TDKR opens as a projection for Catching Fire... it's gonna be an interesting few years with this franchise.

http://jaysonb593.bl...d-twilight.html I cant believe how many records Hunger Games has broken. My math may be off, correct me if im wrong please, but Twilight 2 had a 48% increase over Twilight 1, if Catching Fire did that, its OW, would be over 220M! Thats just a theory, i may be wrong, but if HG can gain this much of a fanbase in weeks, imagine from now to next November.

220M would mean that the theatres were at near full capacity round the clock all weekend, near impossible without 3D.

I personally think 220M OW is too high for a movie in 2013, i just based it off the Twilight increase, but itll be interesting to see what TDKR can do and too see how much the fanbase expands between now and then

People... you can't just take one random percentage and use it for another movie, Twilight had much more room to grow, its opening was relatively modest (compared to uber blockbusters). Plus the math is wrong, the opening increased over 100% from 1 to 2.

Edited by Elessar

So this has a small chance of beating TDK's OW?? :o

Much better than small. Sunday projection was pretty conservative. We haven't heard from Nikki tonight, which is odd. When TDK's Sunday overperformed, she did an update around 8 PM Pacific saying it was headed for well over $40m.

People... you can't just take one random percentage and use it for another movie, Twilight had much more room to grow, its opening was relatively modest (compared to uber blockbusters). Plus the math is wrong, the opening increased over 100% from 1 to 2.

I said it might be wrong, but thank you for that analysis.

Much better than small. Sunday projection was pretty conservative. We haven't heard from Nikki tonight, which is odd. When TDK's Sunday overperformed, she did an update around 8 PM Pacific saying it was headed for well over $40m.

But that was going to have a ridiculous 8.5% hold, this is heading to ~15% or a bit less, I'm actually thinking that this could go as high as 45 million. (But, please don't shoot me for this, I'm being optimistic) :D

But that was going to have a ridiculous 8.5% hold, this is heading to ~15% or a bit less, I'm actually thinking that this could go as high as 45 million. (But, please don't shoot me for this, I'm being optimistic) :D

That would be a ridiculous figure and put it within a few million or so of DH2.This fucker anhialated DH2s OW ticket sales.