TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

2 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

2x legs mean the movie is completely rejected across the board which won't be the case here. BvS was trashed and rejected. Suicide Squad was trashed as well, but still managed to do 2.35 multi. This one has much better reviews than those 2 got.

Yes, but you have element of resistence by the core fanbase you did not have with those two.

Most Comic Book nerds do not like musicals. I think this is pretty narrow minded of them but it is still a fact.This will have impact on the box office.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Seriously who the fuck actually refers to this movie as "Joker: Folie a Deux" and not "Joker 2"?

Me, because I'm learning french now.

But the decision to give it this title seems idiotic to me.

RT is up to 62% btw. Let's stop this tiresome panic

Edited by cinema pal

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is giving me deja vu to when people were defending The Flash's poor early presales.

Keaton walk ups. . .

It will pick up because DC isn't frontloaded. . .

Wait for word of mouth. . .

It can't miss 2x legs in the summer. . .

They never learn, watch the next DC movie get over predicted too after this one.

Defo didn't expect this to track as low as it has been doing, for sure thought it would outopen its predecessor, even by a small margin, even if it still ended up with a lower overall total. Still not sure how secure we can be, maybe this does just happen to play out wayyy more backloaded than any comp out there even if it never gets any better reviews and buzz. But I do think a key to the success of the first one was how it just felt like one movie, not part of a larger franchise/universe, not something "designed" to be a blockbuster, just a film with something to tell/a buzzy lead performance on an iconic fictional character. In that sense, a notable drop-off adds up tbh.

Spoiler

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Get Happy

That's Entertainment

What the World Needs Now Is Love

That's Life

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In

For Once in My Life

If My Friends Could See Me Now

They Long To Be Close To You

When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)

The Joker

Gonna Build a Mountain

To Love Somebody

@dudalb

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

If this is really the case and it doesn’t improve. I will say these are likely the reasons.

-the musical aspect (which it’s announced as over a year ago I believe) is turning people off

-many people thought the first movie was an actual Joker origin movie and we were going to see this Joker face/off with Batman. Obviously, that is not the case, so a lot of interest is no longer there.

This plus the most interesting and important aspect of the character is not explored, this film doesn't feel like a CBM and the audience is confused with many aspects of the film (The name, the musical aspect) with Phoenix's performance being the only driven force.

This movie looks like a character study, a what if, of the Joker, which is not what people want to see, audiences want to see the Joker being nuts and breaking havoc in Gothic city and facing off with the Batman.

It's like someone made a musical movie about the Batman in which he has a romance with Catwoman and that's the only aspect the film explores, at least conceptually. 

A musical / romance film set in Gotham with the Joker probably sounded great on paper but this is not what audiences wanted.

If you ask anyone who watched the first film, they probably were expecting a sequel in which the Joker faces off against Batman or some other vigilante.  

BTW, I also think this film it's going to be heavily front-loaded (as many other CBMs are) and then it's going to fall off the hill because the WOM it's going to be warm at best, and people that really want to see this are going to watch it at the OW 

Edited by Belakor

24 minutes ago, Belakor said:

A musical / romance film set in Gotham with the Joker probably sounded great on paper but this is not what audiences wanted.

If you ask anyone who watched the first film, they probably were expecting a sequel in which the Joker faces off against Batman or some other vigilante.  

BTW, I also think this film it's going to be heavily front-loaded (as many other CBMs are) and then it's going to fall off the hill because the WOM it's going to be warm at best, and people that really want to see this are going to watch it at the OW 

Audiences don't know what they want until you tell them. Let's wait and see. This is really the first time Joker and Harley's relationship will be explored in a meaningful way on the big screen because those Suicide Squad flashbacks don't count.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Belakor said:

A weird expectation to have, considering Bruce Wayne was a child in the first film. Arthur would be kinda old for that

Update: google told he was 32-33. So maybe it could work, but still not sure. 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

A weird expectation to have, considering Bruce Wayne was a child in the first film. Arthur would be kinda old for that

People are weird but it can really happen. Say 20 something Batman faces off against master of crime who manipulates others instead of fighting on his own. Can easily be done tbh

27 minutes ago, Nero said:

People are weird but it can really happen. Say 20 something Batman faces off against master of crime who manipulates others instead of fighting on his own. Can easily be done tbh

But Fillips clearly stated in a interview that his Joker will never be crime mastermind, so...

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/joker-wont-be-gotham-clown-prince-of-crime-in-folie-a-deux-exclusive/

Edited by cinema pal

11 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

If this gets toxic WOM, can this miss $100M DOM? I'm not joking, this is looking like Marvels/Flash numbers.

I still believe this won't sink nearly as low, but as those movies proved, there is no floor as to how much a movie can sink if it just doesn't connect at all. If they engage in a desperate tactic like releasing a "final final trailer" just days before it comes out that's how we'll know that even the studio knows this is doomed. 

• Sad 1