TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

24 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Admittedly Spider-Man had a similarly fast-tracked relaunch into the MCU, and that worked out just fine, so who knows?

Spider-Man was coming off an underperforming $700M gross movie, DC has a long streak of flops except The Batman, they're not remotely similar, Spider-Man brand was damaged, DC is pretty much dead.

29 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Reeves' Batman is not safe, people think it's an exception, but it's not. if Joker, which has nothing to do with DCEU or even comic book movies, collapses like this and The Penguin viewership is on the level of shows nobody cares about, it'll impact Batman sequel as well, unless it has some very strong hook or The Dark Knight level reception (which is very unlikely). DC brand needs a hiatus across the board, no exceptions.

I think Batman 2 should be fine, Brave and the Bold is gonna flop hard though.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Joker's success and approach had a lot of new hooks and brought in a different audience from the usual one - surely much of the interest in the first place was drawn to the film bc of the IP/character, but the themes/edge and Taxi Driver-ness/hype for Phoenix performance/festival run and discourse brought ppl in. The success of The Batman relied on it being a Batman film. You could argue the first film already performed like a new reboot that was potentially impacted by the overall reception of the DC brand, but still got people in because people love Batman and his mythos. The performance of a Max spin-off show don't mean people won't show up for the sequel.

As for the DCU and the rest of DC... I do think quality and gaining goodwill is important... hopefully they are budgeting these things smartly. I do think Superman (& Supergirl) reboots out of the gate is a smart approach.

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

I think Batman 2 should be fine, Brave and the Bold is gonna flop hard though.

Best case scenario is no decrease or slight decrease from the first one, those 1 bln predictions are wet dream based on nothing. I do agree Brave and the Bold will flop hard.

1 hour ago, toutvabien said:

The performance of a Max spin-off show don't mean people won't show up for the sequel.

But destruction of the overall brand, perfomance of every DC sequel of the last decade and curiosity factor now gone could impact it, likely will.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Best case scenario is no decrease or slight decrease from the first one, those 1 bln predictions are wet dream based on nothing. I do agree Brave and the Bold will flop hard.

But destruction of the overall brand, perfomance of every DC sequel of the last decade and curiosity factor now gone could impact it, likely will.

Eh, I still think interest was there for Wonder Woman 1984, despite the state of the franchise. Sure, we'll never know. But I assume similar things for Bats 2 (hopefully not reception-wise lol).