TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

This shit is what happens when directors get final cut. I know people bitch about directors not getting complete control of their movies, but they aren't the ones putting up $200M to make a film.

This is a hard lesson for WB about rushing out a sequel with no planning just because a movie made a billion.

Possibly one of the most anti-art posts in here, directors shouldn't get final cut because one of them made a shitty one

let's just forget all the "studios controlled" complete freaking turds that have released in the past year alone - directors having control of their movies is the problem!

yeah right right

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Who cares? It isn’t like Phillips is taking $200 mil made from someone’s hard work.

And no, this isn’t a Heavens Gate level flop lol

WB cares about that 200M budget. 

If you read my post I was taking about Heaven's Gate in terms of behind the scenes drama only, not boxoffice.

It’s insane that in 2024 with an history of great movies that got chopped by studios originally we still have to read that directors shouldn’t get final cut because one movie is bad lol

What a childish pov, it’s not your money to be crying about it 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Possibly one of the most anti-art posts in here, directors shouldn't get final cut because one of them made a shitty one

let's just forget all the "studios controlled" complete freaking turds that have released in the past year alone - directors having control of their movies is the problem!

yeah right right

Directors rarely get final cut. Too much money on the line for studios not to have some kind of input. Movie making involves many people all working to make the best movie possible.

This isn't anti-art or whatever just because a director didnt get 100% control. 

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t say I’m a fan of this trend in the 2020s of throwing filmmakers under the bus to make a case for why Hollywood executives are these misunderstood victims who should be allowed to meddle. 

I would say both deserve blame. WB for demanding a rushed sequel and blowing so much money on it. Todd for all the bad ideas.

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I would say both deserve blame. WB for demanding a rushed sequel and blowing so much money on it. Todd for all the bad ideas.

Well, hopefully this can be a lesson to Hollywood that not every billion dollar hit needs a sequel. We probably don’t need a Barbie sequel either, although I’m sure WB will pull all the stops to try and get Gerwig back after she’s done with those Narnia movies. 

5 hours ago, lookingformovies255 said:

The House of Gucci was an underperformance. Due to its bloated budget, it failed to make money despite its somehow respectable gross. Its numbers only seem decent in the context of the pandemic (but the bar is very low). It was semi-panned by critics and won a Razzie. Gaga also famously failed to secure a BA nomination despite securing some raves and precursor nominations. 

Gaga's only success remains "A Star Is Born," in which she basically played herself. 

After the Joker catastrophe, she will struggle to secure major roles.   

Just finished the article and my last note is I'm amused by the thought of Gunn coming on board and seeing what was going on with this and his sole contribution being "you want any help with that?" Phillips saying "this is a WB movie not a DC movie" and Gunn and Safran putting their hands up and leaving that for WB to figure out.

I imagine once the Batman comes out they'll have a specific DC elseworlds label/title card for it and any other elseworlds projects. 

• Haha 1

Studio filmmaking, especially when it involves established franchise characters, requires a symbiotic relationship between the talent and the studio. It's a pendulum that shouldn't swing too far one way or the other, I don't think it's a good idea to let just about anyone have free reign with that much on the line, and I also don't think that an overwhelming amount of studio oversight is the response to that. If someone were renovating my home (If I could afford a house 😒), I would trust their expertise, but I would also know when to step in if they were going overboard in a direction I wasn't appreciating. I think it's fitting that the two lowest-scoring comic book movies on CinemaScore are Fantastic Four 2015 and Joker 2, they're both indicative of when the pendulum swings too far toward one side or the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not really sure what exactly Gunn could’ve done to “save” this movie. The Joker movies are radically different from the kinds of superhero movies he’s made. I don’t see how including cute CGI animals or something would have helped. 

Likely nothing at all besides notes about what is or isn't working on a script. Notes that other people were writing anyway. I don't think he couldve saved the film, maybe he could've helped on making the musical numbers flow in better but maybe not. 

It's just interesting, and a bit funny to me having read a whole weekends worth of discussion of brand damage and defense of the movie talking about it being elseworlds DC and blah blah. All that and Phillips didn't even want it to be associated with the brand in the first place and just wanted it to be a larger studio film.

Before going to see the movie I assumed it would have some kind of new elseworlds logo and this would be the introduction of that, but I think it's much more deliberate now that there was an effort to not have any brand association at all. Not even a DC logo intro, not the long lame DCEU one but just something as simple as what Sony does with the Marvel logo. I think it was for the best in the end. 

Edited by wattage