TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

That's gross overreaction. Borderlands real budget is in the north of 200 mln and it grossed 32 mln worldwide, so this movie is not even the biggest bomb of the year, let alone of all time.

Borderlands budget is $110M-$120M and $30M in marketing according to Deadline, there's no way it's a bigger flop than Joker 2.

19 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Huh? Joker 2 will at least make it's production budget ($190M) back.

No, it's not. Studios don't keep even half of the box office, The Flash lost $155M, we're looking at similar losses for Joker 2, more than Borderlands.

36 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

Borderlands budget is $110M-$120M and $30M in marketing according to Deadline, there's no way it's a bigger flop than Joker 2.

That's why I said "real budget". It cost 150M before they started principal photography according to Deadline and it had 2 rounds of massive reshoots after, each with different directors and writers taking over. 110M-120M figure is a lie to pretend it's a smaller flop than it actually is.

Edited by Firepower

6 hours ago, Belakor said:

Nah that title is disputed by two Disney movies (John Carter & The Marvels)

Strange World should also be in that group.

To keep focus on Joker its international numbers are bad for its budget, but not awful.  I think those will be enough to at least not be the worst bomb ever.

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

That's why I said "real budget". It cost 150M before they started principal photography according to Deadline and it had 2 rounds of massive reshoots after, each with different directors and writers taking over. 110M-120M figure is a lie to pretend it's a smaller flop than it actually is.

Even if it was cost $150M, it would still be a smaller flop than Joker 2

Joker 2: nuclear hate, potentially undermines future DC movies

Borderlands: another flop for Lionsgate but gets a movie doomed years ago off the books finally and gets them SOME money for it (while still a huge loss)

I'd say Joker 2 is a much bigger loser for the studio even if (and this isn't verified) the higher number was true for Borderlands.

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

Borderlands real budget is in the north of 200 mln

I don't recall that $150M number (I could easily have missed it) but I just think that's wrong. Unless there are tens of millions of dollars spent in the nearly decade of pre-production, I just don't think that $150M number made it to filming. 

Borderlands appeared to have been initially completely shot in Hungary (with reshoots elsewhere) and Hungary spending ~65M in QE and receiving a 20M tax credit. Based on a somewhat small sample of other hollywood films, I'd assume from that the net budget reported in the trades started around 90M +/- 10/20 million (and then account for the obviously significantly expensive reshoots in LA?). I see the path to $150M but where's the path to $200M? 

Is a lie

On that point, one or two sec filings for lionsgate in 2021/2022 mentioned their ad spending on Borderlands. I really do suspect they spent more than 30M overall on P&A for this film but we'll find out in a few days. However, that's also a point in Joker's favor. Lionsgate's just going to offer significantly smaller P&A commitments to a poorly testing new franchise than WB would for a billion dollar sequel (e.g. look at how much disney spent pushing the marvels). 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

"A big Friday jump, which it’s not going to get, would still only give it $2.5 million. It looks like $7 million is the target for the weekend. A Friday of barely $2 million will be the likely result, down 90% from last week. This is a nuclear-level box office disaster."

Edited by lookingformovies255

10 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Huh? Joker 2 will at least make it's production budget ($190M) back.

No it won;t,

It needs to do at least double that to get it;s  money back. Studios only get roughtly half the gross of a film.

Surprised you did not know this.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

People are incredibly ignorant if they think the DC brand is not at all hurt by this or the last couple of films.

Hurt but not dead.

It all depends now on how good Superman is.

Both sides need some perspective here., and not be so quick to pronounce sweeping judgements.

6 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

It's not but it feeds the "WBD sucks for DC" meme anyway.

Given that Warners owns DC outright........

It is not the same as Marvel, which merged with Dsiney, and the terms of the merger gave it some protection and independence. DC  was out and out purchased back in the 70's and don't have the protections that Marvel has.

Edited by dudalb