Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, DInky said:

I feel like the people who predicted this would flop simply wished it would flop. They didn't have anything to back up their prediction other than their own bias.

Nah social media interactions were very poor which helps gauge how much hype a CBM has. That's why my Deadpool predictions are so bullish 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Nah social media interactions were very poor which helps gauge how much hype a CBM has. That's why my Deadpool predictions are so bullish 

I guess I was thinking more broadly then just this forum. My original comment on the matter applies to 90% of the people outside of this forum that were predicting a complete flop.

Edited by DInky

9 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Most audiences only hear about sequels when the trailer comes out and they go “oh shit their making another one of those, oh it looks good, let’s see that!”

The idea the same audience who made CM2 a billion dollar film are the same audience participating in the MCU big fan meet-ups is just daft. Less than 10% of the audience knows what a phase is.

Am not blaming this all on the name. The name makes sense for a team up movie but they should have made a Captain Marvel 2 where she is the actual lead.

I think the promotion has been pretty clear about Carol being the lead on The Marvels (and people haven't heard that Captain Marvel 2 would exist). So, The Marvels being a sequel for Captain Marvel shouldn't be hard to discover by the general audience.

Honestly, blaming The Marvels name seems an exageration. It just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on Captain Marvel anymore. 

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Most audiences only hear about sequels when the trailer comes out and they go “oh shit their making another one of those, oh it looks good, let’s see that!”

The idea the same audience who made CM2 a billion dollar film are the same audience participating in the MCU big fan meet-ups is just daft. Less than 10% of the audience knows what a phase is.

Am not blaming this all on the name. The name makes sense for a team up movie but they should have made a Captain Marvel 2 where she is the actual lead.

Exactly. Two many people around  here have no clue what the GA audience actually thinks about these movies or even knows about. If the excitement is there they are interested if not nope. They sure as shit are not on a box office forum debating it endlessly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

People went to TDK despite it not having ‘Batman’ in the title.

Let's test this claim using posters (by "final poster" I mean the one walkups would actually see outside of the movie theater during a film's theatrical run).  

Initial poster:
darkknight-teaser-poster.jpg

And "come watch Health Ledger's Joker" ended up being an amazingly successful marketing pitch. 

Final poster:

pKKvCaL1TPTVtbI6EeliyND3api.jpg

"This is a Batman movie about Batman" 

versus The Marvels

Initial Poster:

The-Marvels-Poster.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ce

Which really doesn't clearly communicate it's CM2. If anyone's given a spotlight, I really think it's Kamala Khan. 

Final poster:

tt10676048.webp&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f09b71371

Now let's use DS2 as a comp.

initial poster:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Final poster

FPn5XwMVgAE8v2x.jpg

Both of which seem to clearly convey the idea Strange/Witch are two stars of the film (which to be fair isn't what I expected to find. Thought it would be more cleanly presented as a Doctor Strange film but it's explicitly a two handed film). 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

Title discourse goes nowhere since it's impossible to prove one way or the other but I can't imagine being even vaguely aware of The Marvels and not knowing it's a sequel to the first Captain Marvel. Perhaps the title made people think Carol was being de-emphasised as a character in favour of Kamala and Monica but her face is still front and center in every piece of marketing.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Exactly. Two many people around  here have no clue what the GA audience actually thinks about these movies or even knows about. If the excitement is there they are interested if not nope. They sure as shit are not on a box office forum debating it endlessly.

Honestly, but for engaging on this thread about The Marvels, it would have been near completely off my radar either until launch or around this point as the final stretch of marketing. Actively engaging on a forum about this stuff inherently increases interest/awareness.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Honestly, but for engaging on this thread about The Marvels, it would have been near completely off my radar either until launch or around this point as the final stretch of marketing. Actively engaging on a forum about this stuff inherently increases interest/awareness.

Yeah that may have happened with this if Disney/Marvel acted like they gave a shit about it and tried to save it but they aren't  and here we are. 

Said this before but I think this film is a rare case where the total is less than the sum of its parts - the d+ characters basically being anchors

Regardless of the title, think this would've performed better as a solo captain marvel 2 flick (or team-up with more popular characters) - probably still not a hit but better than how it's doing

I guess this will warn them off using d+ characters to headline films (though they really went to the bottom popularity-wise for this team up)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah that may have happened with this if Disney/Marvel acted like they gave a shit about it and tried to save it but they aren't  and here we are. 

What could they have done, really? If they think the reviews are bad then fan screenings and early social media reactions wouldn't help.

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Let's test this claim using posters (by "final poster" I mean the one walkups would actually see outside of the movie theater during a film's theatrical run).  

Initial poster:

And "come watch Health Ledger's Joker" ended up being an amazingly successful marketing pitch. 

Final poster:

versus The Marvels

Initial Poster:

Which really doesn't clearly communicate it's CM2. If anyone's given a spotlight, I really think it's Kamala Khan. 

Final poster:

initial poster:

Final poster

FPn5XwMVgAE8v2x.jpg

Both of which seem to clearly convey the idea Strange/Witch are two stars of the film. 

I don’t know how anyone could look at the marketing and not understand that Carol Danvers is a major character here. That was my point. A title doesn’t make that much of a difference. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DInky said:

What could they have done, really? If they think the reviews are bad then fan screenings and early social media reactions wouldn't help.

Exactly we are not in disagreement here. They know or think the movie is bad hence they don't give a shit and are throwing it to the wolves. 

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know how anyone could look at the marketing and not understand that Carol Danvers is a major character here. That was my point. A title doesn’t make that much of a difference. 

How could anyone not look at those posters and not see it’s a team up movie?

The Strange one is super good actually and the comparison I was grasping for. It’s clearly a ‘team up’ (although obviously the twist is it’s not) but it’s two very very popular characters. 

Meanwhile it’s someone called Monica no one knows or remembers and Kamala people also don’t know. Played by two tv actors.

I honestly don’t see The Marvels as a sequel but as a spin off and if they hadn’t internally called this CM2 I think most people who follow these things would have seen it as a spin off.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Exactly we are not in disagreement here. They know or think the movie is bad hence they don't give a shit and are throwing it to the wolves. 

So it's not that they don't give a shit, they just have no options left.

37 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Initial poster:

Final poster:

versus The Marvels

Initial Poster:

Final poster:

initial poster:

Final poster

FPn5XwMVgAE8v2x.jpg

Both of which seem to clearly convey the idea Strange/Witch are two stars of the film. 

So the point is that it's not the fuckin name of the product, it's the promo surrounding the product itself. I.e. sell the image of Batman and sell the image of Captain Marvel. 

• Like 1