Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, fully expecting another B+ / B on CS

The 6th MCU project in the past 2 years to be in this range, really dreadful situation compared to the piles of glowing A’s of an entire decade 

Worse when you remember that the only people seeing this are the diehards. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

This one especially imo had to be great. The problem with relying on the good WOMs for Wakanda Forever and GoTG Vol 3 is both in their own way felt like finales (Though GoTG Vol 3 was more intended as one than WF). As has been discussed ad nauseum, the new stuff and stuff meant to set up the future is just not hitting with people since Shang-Chi. I don't want to doompost too much in here, but even with GoTG Vol 3's excellent performance, I think this year'll be looked back on as the end for the MCU.

The MCU got too big, too bloated after Endgame. This Saga is clearly Multiverse shenanigans, but it is taking entirely too long for different thing that are set up in mid credits scenes to pay off, and it's starting to be more time in between certain characters appearances. I know Marvel is said to be scaling things down a bit, and they need to.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

French reviews are horrible, 2.6/5 on Allocine and still early so it can drop and match Quantumania’s 2.3/5 

French audience reception also horrible, similar to a C cinemascore 

Is it?

Glancing a flawed allocine database I found online, this has a +/- .1 allocine score as

Fast 9, Mulan, Mortal Kombat, GvK,  Terminator: Dark Fate, MiB: International, Godzilla - king of monsters, Pacific Rim 2, Sherlock Gnomes, Ben-Hur, 2016 Suicide Squad, Gods of Egypt

I stopped at 2016. It's a bad number but this seems to be missing Cinemascore's "high floor" for disliked films in certain genres. And if the French didn't love Boseman's role in Gods of Egypt, why do we care what they think?

It's similar to Birds of Prey (2.5 critics / 2.7 user), Godzilla 2 (2.5/2.6), Pacific Rim 2 (2.6/2.4), Assassins Creed (2.7/2.7), Transformers: Age of Extinction (2.7/2.8), The Rock's GI Joe (2.6/2.3). Twilight 3 (2.6/2.5), 2001's Tomb Raider (2.6/2.3)

FYI Morbius is 2.3/2.3

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Yeah, Mendelsohn is not the guy you want to use as an example of someone who "goes easy on Marvel"

I didn't mention him specifically. I'm very familiar with Medelsohn, and I think his takes are generally terrible. I'm just generalizing what we're reading from several takes so far.

59 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

The social media reactions are meh at best. Im guessing an average critic score of 5/10 on RT and and RT score of 52%

I don't think the movie is going to be straight up panned on RT... because the director maybe. And the Hollywood Reporter piece just caused that many accounts who write reviews to come to her defense.

What is a fact is that the test screening went horrible. Some people who can never shut up gave bad reactions, and someone who attended the screening told the entire plot on Reddit while panned it.

Except for the US, I think reception will be worse than Quantumania in the rest of the world.

Edited by Lighthouse

I don't think the idea of "Marvel Bias" holds up after Eternals, Quantumania, and Secret Invasion.

I think it's just Occam's razor; the reason they say the movie is enjoyable but messy in parts is because...that's how they feel about the movie. Maybe you could make the case that the negative coverage lowered expectations going in, but there's a clear consensus across these reactions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

2 negative reviews on RT now.

You'd think Disney would be powerful enough to hold some of these reviews back until the embargo lifts... Also why is RT allowing this before the embargo lmao 

Edited by tdangie

19 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Is it?

Glancing a flawed allocine database I found online, this has a +/- .1 allocine score as

Fast 9, Mulan, Mortal Kombat, GvK,  Terminator: Dark Fate, MiB: International, Godzilla - king of monsters, Pacific Rim 2, Sherlock Gnomes, Ben-Hur, 2016 Suicide Squad, Gods of Egypt

I stopped at 2016. It's a bad number but this seems to be missing Cinemascore's "high floor" for disliked films in certain genres. And if the French didn't love Boseman's role in Gods of Egypt, why do we care what they think?

It's similar to Birds of Prey (2.5 critics / 2.7 user), Godzilla 2 (2.5/2.6), Pacific Rim 2 (2.6/2.4), Assassins Creed (2.7/2.7), Transformers: Age of Extinction (2.7/2.8), The Rock's GI Joe (2.6/2.3). Twilight 3 (2.6/2.5), 2001's Tomb Raider (2.6/2.3)

FYI Morbius is 2.3/2.3

I mean pretty much all the movies you quoted have awful reception on US too, i don’t get the point 

And i was only talking about France, it’s their market so there are value for them. Guardians 3 for example had very good scores both from press and audiences on AlloCine

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tdangie said:

you'd think the Disney would be powerful enough to hold some of these reviews back.. also why is RT allowing this before the embargo lmao 

For some reviews I'm guessing it has to do with the location of the publication. The review embargo here dropped a few hours ago because today is the movie's release, could be the same wherever those two critics are and they're not actually breaking a signed embargo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tdangie said:

You'd think Disney would be powerful enough to hold some of these reviews back until the embargo lifts... Also why is RT allowing this before the embargo lmao 

Prime Disney would have been able

to threaten them.

2023 100th Anniversary Disney has had a crazy number of bombs this year and holds no power.

Edited by Valencia
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1