Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I don't think Blade is getting axed rn, but having new creatives brought in doesn't necessarily mean they're committed to it. Movies can and do get scrapped very late into development. I'm not talking about the crazy shit like Batgirl, but if things aren't working, the delays from the strikes are hindering production and in the meantime the studio pivots on its direction due to an overall poor reception to its products in 2023 (both in cinemas and TV), it really wouldn't be insane if Blade got cut eventually.

Fact is, the strikes have given the studio further time to re-evaluate everything and The Marvels potentially being a massive flop could be the final straw for a change of direction in the theatrical side, not just the announced shake up on D+. We'll just have to wait and see, but I would just be wary about taking the current announced slate as set in stone.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Nonsense.  People know who Blade is and Snipes’s portrayal remains  memorable.  People are interested in Vampires too.

It sounds like the approach is going to be very different than Snipes blade. 20s setting, period piece, it's gonna be a different approach 

As for the film axing thing, Thunderbolts feels too far in development to axe. Blade, I can see being pushed to the next saga or MCU reboot though. Maybe it gets reborn as sort of an Elseworld type story.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Not nonsense. Filling Snipes shoes is tough, Ali is no black belt martial artist (a fact that really elevated Snipe's Blade aside his natural badass look) and he isn't getting younger, and the first draft was scrapped cause someone thought it was a good idea to focus the movie on Blade's daughter (think Blade 3 and how they made it about Reynolds and Biel). So there are obviously big creative problems bts. 

Your assumption is they're trying to remake Snipes Blade, which doesn't seem to be the case. And despite your hatred of the young heroes, Blades daughter is a character from the comics.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

As for the film axing thing, Thunderbolts feels too far in development to axe. Blade, I can see being pushed to the next saga or MCU reboot though. Maybe it gets reborn as sort of an Elseworld type story.

Blade was going to begin shooting before Thunderbolts. The sets are already built. Since it's going to be R rated, I don't see why Marvels is the barometer for its future and not Deadpool.

Remember, Marvel has only ever axed two movies that they had announced: Runaways, because they wanted to focus Phase 1 on the Avengers, and Inhumans, which literally only existed because of someone Feige despises which is why it was junked at the earliest opportunity.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Blade was going to begin shooting before Thunderbolts. The sets are already built. Since it's going to be R rated, I don't see why Marvels is the barometer for its future and not Deadpool.

Yeah, I don’t buy Blade being R unless I see it being officially rated by the MPA. Also where are you getting that sets are being built/are built?

I am not really using Marvels as a barometer but more so the reception of Phase 4/5 as a whole and Blade never really being that big.

Edited by YM!

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Yeah, I don’t buy Blade being R unless I see it being officially rated by the MPA. Also where are you getting that sets are being built/are built?

Why not? Deadpool 3 is going to be R so clearly that's not an issue.

Blade was supposed to start filming in May. But then the writers strike caused production to shut down.

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Why not? Deadpool 3 is going to be R so clearly that's not an issue.

Blade was supposed to start filming in May. But then the writers strike caused production to shut down.

Deadpool is more so due to legacy and even Feige knows making a PG-13 Deadpool would be the end of him. Feige has said a lot of things about things being more brutal but didn’t pan out, remember Moon Knight.

George Miller’s Justice League was also to start filming during a strike. Different circumstances but it wouldn’t be surprising.

17 minutes ago, YM! said:

Thunderbolts with budget halved (or more) and released as a D+ movie or series to replace the canceled Wonder Man series from this week.

Blade canceled in full.

Anything they can still axe on D+ for "other" characters also gets axed.

Instead of 100 one shot D+series with 100 characters, they focus down to 3-4 series/year that have follow on seasons.  So, folks know those characters are D+ characters and plan accordingly.  I see all the Thunderbolts characters in that tier (especially b/c their powers are street-level, ala cheap to film), so they could turn the movie into a series that continues (ala the Defenders series Netflix had)...

These are my projections after The Marvels opens...

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

Deadpool is more so due to legacy and even Feige knows making a PG-13 Deadpool would be the end of him. Feige has said a lot of things about things being more brutal but didn’t pan out, remember Moon Knight.

George Miller’s Justice League was also to start filming during a strike. Different circumstances but it wouldn’t be surprising.

Moon Knight failed b/c the last 3 episodes didn't make much sense...you had 3 episodes of one series and then 3 of another (and this dichotomy was also a downfall of Ms. Marvel - being unable to stick to a simple through line when only filming 6 episode seasons)...

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Moon Knight failed b/c the last 3 episodes didn't make much sense...you had 3 episodes of one series and then 3 of another (and this dichotomy was also a downfall of Ms. Marvel - being unable to stick to a simple through line when only filming 6 episode seasons)...

I think that those problems happen cause those 6 ep shows only have content for 1 hr 30 min TV movies that gets stretched into a series. So they add shit that creates dichotomy. FATWS is another. You had that dumb plot with totally-not-terrorists and Zemo stuff and Walker stuff and each could have been a TV movie instead of messily stitched together show. 

• Like 2

I don't really think this movie will cause a lot of changes. I don't think Blade will happen but that's for its own issues. Armor Wars and the Shang-Chi sequel are the only movies that feel are potential chopping block candidates if this movie does flop but again that's more towards the general state of Marvel.

Deadpool 3 feels like the more important movie that could really cause some changes if it underperforms (little to no chance it outright flops) and/or gets a bad response, given the multiverse of it all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I just think it's weird people point to Blade as "the one they're obviously going to cancel" when ostensibly it's much further along in development than say Fantastic Four, which has not a single officially cast actor.

B/c they need to flip the script, and Blade doesn't do that.

Most folks are looking at projects that introduce yet more C and D list Marvel characters and thinking "these will go b/c no one's gonna care to jump on the project when there's already 100 other characters in play to keep track of"...

Like, I don't care about any of next year's material but Deadpool...and depending what Disney does to that movie from its previous editions, I may or may not go to that one.  Deadpool is A list...Fantastic Four is at least B list, even though no one has figured out how to film them...Blade and Thunderbolts are D list...

Edit to Add: 2 teams are A list in Marvel - Avengers and Xmen - this is why so many big comic crossovers involve them teaming up or fighting...Fantastic Four is the next level down...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I just think we're nowhere close to a film cancellation level. Marvel isn't DC where they announce a film and then the announcement is the last you ever hear about it, when it goes up on that comicon slate schedule 99% of the time it comes out.

A change to the schedule will most likely be delays, but those were already well past happening anyways. Probably the same amount of movies just on a longer timeframe.

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I just think it's weird people point to Blade as "the one they're obviously going to cancel" when ostensibly it's much further along in development than say Fantastic Four, which has not a single officially cast actor.

Shakman said that the cast is ready to go and will announce them after the strike, F4 has or at least is closer to a complete script - with Kunis being friends with Shakman knowing the cast and F4 has a higher ceiling Blade ever did.

Edited by YM!

If The Marvels flop most logical chopping block will be Ms Marvel S2 (which shouldn't have been announced after S1's dismal performance) and scrapping plans to feature her in X Men which was a dumb idea to begin with since X Men are attraction on their own, they don't need "help" from outside to draw audience. Also, that mutant reference was super vague and made on a show nobody watched so it's as good as that it never happened. Likewise, if they plan Monica show or movie or related project (I think there was a talk about Maria show), that'll get flushed down the toilet too. These are the easiest and most logical discards.

Everything else is wait and see cause it doesn't have the direct impact but they have to make some kind of selection. Oh and Secret Wars S2 is a toast too.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Some of you guys are acting like The Marvels will kill the entire MCU. This hasn't even been released yet, chill. Hopefully this will get good/great reviews, and even if it doesn't I think Quantumania and the Disney+ shows have caused more damage than a mediocre Captain Marvel sequel. They are not going to completely ignore Captain Marvel as a character in future movies and remove her from the MCU, as much as some of you would like that.  

In my opinion, they have realized way to late of what was happening to the MCU but hopefully they will course correct it for future phases. Unfortunately, upcoming movies are going to underperform because of this. I think if this would have been released in 2022 it would be tracking way better. 

• Like 3