Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

How can you say that they failed get people invested if less than two years ago a film set in the MCU made $1.9B without a single cent from China? The MCU would never become bigger and bigger after Endgame, it would go back to the same pattern from before: huge blockbusters throughout the years with a breakout every three to four years. Here is an example of this pattern: Endgame (2019), No Way Home (2021). The next MCU film to break out is likely Deadpool 3 (2024), but it doesn’t mean that the other films didn’t do well at the box office either.

The MCU has never had sequels to movies that opened to $150m+ tracking to open to $70m opening

We are in unprecedented waters here. The whole operation is collapsing and spiraling downwards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

What do you think Secret Wars is about? Why we are having all this talk about ‘multiversal war’ and what not with Loki? You don’t get three Spider-Men without the multiverse aspect of it. Also, now Doctor Strange is bad because of its multiplier? Both films did what it did without China. Something that you surely know that BvS did have. I can twist numbers to look better than they actually are too, just like you are going out of your way to try alternative facts and will into existence a distaste to Marvel’s multiverse stories when reality points otherwise. Yes, a film featuring multiverses bombed, but that was The Flash, not No Way Home or Multiverse of Madness. What you are doing now is no different than the bullshit discourse that DCEU diehards would make back in the day saying that BvS was in fact a success, it’s mental gymnastics rhetoric that just makes for petty arguments. The numbers for No Way Home are astronomical, that’s precisely what Marvel Studios is angling with Secret Wars, but on steroids.

Both BvS and MoM were successes, but they damaged interest in the future of their respective universes. MCU right now is where DCEU was in 2017. Quantumania and Justice were the straw that broke the camel's back. Perhaps DP3 will be the Marvel version of Aquaman at the BO, particularly if it gets delayed to December.

The one advantage MCU has over DCEU is Spider-Man, who is easily the most popular superhero and it's not close. Spider-Man 4, 5, and 6 are guaranteed to make huge $$$ if the quality is there. And if he is the lead in Kang Dynasty, perhaps that will be able to do decent numbers. 

Secret Wars is, of course, guaranteed to do huge $$$ as they will drop a truck full of cash into RDJ's and Chris Evans' mansions. So it's not as grim as DCEU. While the MCU brand name alone may be able to propel movies with no hype like the Marvels to $300m or so globally, there is no guarantee that will be the case in, say, 2026. By then it may be doing only Bue Beetle numbers.

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Both BvS and MoM were successes, but they damaged interest in the future of their respective universes. MCU right now is where DCEU was in 2017. Quantumania and Justice were the straw that broke the camel's back. Perhaps DP3 will be the Marvel version of Aquaman at the BO, particularly if it gets delayed to December.

The one advantage MCU has over DCEU is Spider-Man, who is easily the most popular superhero and it's not close. Spider-Man 4, 5, and 6 are guaranteed to make huge $$$ if the quality is there. And if he is the lead in Kang Dynasty, perhaps that will be able to do decent numbers. 

Secret Wars is, of course, guaranteed to do huge $$$ as they will drop a truck full of cash into RDJ's and Chris Evans' mansions. So it's not as grim as DCEU. While the MCU brand name alone may be able to propel movies with no hype like the Marvels to $300m or so globally, there is no guarantee that will be the case in, say, 2026. By then it may be doing only Bue Beetle numbers.

He's been threadbanned and will likely leave the forum again, not sure why you keep answering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This post hits the nail on the head for me regarding these new rumours:

Reveal hidden contents

Black Adam opened significantly better than any post-Aquaman DCEU movie. With $393 million worldwide without China, it had more than double the audience of the 3 DCEU movies released before and the 3 released after it: Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, Shazam 2, The Flash and Blue Beetle average under $180m worldwide. So I think it's weird to claim audiences were indifferent to the cameo in Black Adam, especially when it saw a significant boost in presales after the cameo started being openly reported in the media and on social media.

If the cameo in The Marvels generates engagement and excitement among fans, that buzz will spill over to general audiences.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Black Adam opened significantly better than any post-Aquaman DCEU movie. With $393 million worldwide without China, it had more than double the audience of the 3 DCEU movies released before and the 3 released after it: Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, Shazam 2, The Flash and Blue Beetle average under $180m worldwide. So I think it's weird to claim audiences were indifferent to the cameo in Black Adam, especially when it saw a significant boost in presales after the cameo started being openly reported in the media and on social media.

If the cameo in The Marvels generates engagement and excitement among fans, that buzz will spill over to general audiences.

Perhaps, but I think it's more likely that the novelty factor of The Rock as an actual comic book super gave it an edge over the usual DCEU nonstarters.

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

So I think it's weird to claim audiences were indifferent to the cameo in Black Adam, especially when it saw a significant boost in presales after the cameo started being openly reported in the media and on social media.

Seems that person meant that most people were indifferent about cavill as superman, not that people were indifferent to the cameo itself or its implications. Their argument seems to be that having a cameo with a character only certain diehards were clamoring for doesn't bode well for the quality of the rest of the movie. 

18 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

Seems that person meant that most people were indifferent about cavill as superman, not that people were indifferent to the cameo itself or its implications. Their argument seems to be that having a cameo with a character only certain diehards were clamoring for doesn't bode well for the quality of the rest of the movie. 

It really doesn't mean anything, if it's true at all. People are acting like Marvels hyping it up the way the Rock hyped up Superman on Black Adam but that's not true at all. It's just leakers reporting on the end credits, which is something that has happened for years. I don't know why people are acting like this is a marketing angle.

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It really doesn't mean anything, if it's true at all. People are acting like Marvels hyping it up the way the Rock hyped up Superman on Black Adam but that's not true at all. It's just leakers reporting on the end credits, which is something that has happened for years. I don't know why people are acting like this is a marketing angle.

Well if their point is that it isn't a good sign for the quality of the movie, it doesn't matter whether it's "accidental" marketing leaks, or just normal leaks

Don't know and don't care what the cameo is but I'm somewhat curious to see if it moves something sales wise cause this thing looks absolutely anemic right now

I do remember the supe cameo stuff somewhat helping out black adam though it wasn't a major game changer

Edited by JustLurking

12 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

Well if their point is that it isn't a good sign for the quality of the movie, it doesn't matter whether it's "accidental" marketing leaks, or just normal leaks

But since when is the post credits scene ever considered the determiner of the quality of the rest of the movie? It's the last couple seconds. Ant-Mans literally had a straight up clip from Civil War and that wasny anything like the tone of the Ant Man movie at all

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

"The Rock in a random rock movie" clearly outperformed all of those but the Flash and arguably beats Flash.

Ramage opened to 35M, Jungle Cruise opened to 35M (plus 20M or so in Disney premiere access according to samba) so let's pretend that's ~50M, Hercules 29M, San Andreas 54M, GI Joe 40M

It seems people simply don't care about this movie. The director, producers, writers and marketing are all missing.

The post credits scene ( if it's real ) won't really help the movie that much. I wouldn't spend money to watch a movie just to see a post credits scene. At least, not for a movie like The Marvels. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It seems people simply don't care about this movie. The director, producers, writers and marketing are all missing.

The post credits scene ( if it's real ) won't really help the movie that much. I wouldn't spend money to watch a movie just to see a post credits scene. At least, not for a movie like The Marvels. 

Especially for that character.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

But since when is the post credits scene ever considered the determiner of the quality of the rest of the movie? It's the last couple seconds. Ant-Mans literally had a straight up clip from Civil War and that wasny anything like the tone of the Ant Man movie at all

Idk man I'm just saying what they're suggesting,  it's not my opinion lol