The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Lmfao this is ridiculous. That would require an absolutely ludicrous drop. Sub 1 billion is not happening full stop.

You said the same thing about Marvel dropping 70-75% from the first one, which now not only looks plausible but perhaps even likely. If the film isn't great audiences will reject it. $200m/$390m/$950m scenario doesn't sound too crazy, given that previews will be starting at 11 AM when this comes out.

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If by "smaller scale team up film" you mean "Strange and America" that's a huge reach to say it's not a Doctor Strange movie. It's not like Civil War which is literally a movie about The Avengers 

More like Strange and Wanda who are both Avengers. Plus the cameos rumors helped opening weekend A LOT 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

You said the same thing about Marvel dropping 70-75% from the first one, which now not only looks plausible but perhaps even likely. If the film isn't great audiences will reject it. $200m/$390m/$950m scenario doesn't sound too crazy, given that previews will be starting at 11 AM when this comes out.

You're reaching big time. There's absolutely zero credible evidence pointing towards Avengers tanking as much as you're predicting.

Kind of sad that legacy actors is the main thing keeping the MCU going. All the hype for Secret Wars is not people excited to see Shang Chi team up with Shuri or Captain Falcon interacting with Ms Marvel but potentially seeing Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man meet Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, the villain in this is Tom Hiddleston's wife?

Yes she is. I find it funny and baffling that Thor Ragnarok got Cate Blanchett playing the villain and Captain Marvel, coming off of a billion dollar film, gets an actress primarily known as Tom Hiddleston's wife. I don't say this to disparage her talents at all but she's a little known actress. That is a fact. Usually I wouldn't care because it's not like Chukwudi Iwuji is a house hold name and he played the villain in GOTG 3 but I think The Marvels could have used a bigger star for the villain to help sell the film. That's just my opinion though. I'm sure the usual suspects will write a long dissertation about how wrong I am. 

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes she is. I find it funny and baffling that Thor Ragnarok got Cate Blanchett playing the villain and Captain Marvel, coming off of a billion dollar film, gets an actress primarily known as Tom Hiddleston's wife. I don't say this to disparage her talents at all but she's a little known actress. That is a fact. Usually I wouldn't care because it's not like Chukwudi Iwuji is a house hold name and he played the villain in GOTG 3 but I think The Marvels could have used a bigger star for the villain to help sell the film. That's just my opinion though. I'm sure the usual suspects will write a long dissertation about how wrong I am. 

You're totally right, weird choice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Maybe they thought they didn't need to help sell the movie. Marvel might be sniffing their own farts. Quantumania as a banger lives in my head every time i think about the executives and producers choices recently. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

Maybe they thought they didn't need to help sell the movie. Marvel might be sniffing their own farts. Quantumania as a banger lives in my head every time i think about the executives and producers choices recently. 

I know that this opinion will raise the ire of some in here but I do think that Marvel knew that the sequel to Captain Marvel needed a little help and that's why they did this team up with third stringers movie. Certainly I know that Brie Larson wanted to do a girl team movie but I'm thinking Marvel agreed to it because they knew they did need another selling point besides "come and watch this character that we failed to develop in this sequel." I just don't think that the third stringers were enough. Anyway, that's just my new theory now. Let's see if the reviews can save this film. It will have to buck an MCU trend and get better reviews than the first. Good luck on that. 

16 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I know that this opinion will raise the ire of some in here but I do think that Marvel knew that the sequel to Captain Marvel needed a little help and that's why they did this team up with third stringers movie. Certainly I know that Brie Larson wanted to do a girl team movie but I'm thinking Marvel agreed to it because they knew they did need another selling point besides "come and watch this character that we failed to develop in this sequel." I just don't think that the third stringers were enough. Anyway, that's just my new theory now. Let's see if the reviews can save this film. It will have to buck an MCU trend and get better reviews than the first. Good luck on that. 

Certainly, but they executed it poorly. Using two Disney+ new adds as side characters was a bad move. 

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Certainly, but they executed it poorly. Using two Disney+ new adds as side characters was a bad move. 

I think teyonah parris is significantly more charismatic* than Brie Larson. The other girl is allegedly likable too, so i think if they weren't introduced in tv shows they would definitely help this movie.  As it stands, I'm not sure it will matter. 

*note that i said charismatic.  Who's the better actress? I don't know. I just feel like I see a lot of people respond to comments about Brie's charisma as if they are comments on her acting ability.  Two different things. 

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I think using Monica was a bad move from the point of view of marketing, but it makes sense from the story's point of view. But yeah, it's an odd one.

Ms. Marvel though I'm sure made sense to them at the time of the decision. They likely thought her series would be much more impactful than it turned out to be...