Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I used to buy every marvel movie on blu ray but stopped after Black Widow cause they are all available on Disney plus now.  I dunno if there is any connection or not but if you’re on the fence for this movie and already have a subscription then why not just wait 3 or 4 months to basically see it for way less money?

I get the sense that D+ isn't seen to have that big of an impact on non-animated films but I agree it's a good hypothesis. 

28 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't know about you guys, way too many red flags to ignore. Some people are saying Marvel wants to "protect" this movie because it has "serious" spoilers. That's a really weird hill to die on. There's a very high chance this movie sucks and it gets badly reviewed. That's reality

Add in the lack of hype and energy. 

They just dropped a tv clip actively trying to sell those serious spoilers so that's not it. 

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is not the right thread. But look at an optimistic scenario for Marvels in tracking thread and extrapolate OW. I am wondering what is the ceiling at this point. 

Ironically, the truly optimistic scenario might be … Shazam 2! In that a film largely overlooked by the typical fan base that it behaves likes a generic family action flick 

5 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I guess I'm trying to figure out to what degree this is Clash of Titans and to what degree this is creative missteps. 

If... If The Marvels opens as low as it looks like it might open (and yes we do have to use the word "if"), it is a perfect storm of factors where any one factor isn't enough to explain everything.

Just like any one factor wasn't enough to explain how Captain Marvel did as well as it did in the first place, as that had a perfect storm of factors... just in the opposite direction.

Maybe unsatisfying, but such is often the case in a complicated, interconnected media landscape. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, Joker is about the most kid-unfriendly movie I think I've seen in theaters the last few years...not sure what kid would be brought to that movie, but I think they'd be traumatized after...

Even last year's The Batman was not made for kids...at all...of course, compared to the Joker, it was all sunshine and rainbows...

I can’t think of a less “kids movie” blockbuster in the history of ever than Joker lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Dune 2 would have killed this movie

Eh, I will remain unconvinced Dune 2 can be a big hit at all until I see it.

What would have killed it was the original Barbenheimer release follow up. This may have done like 25/55 with that release or something. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh, I will remain unconvinced Dune 2 can be a big hit at all until I see it.

What would have killed it was the original Barbenheimer release follow up. This may have done like 25/55 with that release or something. 

at least then they could just blame Barbenheimer for the flop. Now they have nothing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

at least then they could just blame Barbenheimer for the flop. Now they have nothing

That’s true. Barbenheimer definitely

would have been a far more convincing scapegoat than anything now. It is an open schedule really. 

On the flip side, if this November goes as catastrophic as I think it could, they could just claim the “box office is dead” in general. In reality, appealing tentpoles are dead right now.

Edited by MovieMan89

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Don't want to post this on Twitter and cause a shit show but I'm really concerned they're still not screening the entire movie yet. Junket press only saw 30 minutes worth yesterday and today.

To be fair that’s a whole third of the movie lol

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

we are used to Marvel Studios films being frontloaded yes, but maybe The Marvel can break that rule if it’s, you know, good?

You know Hunger games is releasing during its 2nd weekend right?

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

He who should not be named is claiming he saw Wonka and The Marvels. Apparently, " The Marvels is mediocre at best.  I've seen #Wonka .  Not great.  The weakest Q4 since 2011 (non-pandemic)." 

By the way (excluding 2020) every year since 2015 has had a movie in December gross over $1 billion globally

This year will (brutally) end the streak

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I think Thunderbolts would have a novelty factor which would increase interest. Plus Red Hulk and Yelena could help it break out. 

Thunderbolts needs to commit to The Dirty Dozen/The Wild Bunch vibes and murder the entire team by the end of the movie except for The Lone Survivor.