Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

3 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

imagine saying this about Nia DaCosta of all people

Teen girls aren't watching this anyways so IDK why it matters. They will watch Hunger Games instead. It is gonna skew 60/40 in favor of dudes like the OG. Women don't care about Superheroes anymore, as evidence by the 70/30 split The Flash had.

That was a huge misstep. Felt like almost a complete waste of time watching it. There might be a movie in there somewhere but it was horribly chopped up in the editing stage and it's really obvious after seeing it. It's all over the place and the movie is barely coherent. I guess the actors are there to say a few goofy lines occasionally.

• Like 8
  • Astonished 3

24 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

That doesn't seem like it's what the rotten critics are complaining about, but ok. 

They were alot of criticisms like that on joker movie.

Some weird ones even saying it was " incel fuel"  or dangerous for society .

The move has it problems but it's nature and heavy subject matter  definitely played apart too. 

Edited by Liiviig 1998

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

They were alot of criticisms like that on joker movie.

Some weird ones even saying it was " incel fuel"  or dangerous for society .

The move has it problems but it's nature and heavy subject matter  definitely played apart too. 

MCU skews male too. But it has 4 guadrant appeal and cuts across all demographics.

I mostly see 3 genres of criticism
1. Incel fuel
2. only feigns depth

3. Copies better films without really getting it. 

30 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Teen girls aren't watching this anyways so IDK why it matters. They will watch Hunger Games instead. It is gonna skew 60/40 in favor of dudes like the OG. Women don't care about Superheroes anymore, as evidence by the 70/30 split The Flash had.

my audience looked about 70% adult men. Most of the women also appeared to the girlfriends/wives (though obviously you can't tell if she brought him as opposed to vice versa). 

Granted this was the very first screening so it would’ve skewed hard towards diehards. Casual audience may be more balanced 

Edited by Hecking Nidorino
Additional info

5 minutes ago, YachtyLogs said:

This isn't the Joker thread. 

That's true, but the point of my joker-talk was to cast doubt on the theory that female critics tend to rate MCU films higher just because women are "less critical" or "more easily pleased", which is relevant because The Marvels has a pretty high gap between the scores of the male and female critics. Men currently at 54% women at 71%, and an even larger gap of 40/63 for top critics. 

edit: recent MCU films at least. I only looked at The Marvels, Love & Thunder, and Gotg 3. Next I'll see if it was any different for the earlier phases 

Edited by Hypercortical

Just now, Hecking Nidorino said:

my audience looked about 70% adult men. Most of the women also appeared to the girlfriends/wives (though obviously you can't tell if she brought him as opposed to vice versa). 

This is what no opposite sex love interest does to a movie. 

I want everyone to be reminded that The Flash constantly kept going up and down on the 60's on RT and that was after being up to 73%. If the Marvels is already going rotten and is barely going upwards just to 59%, it's gonna fall hard when Friday rolls by

• Like 1

Just now, Nicson said:

I want everyone to be reminded that The Flash constantly kept going up and down on the 60's on RT and that was after being up to 73%. If the Marvels is already going rotten and is barely going upwards just to 59%, it's gonna fall hard when Friday rolls by

Yeah. I think all the Marvel fanboys and IGN-types have already rated it. No where to go but down.

5 minutes ago, Nicson said:

It doesn't matter. Barely rotten or barely flash for a barely movie. I'll be watching it on discount day, cause I need a good laugh! XD

Tbh the only female led superhero movie that I felt was marketed well to women was Wonderwoman.

The rest have just been lacking here. BOP, BW, CM were heavily male driven in terms of Audience engagement.

DC choosing to adapt BOP rather Gotham city sirens still bugs me  to this day.

Suicide squad was panned but Harley was  one of the best things about it

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah. I think all the Marvel fanboys and IGN-types have already rated it. No where to go but down.

Has the MovieBob's review already been processed? It just needs about 5-10 straight fresh tomatoes to get the score up to 60%. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

idk maybe. We're about 118-130 people in. (the number they display is different from the number of reviews you can count). 
when Gotg 3 was a little over 100 people, it was still at 79% (I know, because I just recorded all its first 100 or so reviews to compare the gender divide), and it's currently 82 (and I thought it was more like 84, but ok). So there is possibility of going up. 

IMO, Deadpool 3 is Marvel’s last best-chance at audience perception course correction.

I do believe that Feige has realized that the MCU has to “grow up” with it’s audience, and the (seemingly) violent Echo, presumably being up-violented Daredevil, R rated Deadpool, and R rated Blade can help reshape the perception of MCU projects.

The MCU’s core audience is a little over a decade older than when The Avengers debuted. The content needs to reflect that. In that regards, The Marvels/Quantumania seemed to regress  in maturity. Multiverse of Madness and Love and Thunder kinda did too, cancer  jokes and corpse resurrection notwithstanding.