Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

IMO, Deadpool 3 is Marvel’s last best-chance at audience perception course correction.

I do believe that Feige has realized that the MCU has to “grow up” with it’s audience, and the (seemingly) violent Echo, presumably being up-violented Daredevil, R rated Deadpool, and R rated Blade can help reshape the perception of MCU projects.

The MCU’s core audience is a little over a decade older than when The Avengers debuted. The content needs to reflect that. In that regards, The Marvels/Quantumania seemed to regress  in maturity. Multiverse of Madness and Love and Thunder kinda did too, cancer  jokes and corpse resurrection notwithstanding.

I appreciate that you put "grow up" in scare quotes 😌

6 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

idk maybe. We're about 118-130 people in. (the number they display is different from the number of reviews you can count). 
when Gotg 3 was a little over 100 people, it was still at 79% (I know, because I just recorded all its first 100 or so reviews to compare the gender divide), and it's currently 82 (and I thought it was more like 84, but ok). So there is possibility of going up. 

Unlike Marvels, Gotg3 is an actual movie, and not a mutilated, chopped up, clunky mess.

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Unlike Marvels, Gotg3 is an actual movie, and not a mutilated, chopped up, clunky mess.

Ok and? The Marvels so far has had a trend of starting low, and then rising a little, similar to Gotg, and unlike Thor 4 which had a trend of starting high, then crashing. 

9 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

That's true, but the point of my joker-talk was to cast doubt on the theory that female critics tend to rate MCU films higher just because women are "less critical" or "more easily pleased", which is relevant because The Marvels has a pretty high gap between the scores of the male and female critics. Men currently at 54% women at 71%, and an even larger gap of 40/63 for top critics. 

edit: recent MCU films at least. I only looked at The Marvels, Love & Thunder, and Gotg 3. Next I'll see if it was any different for the earlier phases 

Think I said  easier to please. 

But not

Women are " less critical"  you clearly start to put words in my mouth .

1 minute ago, Hypercortical said:

It reminds me of when I left the theater after seeing that film with my family. My mom and I were both saying "Not as good as ragnarok, but I like it a lot." While my dad was like "no, that was... no."

Ragnorak was a superhero movie trying to be a comedy, while Love & Thunder was a comedy trying to be a SH movie.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

idk maybe. We're about 118-130 people in. (the number they display is different from the number of reviews you can count). 
when Gotg 3 was a little over 100 people, it was still at 79% (I know, because I just recorded all its first 100 or so reviews to compare the gender divide), and it's currently 82 (and I thought it was more like 84, but ok). So there is possibility of going up. 

GotG3 was part of the critic trend hopping thing I’ve talked about that has become prominent this year, wherein critics that chime in after OW mostly look to how audience/box office reception is going. 

10 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So other than GOTG 3, what post-Endgame marvel films are NOT " mutilated, chopped up, clunky mess."?

Black Widow, Eternals, Far From Home, Shang-Chi and Black Panther 2? 

I haven't seen the first 2 but all 5 clearly fit the bill. BP2 had some stuff randomly shoehorned in but that's clearly a result of pre-production meddling/discussions. 

25 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

I was inspired by one of your earlier comments to try and do a similar thing - I'm pretty sure that's "just" an anti-scraping thing RT added (I toggled my VPN and was suddenly able to access the rest of the reviews). 

I think I grabbed all of the reviews for the 3 "phase 5" films (but possibly didn't). Hopefully I'll get around to graphing "same critics" and/or gender. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

GotG3 was part of the critic trend hopping thing I’ve talked about that has become prominent this year, wherein critics that chime in after OW mostly look to how audience/box office reception is going. 

RT should really stop accepting reviews after the Sunday of opening weekend. I really hate bandwagon jumpers.

Edited by Mojoguy

5 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I was inspired by one of your earlier comments to try and do a similar thing - I'm pretty sure that's "just" an anti-scraping thing RT added (I toggled my VPN and was suddenly able to access the rest of the reviews). 

I think I grabbed all of the reviews for the 3 "phase 5" films (but possibly didn't). Hopefully I'll get around to graphing "same critics" and/or gender. 

nice

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Ragnorak was a superhero movie trying to be a comedy, while Love & Thunder was a comedy trying to be a SH movie.

This is quite accurate.

Thor Rajnorak was wild but it had a serious Comic Book Story being told and emotional moments.

Thor 4 was just slapstick comedy scenes after another and the story made no sense. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

There are some statements that have undeniable implications
@Liiviig 1988

9 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

There are some statements that have undeniable implications
@Liiviig 1988

Sure if you cut it out like that. The statement after I was  literally saying in terms of being critical to flaws upon enjoyment of a movie.

To clarify it better.  Was saying as long as they enjoy the movie, they would be more willing and  forgiving towards it's flaws than Men who tend to nitpick or over analyze it even after  enjoying it .

Once again not saying women don't  nitpick or overanalyze but men just tend to do that more often compared to women. 

Both sides are able to analyze and critique a film . But on the enjoyment factor ,think women would be more willing to look past the flaws of the film and see the merit  compared to men .

But that's just my opinion

Yeah I guess there a lot of  variables to consider . So my statement datawise  was kind of lacking.