Eric Duncan

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Let's be fair. If the producers wanna secure their investments and think they can get the audience by OTT or VOD, they should be free to do so. Exhibitors have no right whatsoever.

I also wonder, if producers can leverage this situation for better sharing terms when all this is over. In ideal world, Studios deserve way more than 50% of Net revenue.

Studio get merchandise sales, higher portion of home media revenue. 

You own something doesn't mean you can commit wrongdoing. Just like you own the kids doesn't mean you should abuse them in the name of "your investment"

You can doesn't mean you should.

Ultimately you get to report box office number to us because of theatrical experience  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Studio get merchandise sales, higher portion of home media revenue

Yeah because that's their right, isn't it? The theatrical shares were around 60-70% before multiplexes. In fact in India they still do for single screens and South Indian films. For Indian films in USA this is also same (AMC-Regal 40-45%, Cinemark 50-55%, Individual chains 50-60%). Donno if Hollywood has same. The problem started with multiplexes starting to strong-arm producers for lower shares due to their increasing size. Bollywood producers had to go on strike for getting 50% share only, multiplexes were going for even lower.

You own something doesn't mean you can commit wrongdoing. Just like you own the kids doesn't mean you should abuse them in the name of "your investment

I don't even know if that makes any sense.

Ultimately you get to report box office number to us because of theatrical experience  

Box office was reported before multiplexes started this arm-twisting.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah because that's their right, isn't it? The theatrical shares were around 60-70% before multiplexes. In fact in India they still do for single screens and South Indian films. The problem started with multiplexes starting to strong-arm producers for lower shares due to their increasing size. Bollywood producers had to go on strike for getting 50% share only, multiplexes were going for even lower.

You can't keep comparing two completely different markets. Idk about Bollywood producers but Hollywood producers aren't going on strikes over their share of a movie's gross and aren't the ones getting fucked over.

And they won't be reported when theaters are dead.

Edited by lorddemaxus

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah because that's their right, isn't it? The theatrical shares were around 60-70% before multiplexes. In fact in India they still do for single screens and South Indian films. For Indian films in USA this is also same (AMC-Regal 40-45%, Cinemark 50-55%, Individual chains 50-60%). Donno if Hollywood has same. The problem started with multiplexes starting to strong-arm producers for lower shares due to their increasing size. Bollywood producers had to go on strike for getting 50% share only, multiplexes were going for even lower.

I don't even know if that makes any sense.

How is that not making sense? If you have the kids and own the parental right to them, your treatment to them is still subject to prevailing laws and custom. You can't simply rape them or ask them to steal or snatch simply for your own benefit. 

That may sound extreme but the same principle applies, you invest in a film but ultimately the product is subject to existing culture or custom, which every film buff should swear to protect. Just like how every race protect their mother tongue  

• Knock It Off 1

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If you have the kids and own the parental right to them, your treatment to them is still subject to prevailing laws and custom. You can't simply rape them or ask them to steal or snatch simply for your own benefit. 

How is releasing the film on OTT or VOD equating to anything of that sorts?

Are all Netflix originals raped in metaphorical terms? or Disney raped Togo or their future Disney+ films/shows.

Cinema is just a platform. If OTT or VOD is better financially, I whole-heartedly supports that.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Cinema is just a platform. If OTT or VOD is better financially, I whole-heartedly supports that.

Again, I'm confused by why you care about producers so much. Do you have stock in a couple of movie studios or friends with a producer or something?

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

How is releasing the film on OTT or VOD equating to anything of that sorts?

Are all Netflix originals raped in metaphorical terms? or Disney raped Togo or their future Disney+ films/shows.

Cinema is not merely platform, it is the soul. VOD is alternative.   

The whole movie industry start off with silver screen and everything evolve from there.

Maybe you are not a film buff, you are just a capitalist.   

45 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The whole movie industry start off with silver screen and everything evolve from there.

Frankly, while there is still a genuine health risk to going to cinemas before this whole crisis is over - including vaccines - we shouldn't be so precious about the silver screen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Frankly, while there is still a genuine health risk to going to cinemas before this whole crisis is over - including vaccines - we shouldn't be so precious about the silver screen.

I was not referring to the pandemic measure, of course cinema has to be closed down in view of all these mess but the attitude towards the core value of movie industry should remain unfazed. 

You can invade privacy to trace the spreading of virus doesn't mean this should be done after the crisis.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Well it is. Soul, Body, blah blah. These are only words. Get a home theatre/big TV and proper sound system, films are coming your home.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

and Cinema chains are not capitalist?

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Well it is. Soul, Body, blah blah. These are only words. Get a home theatre/big TV and proper sound system, films are coming your home.

and Cinema chains are not capitalist?

Deny. Reject

Defend value at all cost. those aren't word, they are code

Of courses cinema are capitalist and they will support theatrical run because that work in favour of them but I don't care. In this case it just so happened their interest and my value are in line. I demand theatrical experience to be preserved.  Just like how we should preserve environment against greedy capitalist.  

Hope you have the dignity and gut to protect your Punjabi culture against something more so called convenient . 

46 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

just more biased toward distributors as they are the one's I mostly interacts.

But do you benefit if distributors benefit? I know for a fact that disributors and producers getting a larger % of the gross isn't going to make things better for the consumer (which matters more). Distributors and producers aren't the trodded over underdogs you make them seem like.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But do you benefit if distributors benefit? I know for a fact that disributors and producers getting a larger % of the gross isn't going to make things better for the consumer (which matters more). Distributors and producers aren't the trodded over underdogs you make them seem like.

Distributor/Producer making more money will increase their spending power on films.

Producer take risk when he invest money on the film, Exhibitor is a guy just showing that film. Him getting 30-40% of gross is more than enough especially when he has higher revenue from concessions & adverts.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Distributor/Producer making more money will increase their spending power on films.

Producer take risk when he invest money on the film, Exhibitor is a guy just showing that film. Him getting 30-40% of gross is more than enough especially when he has higher revenue from concessions & adverts.

Who cares about increased spending on films when cinema tickets are higher and quality is worse? It's not even a larger budget means a better movie.

And the exhibitor is taking a risk by showing one movie more than another. Producers also get millions from home video gross, TV and streaming deals, and merch sales (espescially family films),

You're literally advocating for something that doesn't benefit you because you feel bad for some millionaires. 

Besides I think Indian multiplexes are fucking worst, USA one seems nicer.

I don't know about USA but Indian multiplexes don't even Share 3D Glass charges with Distributor. Reason why Hollywood films other than Disney don't release in 3D in India.

And not just multiplexes even govt used to fuck industry in India. More in past than now though.

In 2003, at all India level, if a film was grossing ₹100, Govt got ₹43, Distributor ₹34 & Theatre ₹23. Some Theatre would charge maintenance charges of 2-5% which they didn't share with Distributor. Now it's 16:41:43 respectively.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You're literally advocating for something that doesn't benefit you because you feel bad for some millionaires

Both parties are millionaires.

Anyways, this is going way long than it should. My take is simple. From Producer POV, My money, My film. I release it in Theatre, VOD, OTT. My wish.

You don't wanna play on your theater, don't.

What was required, just like how NATO is screwing Universal, the Big 4s (Disney, WB, Uni and Sony) should have shown unity as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Both parties are millionaires.

But theaters getting more benefits the consumers too, producers and distributors getting more only benefits them.

18 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

the Big 4s (Disney, WB, Uni and Sony) should have shown unity as well.

Well, good thing they didn't.

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Give consumer the choice, where he wants to watch. Theater or Home. I am all in for simultaneous releases.

And that kills cinemas almost entirely and also decreases the revenue for the producers you care so much about. A day and date release won't happen. If consumers want to see a movie on VOD or streaming, they can wait for a couple of months. There's no benefit for consumers from a day and date release except for situations like the one we are in today. I'm really unsure why so many people on a boxoffice forum want cinemas to die.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1