Eric Duncan

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Let's be fair. If the producers wanna secure their investments and think they can get the audience by OTT or VOD, they should be free to do so. Exhibitors have no right whatsoever.

They always did and always been fully free to do so (even in France) most content of most studio never go into a theater, that was never put into question, if they want to use theater chain installation for there movies that where exhibitors have obvious right to negotiate in exchange for that service (money, window, etc....).

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Give consumer the choice, where he wants to watch. Theater or Home. I am all in for simultaneous releases.

This is  the most awfully disgusting statement that I ever seen today online or offline, especially coming from someone who earned reputation in BoT  thanks to his privilege access to box office number which even existed because people went to cinema. 

this kind of people are just like those people in those investment division in wall street, who created the whole financial crisis 2008 in the first place by thinking that was their investment and they got to do what they want and ultimately dragging the entire western civilization down by few notches, a pain that was still heartfelt today.    

No code, no commitment to tradition and identity. No honour to social contract . An ultimate betrayal to cinema.   

I am sorry dude, you will be on my ignored list.  The amount of respect to you vanished in a second    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm really unsure why so many people on a boxoffice forum want cinemas to die.

why are you surprised that people prefer the millionaire that gives you the choice to choose your own movie-going format over the one that chooses that format for you?

this cinema theater manager you're defending prevented me from seeing one of my favorite movies in theaters last year (Marriage Story). 

Universal wants people to be able to watch movies the way THEY want. and theaters are against that. 

if the only way for movie theaters to exist is if they have the 2-3 months gate-keeping exclusive window then maybe they're not as essential as they think they are.

I'd rather be given the choice to how to watch my movies my own, even if it meant never seeing a 100M+ movie get made ever again. 

lower budget movies are almost always better anyway 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Studios deserve way more than 50% of Net revenue.

Sometime they do and when they do they tend to get more (think major Disney release)

https://ir.cinemark.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/452/cinemark-holdings-inc-reports-fifth-consecutive-year-of

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1168696/000116869618000003/rgc201710k.htm

http://investor.amctheatres.com/FinancialHighlights?keyReport=591

But for the rest of them, do they ? It is based on what ? Do you find the margin (when they are not having a loss) too high ?

We went from studio should get way less than 50% of net revenues and accept Movie pass type of deals too they should get way more.

Take Regal in 2017:

They made 2,008.1 millions in ticket sales

They spent

Back to studio 1,067.8 millions

Rent: 426.8 million

Operating expense: 912 millions

They are on a massive loss  (without counting administrative expense, depreciation/amortization or the more and more costly operation) that they crawl back and make a profit with their concessions sales, but really not a big one.

Outside a good ticket sales-concessions boost (in price and/or admissions) there is not much room

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

why are you surprised that people prefer the millionaire that gives you the choice to choose your own movie-going format over the one that chooses that format for you?

this cinema theater manager you're defending prevented me from seeing one of my favorite movies in theaters last year (Marriage Story). 

Universal wants people to be able to watch movies the way THEY want. and theaters are against that. 

if the only way for movie theaters to exist is if they have the 2-3 months gate-keeping exclusive window then maybe they're not as essential as they think they are.

I'd rather be given the choice to how to watch my movies my own, even if it meant never seeing a 100M+ movie get made ever again. 

You can still choose the format you want. Just wait for 2-3 months. There's way more to lose in terms of consumer choice by closing down the 2-3 month gap. You're saying that you want choice but also say cinemas should die because they're not essential. Isn't that just restricting consumer choice then?

And Marriage Story didn't get a theatrical release because of Netflix, not exhibitors. 

I doubt many people would have been saying this same stuff a bit over a year ago when they were salivating over Endgame getting OW record and potentially becoming the highest grossing movie of all time.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I feel this is because of sampling, we hear about all the big budget movie made, we hear about the tiny elite, the best of the best among the small movie. 

In a given year the best movie have a lot of chance to be among the 10,000 of lower budget movie made in a year versus to be among the 50 big budget one, that could be true but that is really not because the average lower budget is almost always better anyway (i.e. big budget are almost never among the bottom 1,000 worst movie of a year), but bigger the budget better the movie is much more the correlation (same for run time) I suspect.

Look at the first 1,000 release 2019 release ranked in alphabetic order:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?title_type=feature&release_date=2019-01-01,2019-12-31&view=simple&sort=alpha,asc&count=250

Versus the 1,000 most expensive movie:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/all

Give me the group with all the Pixars, Blade Runner, the Nolans, the Scorsese, the Tarantino, the Ridley Scott, no need to hesitate imo.

23 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

That a way to paint the situation for people like you that do not leave in big city with small theater showing those kind of movies, theater manager did love to let me see Manchester by the Sea in a regular multiplex theater (that was powerful) and would have love to let you see Marriage story if Netflix would have give it a short window, it take 2 to dance, both are responsible.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not saying all cinemas must die. I am saying give consumer right where he wanna consume the film. Theatres shall not dictate producer to not release their film on any platform.

And of course that's gonna happen. In India, Jio which started data revolution with dirt cheap internet is going to start releasing movies simultaneously. How the system gonna work, financial aren't out yet, but that's the plan.

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

especially coming from someone who earned reputation in BoT  thanks to his privilege access to box office number which even existed because people went to cinema. 

Naah I will be fine, there will be Home Video tracking then. 

Besides, again not saying just ignore cinema altogether. Let there be both VoD & Cinema together. Let people choose. They wanna watch Avengers: Endgame in theatre, they got that. They wanna watch a subtitled Parasite at home, they got that.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

But do you benefit if distributors benefit? I know for a fact that disributors and producers getting a larger % of the gross isn't going to make things better for the consumer (which matters more). Distributors and producers aren't the trodded over underdogs you make them seem like.

Distributor/Producer is the person who make the film. 

Exhibitor is just the middle-man. Let the manufacturer be directly helped 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You can still choose the format you want. Just wait for 2-3 months. There's way more to lose in terms of consumer choice by closing down the 2-3 month gap. You're saying that you want choice but also say cinemas should die because they're not essential. Isn't that just restricting consumer choice then?

And Marriage Story didn't get a theatrical release because of Netflix, not exhibitors. 

I doubt many people would have been saying this same stuff a bit over a year ago when they were salivating over Endgame getting OW record and potentially becoming the highest grossing movie of all time.

I don’t think that would kill cinemas, we would just be seeing only blockbusters allowed to screen in theaters. Which is restrictive to the consumer as well but we can’t have it both ways so one would be sacrificed. 

if cinemas do die, it wouldn’t be the studio policies killing it. It would be the consumer’s decision to choose the alternative.

also Netflix wanted to respect their subscribers the same way theaters want studios to respect the theatrical window.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I don’t think that would kill cinemas, we would just be seeing only blockbusters allowed to screen in theaters. Which is restrictive to the consumer as well but we can’t have it both ways so one would be sacrificed. 

if cinemas do die, it wouldn’t be the studio policies killing it. It would be the consumer’s decision to choose the alternative.

also Netflix wanted to respect their subscribers the same way theaters want studios to respect the theatrical window.  

I also think that cutting down trees in national park will not have impact to environment.

Even if so,  it is a natural selection in working      

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

But theaters getting more benefits the consumers too, producers and distributors getting more only benefits them.

Well, good thing they didn't.

And that kills cinemas almost entirely and also decreases the revenue for the producers you care so much about. A day and date release won't happen. If consumers want to see a movie on VOD or streaming, they can wait for a couple of months. There's no benefit for consumers from a day and date release except for situations like the one we are in today. I'm really unsure why so many people on a boxoffice forum want cinemas to die.

Because turns out there aren't many cinephilia here in BoT, they are just fan boys. 

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I also think that cutting down trees in national park will not have impact to environment.

Even if so,  it is a natural selection in working      

You have given the worst metaphors today.

Since you want a metaphor for Environment, here's one for you.

There are two trees, you can water one now & water other 4 months later; or

You can water either or both now.

Not perfect, but that's what it is.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

I think I would be more pro-cinema if I was rich enough to be able to watch 15+ movies there a month instead of the 3-5/month I usually do (before they closed)

The sooner movies go to streaming is better for me because it’s just miles cheaper. A subscription to Netflix and the Criterion Channel is only 20$/month but it gives you access to hundreds of films and you get more value for your money if you like to watch more films.