Eric Duncan

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

maybe i should just say home media release 

Not sure to follow, how is home media release including tv-cable have an exclusive windows, Titanic play in theater all the time as well (and not only during a mediatised WW 3d re-release or anniversary release):

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/titanic-20th-anniversary-55690

But in general, like most popular movies do, I am not sure any post theatrical windows are set up in a way that make it impossible for theater to play them (except for Disney title), for example in 2020:

https://www.marcustheatres.com/movies/titanic

When fandango did let you see movie ticket sales on their platform, from what I remember Titanic/lord of the rings/Dark Knight/Die Hard/Gone With the Wind were very often playing somewhere in America, normally if you are in a big city you will have many occasion to see something like Parasite in theater in your lifetime (biggest city tend to have 75-100 different movie playing in any given day, most but not all are new release many are older one).

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure to follow, how is home media release including tv-cable have an exclusive windows, Titanic play in theater all the time as well (and not only during a mediatised WW 3d re-release or anniversary release):

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/titanic-20th-anniversary-55690

But in general, like most popular movies do, I am not sure any post theatrical windows are set up in a way that make it impossible for theater to play them (except for Disney title), for example in2020:

https://www.marcustheatres.com/movies/titanic

When fandango did let you see movie ticket sales on their platform, from what I remember Titanic/lord of the rings and other like that were pretty much always playing somewhere.

How is home media not including tv/cable, you see them at home, you can even tape them there.

Those are limited release and they were so limited it can be  negligible. Just like during theatercial window, there is always somewhere people can leak the version earlier than the supposed date. In that sense, I can also claim that we never really have actual exclusive window for theater.  

Secondly you have limited space in theater with much higher operating cost but you have bigger so much bigger space to grow sales in home media indefinitely . theater needs protection so much more than home media.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

How is home media not including tv/cable, you see them at home, you can even tape them there.

Explicitly say including to remove any possible confusion (because of the very popular term Home Entertainment that exclude it).

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Those are limited release and they were so limited it can be  negligible.

They are has limited has theater want them to be, they could do one on 5000 screens if they wanted. There is no, not in theater window put in place (except for Disney that tend to control their vault closely)

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

theater needs protection so much more than home media.

Theater need protection from Home media completely (and not much the other way around for sure), that why home media does not need a window when the movie cannot play in theater (and that do not tend to exist). 

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Edit: saw it was posted already heh.

Universal's definitely gonna be releasing another statement announcing no more VOD releases within the next few hours.

I wonder if WB will commit to releasing Scoob as a PVOD release?

Edited by Jonwo

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if WB will commit to releasing Scoob as a PVOD release?

Probably yeah, the chains haven't been angry with them since the announcement like they have been with Universal since they made the Trolls decision so I'm guessing WB made a nice deal with them so that families trapped in their homes for the foreseeable future could have a shiny new animated movie to watch.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably yeah, the chains haven't been angry with them since the announcement like they have been with Universal since they made the Trolls decision so I'm guessing WB made a nice deal with them so that families trapped in their homes for the foreseeable future could have a shiny new animated movie to watch.

Also because it seems like WB has been promising to exhibitors that Tenet will be the first big theatrical release after re-opening.

I'm with the theaters on this fight. Theatrical experience is still superior to me. I can't even imagine watching the MCU movies on TV first. Also important to note: the theaters' biggest ally on this fight is Disney, the strongest defender of the 90-day theatrical window among all the studios.

BTW, what was expectations from Trolls 2 theatrically. I don't think anyone was expecting $100mn. BOP was seeing it at $80mn, which is roughly $38-40mn of SHARE after spending atleast $10mn on Print and other distribution cost, not accounting marketing.

Internationally, may be 65% of the original i.e. $125mn Gross, giving $50mn SHARE after atleast $15mn Print & distribution Cost.

Giving Net Theatrical SHARE of $65mn Approx.

On VOD it is at $77mn SHARE. So did the move (COVID) worked?

Donno how it will be doing on physical units, first Trolls movie did $70mn per The-Numbers and overall $170mn by TV and Home Video worldwide, which seems low from $70mn number by The-Numbers.

Edited by charlie Jatinder