Eric Duncan

Star Wars: The Bad Batch | Disney+ | Final Season premieres February 21st!

Just saw that over at SW Leaks, but hadn't gotten around to commenting on it (was taking a bit of a break after my nightly count).

14 episode screener (basically everything but the finale) is a HELL of a departure for Marvel/SW Disney and "Hmmm" worthy in and of itself.  Very welcome change, mind.

Do realize that a great deal of this is up to the production team in question — see the difference between how Gilroy marketed things and how Favreau/Filoni did things.  But even with that said, this is a marketed departure.  Be curious to see if it matters in the end, or if TBB is just too small fry to really draw any conclusions.

• Like 5

Now that was a much better episode.  Great pacing and tension.   And some surprises. 

Spoiler

"We make our own choices and we have to live with them too."

That left a mark.  

Maybe not much of a mark, and it could still go a lot of different ways, but it def got under Crosshair's skin.

Don't expect all of these episodes to be like this, simply because the other storylines really don't lend themselves to it.  But if we get a fair few at this caliber I will be one happy bunny.

• Like 3

Got to admit, I was never a fan of the podracing in TPM (sorry prequel fams), so last week's episode left me somewhat cold.  Plus I was getting flashbacks to all of my disastrous attempts at podracing in LEGO Star Wars.  

But this one?

Oh yes. So so sooooo much My Jam.

Spoiler

Ancient Treasure?

Lost, Unknowable, Civilizations?

Indiana Jones Pastiche?

Ancient Weapon of Mass Destruction?

Sassy characterization?

Basically Weird Star Wars?!?

It's like this episode was written for me!!! :lol: 

Basically, any episode that reminds us that the Star Wars Galaxy is an Ancient place full of things that literally can't be explained, but only wondered at

Spoiler

or feared :ph34r:

is something that instantly gets my Seal of Approval. 👍

Can't give it 10/10 coz I really aught to reserve that for episodes like the ones a couple of weeks ago, but once again if the majority of this season is episodes like this one (in tone, temperament and Pure Style) I will be most pleased indeed. So let's say 9.25/10, and that's only coz I want to be a harsh grade for once.

Me likey.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

I somehow suspect that the overall fandom reaction to this Adventure of the Week story will be a bit more favorable than others this season. 

Just a feeling, mind. ;)

(I've heard that the majority of this season is Adventure of the Week so best get used to it and/or make peace with it now)

• Like 1

I really liked this episode. Visuals and music were standouts. 

Spoiler

I also think some of the dialogue and interactions at the end of the episode are finally giving us a hint at the overall direction for this season. Feels like we're going to eventually see the Bad Batch break off from Cid and start their own path. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2

Now that was some mighty fine Star Wars right there. 👍

Spoiler

I particularly liked the deft touch of the Absentee Emperor letting the Senate act on its own (or so they thought) only to step in at a critical moment.

also liked how he made it seem that he wasn't ordering the Senate at the end (even though everyone knew he was [more or less]) but still played into public (and Senate) approval.

Shows that he doesn't have complete control of things and has to dance the dance, even if he is indeed several steps ahead on the dance floor. 

• Like 5

Run of strong episodes continues.

Mind, I've always been a sucker for when SW channels its Western roots.  And while this might not be a pure Western pastiche, it's def in the same ballpark.

Some good (and needed) character development as well.  Intrigued to see how it this episode gets built on.

• Like 2

Loved that episode. As I mentioned in season 1, the relatively sparse character interactions are one of my gripes with the show, keeping it in the "pretty good" range rather than great. I really hope the "mission" episodes in the future are more like this. The visuals were absolutely outstanding in this episode (of course, this show usually is, but

Spoiler

the conversation between Tech and Omega was really stunningly animated. One of my favorite scenes the show has done so far. A great scene for Tech in particular, who has gotten a lot of improvement this season. 

The ending was also pretty intriguing. It definitely feels like the status quo with Cid is headed for a shakeup, and I think it's the right time for that. While I enjoyed some of the standalone episodes earlier in the season more than a lot of SW fans seemed to, the "doing missions for Cid" episode premise was starting to feel a little repetitive without at least some change or growth in the character dynamics. 

The score was also really fun, Kiner bros definitely had a good time with the Western references. 

Probably the most excited I've been for future TBB episodes. I really hope the show can build on this quality in future seasons. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2