Fake

Friday Numbers

Perhaps not the right thread for this, but I've narrowed my problems with the movie down to three categories-

1. From a technical standpoint, the movie was shit. Cinematography, editing, CGI, you name it, it was poorly done. I honestly don't think this is disputable. 78 million isn't a whole lot relative to most blockbusters today, but it's more than enough for forbid HG from the technical excuses which were disappointingly evident.

2. Pacing was off. I liked that the movie took its time in the Capitol, which was easily the movie's strongest segment, but the pace should have picked up by the time the Games actually started. It didn't, and the movie suffered because of it. I was bored a lot more in the second half than in the first (that's not a good thing).

3. Failed to really capture the intensity of the book, or work as an effective enough movie on its own. I didn't care about the fates of any characters, because (pretending I didn't read the book) I knew Katniss could get herself out of anything and I didn't know any of the other characters. It never felt as big or urgent as it should have, and yes, the lack of visual violence contributed to that. Rue's death was just another moment that should have elicited an emotional response from me and didn't.

But, as I've said, it entertains, it sets up Catching Fire well, and the performances are strong. So it gets a pass from me (just barely).

Biggest problem with a movie like this is how hamstrung they are to follow the book. In normal development, adaptations are always dictated by finding the sculpture within the stone. You cut characters and subplots, take poetic license, and build on the essence. Games pacing is off because there's so many scenes that don't need to be there.

In the perfect adaptation (which can't exist because of the commercial constraints), the tone is even darker, Panem benefits from a few extra budget bucks, the fight happens sooner, violence creates credible fear, and tension escalates because brutality is stark (not necessarily gory, but not just implied.) The setup is too long, the finish is too emasculated.

Lawrence is a major talent and she carries the movie beyond its flaws. Ross did fine, but he's on a tightrope trying to keep the movie from being too dark. Personally, I'm hoping the success of this film allows him to take more liberties going forward. The censors should be more forgiving, and hopefully audiences have bought in enough that they want more than just "seeing" the book.

• Like 1