Fake

Friday Numbers

With regard to Thor: it also got to enjoy the benefits of Memorial Day weekend and early summer weekdays (though not many of them). That effectively negates any help Spring Break offers THG (which is really minimal as Spring Break has no set dates and has already occurred or is occurring in some parts of the country). I'd be surprised if the pattern maintains for very long. I still think Deathly Hallows 1 is ultimately the best comparison.(But I've been wrong before.) :)

What is your basis for the comparison.

My feeling at this point is that it finishes in between TF3 and DH2, making it the second-biggest film in almost two years. That...is incredible.

Since we got the Monday numbers, I was hoping THG would stay above 8m through Thursday and do about 65m this weekend. I think it could finish around 375m. I like your range, but I hope THG finishes closer to DH2 than TF3.

With regard to Thor: it also got to enjoy the benefits of Memorial Day weekend and early summer weekdays (though not many of them). That effectively negates any help Spring Break offers THG (which is really minimal as Spring Break has no set dates and has already occurred or is occurring in some parts of the country). I'd be surprised if the pattern maintains for very long. I still think Deathly Hallows 1 is ultimately the best comparison.(But I've been wrong before.) :)

Why DH1?

Maybe because relative to its huge opening, its run has been quite average.

Its run has been great, it's just that I can't get excited for it much...especially when I think they could have done a better job with the film.

Its run has been great, it's just that I can't get excited for it much...especially when I think they could have done a better job with the film.

It could have been a lot worse though... I think an extended addition for this would really help though. They needed a few more "character development" scenes between Rue and Katniss and Peeta and Katniss. If they could include those, and get some image-stabalization software, the film would be near perfect.

I finally saw it last night. I liked it a lot, didn't love it. Most of my issues with it have to do with the movie it should have been versus the movie it had to be for commercial purposes. This really can't be helped so I give it a solid A for its ability to work within those limitations.

Perhaps not the right thread for this, but I've narrowed my problems with the movie down to three categories-

1. From a technical standpoint, the movie was shit. Cinematography, editing, CGI, you name it, it was poorly done. I honestly don't think this is disputable. 78 million isn't a whole lot relative to most blockbusters today, but it's more than enough for forbid HG from the technical excuses which were disappointingly evident.

2. Pacing was off. I liked that the movie took its time in the Capitol, which was easily the movie's strongest segment, but the pace should have picked up by the time the Games actually started. It didn't, and the movie suffered because of it. I was bored a lot more in the second half than in the first (that's not a good thing).

3. Failed to really capture the intensity of the book, or work as an effective enough movie on its own. I didn't care about the fates of any characters, because (pretending I didn't read the book) I knew Katniss could get herself out of anything and I didn't know any of the other characters. It never felt as big or urgent as it should have, and yes, the lack of visual violence contributed to that. Rue's death was just another moment that should have elicited an emotional response from me and didn't.

But, as I've said, it entertains, it sets up Catching Fire well, and the performances are strong. So it gets a pass from me (just barely).

Ah hell no

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/wrath-of-the-titans-opens-to-1m-midnights/

SATURDAY PM, 7TH UPDATE: It’s another huge weekend for the North American box office with $150M, or +25% from last year. But there’s dissension among my sources over just how big Lionsgate’s humongous holdover The Hunger Games will be this weekend despite two new major releases opening against it. Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures’ 3D action fantasy sequel Wrath Of The Titans and Relativity Media’s Snow White family fare Mirror Mirror both received ‘B+’ CinemaScores from audiences even if critics were at best lukewarm. Meanwhile, we now know how low Disney’s $200M writeoff John Carter will go: it will be lucky to reach $70M domestic. Starting its 4th weekend in release, this disaster is already discounted: it’s playing at Valley Plaza 6 in Van Nuys for $2 before 6 PM and $3 after.

1. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 2 [4,137 Theaters] PG13-Rated

Est Friday $18.8M (-72%), Est Saturday $30M, Est Weekend $69M, Est Cume $254M

2. Wrath Of The Titans 3D (Legendary/Warner) NEW [3,545 Theaters] PG13-Rated

Est Friday $12.4M, Est Saturday $12.7M, Est Weekend $37M

3. Mirror Mirror (Relativity) NEW [3,603 Theaters] PG-Rated

Est Friday $5.8M, Est Saturday $8.2M, Est Weekend $20.0M

4. 21 Jump Street (Sony) Week 3 [3,148 Theaters] R-rated

Est Friday $4.6M, Est Saturday $6.4M Est Weekend $15.0M, Est Cume $93.5M

5. Dr Seuss’ The Lorax 3D (Universal) Week 5 [3,264 Theaters] PG-rated

Est Friday $2.0M, Est Saturday $3.4M, Est Weekend $8.0M, Est Cume $190M

6. John Carter 3D (Disney) Week 4 [2,397 Theaters] PG13-rated

Est Friday $530K, Est Saturday $800K, Est Weekend $2.0M, Est Cume $66.2M