antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version | See the original movie in theaters on July 12

11 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Umm…”The Jungle Book (2016)”, anyone? That’s the one the critics considers to be THE best of the Disney remakes so far and an example of how the remakes should be. 🙆🏻‍♀️

And also….opinions. Everyone has an opinion of defending at least some of their favorites and one they like. Just because you don’t get why, doesn’t mean no one is ever or should be justifyingly allowed to like certain of the better Disney remakes. Nobody is dumb or not allowed to really like a Disney remake especially if it’s one of the better ones.

There are no facts that not a single of the remakes are/or should be any good or well-received when in actuality, the good ones are usually the top-tier Disney remakes.

jLarYG.gif 

Some nice to see some pro-Lion King opinion piece

I’m one of those guys who actually liked the 2019 remake, but also know it’s not anywhere close to the original in any shape or form. I’m also extremely biased to this franchise, since the Lion King (1994) is my favorite movie of all time, but I think the box office prospects of Mufasa: The Lion King are brighter than many people think.

I’ve seen a lot of people make predictions of a sub 500m WW gross, which I think is a little ridiculous. I’ve seen some use Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom as a good comp, which doesn’t make sense. The Lost Kingdom was the last death cry of the DCEU, and had at-best mixed word of mouth, but still grossed 434 million at the worldwide box office. Yes, still a bomb, but Christmas is a massive movie going time and movies, even terrible ones, can benefit. And the drop from the first Aquaman’s 1.15 billion dollar gross to the second’s 434 million in raw gross was 716 million. A massive drop, but for Mufasa, if it dropped in similar raw gross, 1.66 billion for the 2019 film, the gross for Mufasa would be 944 million, which would put it above Minions: The Rise of Gru (2022) and below the 968 million dollar gross of the original 1994 movie. 

I remain optimistic about Mufasa being an amazing, or at the very least, a competently made film, especially with Barry Jenkins at the helm. And I also think Sonic 3 and Mufasa can coexist at the box office. The Little Mermaid (2023), opened to 95 million 3-day and 118 million 4-day over Memorial Day Weekend, and ultimately grossed a solid 298 million domestic total. A 270 million international total is abysmal but there were a lot of factors that led to a weak international gross. The international gross for Mufasa should be higher than The Little Mermaid’s, substantially so. And with Christmas helping the domestic side of things, I can estimate a final total.

My early prediction for Mufasa: The Lion King, combined with Christmas and brand recognition being stronger than that of the Little Mermaid:

Opening Weekend: 80-90 million (or if it massively over performs Little Mermaid) possible 95-100 million, but I’m being a little pessimistic about opening weekend, but not sub 50 million pessimistic.

Domestic Total (assuming 4x legs similar to Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom): 320-360 million

International opening weekend: 150 million

Worldwide Opening Weekend: 240-250 million

International Total: 450-600 (depending on legs in certain markets)

Worldwide Total: 770-960 million

On 5/9/2024 at 2:52 PM, HummingLemon496 said:

The Lion King 2019 is the apex of "hated by the establishment, loved by the people." 

Or, if you want be cynical, it;s proof of P.T. Barnum's alleged saying "No one every went broke understimating the taste of the American Public".

I simply don't like ANY of the live actoin reamkes. None have any of the charm or energy of the originals.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 12:14 AM, dudalb said:

Or, if you want be cynical, it;s proof of P.T. Barnum's alleged saying "No one every went broke understimating the taste of the American Public".

I simply don't like ANY of the live actoin reamkes. None have any of the charm or energy of the originals.

And yet, you’re trying to force your opinion on those people, who DO like them, instead of just respecting them as just pure opinions. You may not like the remakes (which i respect if you don’t), but please don’t make it a fact that people are so dumb for liking them, duudie. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Views for this quite low on YouTube so far

I remember the teaser of the first one has one of the best views (probably behind Endgame only?)

Disney didn't release any press release on this one but they told trades how great IO2, Moana 2, Apes 4 did. 

Tbh trailer views similar to the Lion King remake would be insane. Like actually crazy. And that had massive hype. And also extremely unrealistic. This still might do really well at the box office despite trailer views. Something like Moana 2 has the streaming numbers for the original movie to keep it afloat. 

Posted (edited)

I guess this a classic is the glass half full or half empty situation.

Half full is it is prequel to a very popular classic movie, half empty is trying to do a follow up years later to a classic  movie is always risky.

Edited by dudalb

6 minutes ago, Eric Burnett said:

I already saw this in theaters last year, but I'm more than happy to do it again.

HELLLLLLLL YESSSSSS. I’m hoping to god that it’s a full re-release and not select theaters 

On 6/3/2024 at 12:54 AM, Mojoguy said:

Not much interest for this

The trailer for it I saw before "Inside Out 2" did not impress me at all.

it might be case of it is too much like the original; it brings nothing really new to the table.