cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

50 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

He saw your message

That’s a bad opening but whatever it was expected. Blue Beetle is obscure and DC as a brand is dead (outside of Batman). Still happy since it seems the film is good and I get a bunch of new BB stuff out of this 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

At least 25-30 is good compared to the terrible 10-15 predictions from a month ago. On the bright side this film's performance doesn't matter for the future of DC. If Superman Legacy bombs THEN they can start panicking

It might be time to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse 

Justice League director Zack Snyder steps down after daughter's suicide |  The Independent | The Independent

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

This was actually a hell of a lot of fun on rewatch. Bumping my score either half a star or a full star. Not sure if I’m just in a really good mood tonight or what, but this movie really worked.

Also I saw it for the second time in Vancouver (I’m not a huge DC guy who would watch a movie twice on opening day it was just happenstance that a buddy of mine ran a staff screening at the theater he manages, and then my dad wanted to go tonight). But my second time it was actually really cool, the audience was primarily Hispanic/Latino and they were all really really into the movie. Lots of reactions (laughs, tears, cheers, etc.) and being a part of that experience might have actually made the movie better for me.

• Like 7

This movie is not getting a China release. Both The Flash and Shazam 2 had a 45/55 split without China. It has a $104M budget so it needs $260M to break even. If it has the same 45/55 split, then it needs $117M domestic to break even. This would basically need the legs of a Pixar original to breakeven. Sorry but unless the marketing budget is miraculously low I straight up do not see how this breaks even. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

A Cinemascore seems realistic at this point, it certainly won't get worse than A-. Could be the best CS for a DC film since Wonder Woman. If not, then it will match Aquaman and Batman. Certainly seems in good company. Hope it can try for $100m dom, but weeks 2 and 3 are very important.

4 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

A Cinemascore seems realistic at this point, it certainly won't get worse than A-. Could be the best CS for a DC film since Wonder Woman. If not, then it will match Aquaman and Batman. Certainly seems in good company. Hope it can try for $100m dom, but weeks 2 and 3 are very important.

The first Shazam got an A. Since then though, every DC movie received a B+, with the exception of The Batman (A-) and The Flash (B). 

Edit: Oh, and I guess Super Pets also got an A-, if you want to count that. 

Edited by WittyUsername

I think people need to not lose their shit over this OW and wait for legs. I don’t give af about DC (or marvel, or superhero movies in general), so I like to think I’m looking at it somewhat neutrally, and this movie is all about somewhat restoring goodwill for DC until the one that really matters (Superman).

If this can have good WOM and decent legs (and a good life in streaming as a result), it will have done its job

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The first Shazam got an A. Since then though, every DC movie received a B+, with the exception of The Batman (A-) and The Flash (B). 

Edit: Oh, and I guess Super Pets also got an A-, if you want to count that. 

Oh yes, forgot about Shazam getting an A. Well, there's been a few films since then so that's also impressive.

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

Superpets (an animated kids film with positive reception) had 4.07x legs. That is the absolute max Blue Beetle can do. Now that I think of it Superpets seems like a pretty good comparison

You have a whole genre to pick from (with pretty much nothing even getting near 4x) for comparisons but somehow you figured a kid-targeted animated film is a better comparison?

Edited by JustLurking

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

You have a whole genre to pick from (with pretty much nothing even getting near 4x) for comparisons but somehow you figured a kid-targeted animated film is a better comparison?

Yeah realistically there's like a 1% chance this touches 4x legs, animated kids films automatically have better legs than live action films. I'm just deciding to be ultra ultra generous. Basically what I'm saying is that even in the case where this has abnormally good legs, it still isn't gonna break even.

Edited by HummingLemon

So basically we’re looking at a 23-30M weekend based on preview numbers with a domestic finish of around 46-90M depending on where it opens and how good the legs are? International 60-140M for a finish of around 106-230M (bad legs vs great legs and no China). I’m really rooting for this film, but it ain’t looking good sadly