Eric the Marxist

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:
  Hide contents

i was confused as he seemed intensely loyal to his family

Spoiler

He is, but Aegon is the exception: Aemond was bullied by Aegon since early childhood and is still bullied by him to this day (last episode the brothel scene showed that). So Aemond probably thought: "Man woudnt it be great if Aegon maybe dies in an ACCIDENT here so im rid of him and also, im King since im next in line to the throne!"

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I’ve not seen the episode yet, so I guess I only have myself to blame for daring to go on the internet, but spoilers for this have been absolutely impossible to avoid today, literally minutes after the episode aired in the US some of the trades were posting full on spoilers, and people on social media are freely posting pictures without any consideration for anyone who isn’t American or people who wanted to stay up until 3am on a work night…the selfishness is off the scale with some people.

Again, I fully accept it’s my own fault that I’ve had things spoiled, but it’s still annoying how people just openly blast massive plot moments everywhere for engagement.

Edited by SnokesLegs

4 hours ago, Torontofan said:
  Hide contents

i was confused as he seemed intensely loyal to his family

Spoiler

It has been kind of sewed through Season 1 and so far in Season 2 that Aegon is a bully toward Aemond. There is some inter-family fighting on the Greens side. 

4 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Excellent episode, just wish I’d seen it before being spoiled, but lesson learned I guess: Stay off the internet on Mondays for the next few weeks!

Im literally staying awake every Monday night til 4 am to watch the new episodes asap lol

• Like 1

This series is just a copycat of GOT with way worse writing.

For a season was fun to like re live the experience of GOT but now i don't know if i want to see other 5 seasons of this stuff again.

I hope the next spin off tries something different. 

• Haha 1

Good set-up episode. I really appreciate that they take their time with the character interactions and the worldbuilding more. Thats exactly where Seasons 7-8 of GoT failed massively and they do a much better job here.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Good set-up episode. I really appreciate that they take their time with the character interactions and the worldbuilding more. Thats exactly where Seasons 7-8 of GoT failed massively and they do a much better job here.

It's a shame this is only an 8 episode season, since they're clearly laying a lot of groundwork carefully so I hope we don't get an overly rushed coming together in the finale because of time constraints.

I wonder what off screen Otto thinks about what's been going on in the Crownlands.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

It's a shame this is only an 8 episode season, since they're clearly laying a lot of groundwork carefully so I hope we don't get an overly rushed coming together in the finale because of time constraints.

I wonder what off screen Otto thinks about what's been going on in the Crownlands.

Wasn't Season 3 announced? I think they're definitely taking their time here this season IMO.

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Wasn't Season 3 announced? I think they're definitely taking their time here this season IMO.

Yes it was greenlit but I find in general 8 episode seasons handicap storytelling ability because most shows don't know how to effectively structure a story over that number of installments 

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Yes it was greenlit but I find in general 8 episode seasons handicap storytelling ability because most shows don't know how to effectively structure a story over that number of installments 

I understand, but so far, I've been enjoying the pace. I'm curious if you've seen Sharp Objects. 6 episodes, but beautifully done. 

On 7/15/2024 at 8:20 PM, 4815162342 said:

Speaking of Ye Olde Westerosi Stage Father, was anyone cast as Lady Tyrell? That can be just one scene but it's Actress in a Guest Appearance award worthy the way she dresses down Otto. Others have been nominated for way less (Claire Foy for The Crown S5 👀)

35 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Speaking of Ye Olde Westerosi Stage Father, was anyone cast as Lady Tyrell? That can be just one scene but it's Actress in a Guest Appearance award worthy the way she dresses down Otto. Others have been nominated for way less (Claire Foy for The Crown S5 👀)

Haven't heard any news but given how long he's been off screen and how we did have Alicent's third son Daeron (the only one who is normal which naturally is why he barely gets any time in Fire and Blood lol) mentioned in the season premiere as being with the Hightowers in Oldtown I wouldn't be surprised if the penultimate episode (since next week seems to be heavily about the Dragon Rider Recruitment Scheme) leans heavily on All Things The Reach with Hightowers and Tyrells and more)

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Haven't heard any news but given how long he's been off screen and how we did have Alicent's third son Daeron (the only one who is normal which naturally is why he barely gets any time in Fire and Blood lol) mentioned in the season premiere as being with the Hightowers in Oldtown I wouldn't be surprised if the penultimate episode (since next week seems to be heavily about the Dragon Rider Recruitment Scheme) leans heavily on All Things The Reach with Hightowers and Tyrells and more)

The show randomly deciding it wants to include Daeron after all is the funniest shit ever

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The show randomly deciding it wants to include Daeron after all is the funniest shit ever

Yeah. To me you either cut him out entirely or you beef him up into a more full character. Fire & Blood mentions briefly that Viserys had him and Jace wet nursed together to try and bond them as brothers. Obviously it'd be a deviation from the text but having that plan work and have them actually be close but then their friendship ended by the civil war could have mined some good drama if you're willing to continue deviating from the text to lean into that angle.

Edited by 4815162342

Tonight was a lot slower paced than I thought it would be. I feel like there's no way they hit a certain milestone in the finale unless they really, really accelerate the pace in the final 2 episodes.

I imagine a decent amount of discourse will be about an interaction between 2 characters at the end of the episode, but the thing that is interesting to me

Spoiler

Is the show possibly hinting that they will replace Nettles from Fire & Blood with Rhaena, given the hint that Sheepstealer from F&B is hanging out in the Vale instead of Dragonstone. The Nettles stuff in F&B kinda didn't work for me, so if that is the direction the show may end up going, that's fine with me because Rhaena kinda just exists in F&B.