Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (5/14-16)

https://www.the-numbers.com/daily-box-office-chart

Movie Distr Gross %YD %LW Thr Per
Thr
Total
Gross
D
- (-) Raya and the Last Dragon Walt Disney $395,000 +189% -6% 2,285 $173 $44,800,814 71
- N Profile Focus Features $260,000     2,033 $128 $260,000 1
- (-) Nobody Universal $100,000 +60% -55% 1,553 $64 $25,001,025 50
- (-) The Croods: A New Age Universal $38,000 +286% -18% 1,097 $35 $57,886,510 171
- (-) Limbo Focus Features $3,000 -36% -81% 71 $42 $203,705 15

5   $796,000          

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, I guess it's kinda dissapointing. But it's not even gonna be the biggest dissapointment of the weekend.

But what else is releasing this weekend aside from some limited release?

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, I guess it's kinda dissapointing. But it's not even gonna be the biggest dissapointment of the weekend.

Those who Wish me Dead numbers ....:stretcher:

Edited by Maggie

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Those who wish me dead numbers ....:stretcher:

AJ firefighter movie is coming out this weekend? I saw some tracking in the buzz thread but they were too low and it tricks me into thinking that the film is for next week. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

AJ firefighter movie is coming out this weekend? I saw some tracking in the buzz thread but they were too low and it tricks me into thinking that the film is for next week. 

Yeah, i think it has a chance to miss 3M...it could go even way lower

Edited by Maggie

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Is this the first true disappointment during this pandemic era? Poor Lionsgate. Never had their true moment even if they tried to create one, taking the advantage when all major studio choose to runaway.  

No.  With $20M budget and Samuel L. Jackson, the box office result is enough for this film to make profit.

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This weekend doesn't bode well for future releases. People are still skeptical about going back to the theaters. I'm starting to think i was generous with 150M for Black Widow club

Maybe they need some headline number like the number of cases and death fall to record low to make them feel safe about the communal activities. Also, studio's marketing has been very low profile , that probably kill a lot of buzz itself. 

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This weekend doesn't bode well for future releases. People are still skeptical about going back to the theaters. I'm starting to think i was generous with 150M for Black Widow club

This isn’t a covid issue so much as a product issue. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Even so, Black Widow hype is gone. I don't know what Disney could do to get people interested in it again. Similar to A Quiet Place II, they released the majority of the material, there's not gonna be red carpet and promo will be restricted by the pandemic. It's honestly sad

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, WandaLegion said:

Yeah,this is like what, the third reboot this franchise had? Actually,every new sequel feels like a reboot with them restructuring the plot of the previous movies every time...Also reviews are not even good to justify an respark for the IP.

• Like 1

Yikes that is bad for Spiral if true. Does that 3.7M for Spiral include Thursday previews? I'm hoping not, that would help at least a little bit for Spiral if that's the case. I'm guessing Lionsgate is probably rethinking their plans for Saw X at the moment. I'm guessing they thought for sure this would make around 15M opening weekend.

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I've heard this talked about before on the Telegram chat, but I think a major issue plaguing theaters is less skepticism on safety and more on that people just don't want to go to the movies. People are sick of getting cooped up all year and want to do fun outdoors stuff and big vacations. Going indoors into a dark room for two hours isn't what people want to do, and streaming already has given them their entertainment fix.

I could be wrong here and I know the usual suspects will give me a "haha" reaction and act as if everything will be totally fine, but I can really see this summer being a rough one just because of cabin fever. Maybe the winter holidays will be better because of the colder weather? I dunno, it's hard to be optimistic about anything these days.

• Like 3

Just now, Maggie said:

Even so, Black Widow hype is gone. I don't know what Disney can do to get people interested in it again. Similar to A Quiet Place II, they released the majority of the material, there's not gonna be red carpet and promo will be restricted by the pandemic. It's honestly sad

BW is still hopeful. It is after all, a marvel movie, with one of the most popular character in the entire line up in the center of the film. As for AQP2., yes....it feel like Paramount is pretty much giving up its buzz building beside from random reminder trailer. The last marketing tool they have the reviews release. If that is very positive,  that might reverse the trend. Paramount spent 60% of their marketing budget before the postponement, let's hope they use that last 40% wisely.  

• Like 2