CJohn

Wednesday Numbers: Titanic 4.75 THG 4.6

Get what you're saying Shawn but somehow it feels different.It's like the same arguments are being used for a lower number. Sure, they can be used but the difference between getting to $150m from a $30m 5 day and a $50m 5 day is huge. This is an example, I'm not sure what the predictions were.To make it clearer, it's like saying don't worry, though Avengers only opened to $80m it will still finish with $400m even though most predictions started off with $140m to get to that $400m mark.

It's not the same thing at all. Look, did anyone really think the Wednesday would be 10 mill and the 5 day would be 50? I sure didn't. And I still think this will do north of 100 mill.

• Founder / Operator

Get what you're saying Shawn but somehow it feels different.It's like the same arguments are being used for a lower number. Sure, they can be used but the difference between getting to $150m from a $30m 5 day and a $50m 5 day is huge. This is an example, I'm not sure what the predictions were.To make it clearer, it's like saying don't worry, though Avengers only opened to $80m it will still finish with $400m even though most predictions started off with $140m to get to that $400m mark.

But Avengers is a new release opening on a Friday whose marketing makes the date very clear, and it has a huge fan base that makes a big opening more expected. Titanic is the total opposite of that.Again, I think the "disappointment" is coming from simply from unrealistic expectations of fans. A stronger comparison would be if Hunger Games had opened to "only" $80-90 million. Yes, it would have disappointed those predicting big numbers....but it still would have been one of the best franchise-openers in history and made back its budget within three days from North America alone. That latter comparison is exactly what will happen with Titanic 3D, too.I'm simply saying...wait until the weekend. Let's not start counting the chickens before the eggs have hatched. :) Edited by ShawnMR

It's not going to fall near that much today, if at all.. Remember, tomorrow is Good Friday.

Yes, and if you go by last year, there should be some increases today. I'm not sure if Titanic will increase, but it won't fall 40-50%.http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2011-04-21&track=rango.htm

Utterly ridiculous that some are thinking this is a disappointment. First, it wasn't advertised for Wednesday and the amount of showings were very limited (no more than 3, here). It's the same thing today. Second, it's a three hour film, the vast vast vast majority are going to see this on the weekend and guess what? There will be an enormous increase in the amount of showings.It's doing well right now, and it will do even better over the weekend.

It's not the same thing at all. Look, did anyone really think the Wednesday would be 10 mill and the 5 day would be 50? I sure didn't. And I still think this will do north of 100 mill.

Tracking, especially from boxoffice.com gave indication for some pretty big numbers.

It gets worse and worse for Titanic. Paramount wasted 200m on this movie and it might get to 75m domestic. Move over, John Carter, there's a new bomb in town.

:) :) :)

Tracking, especially from boxoffice.com gave indication for some pretty big numbers.

For which days? I don't think anyone had it opening that well on the Wednesday.