Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

If Dungeons and Dragons, which had a comparable budget to most Marvel movies, were pulling in 400-500 as the floor, not a single person would be claiming it's a failure. I don't see how Quantumania is a bomb but Shang-Chi isn't other than some vague bullshit about "it's about hype bro"

Because it’s a new franchise entry and not a sequel. You answered your own question.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

"MCU IN TROUBLE" post number eight billion. Like seriously weve been hearing about how superhero fatigue was just about to happen for years and years. People were calling Love and Thunder a bomb with 750 million plus. Not everything is going to be Endgame guys.

I swear some posters love declaring that Disney and Marvel are dying when there's no evidence of it. 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I swear some posters love declaring that Disney and Marvel are dying when there's no evidence of it. 

There isn't a post in this thread recently claiming marvel is "dying", just discussing why the 3rd gotg movie has such poor presales relative to other mcu releases and one of those reasons is people being burned by mediocrity of recent product

if it does 155/403 then its one of the craziest comeback for a MCU sequel after such a meh start and especially that legs without holiday boost is expecting too much. I cant see it do more than 2.3x.  

At this point I can see it miss 100m OW rather than hitting 155mOW. Let us see where things stand in 2 weeks.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

On 4/4/2023 at 2:08 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

GREATER ORLANDO REGION 

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3

THURSDAY PREVIEWS

*First 24 hours

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

12.0%

SEATS SOLD SINCE   12 HOUR CHECK

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE 12 HOUR CHECK

*Note 

Mario will probably have 9k tickets sold by T-0 so lets see if GOTG can match that by T-7

Not bad, Not great. These numbers are disappointing if you were expecting Wakanda Forever numbers (lol me :) )

I would say around Thor 4 ($144M) is a realistic target as of rn

GREATER ORLANDO REGION 

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3

THURSDAY PREVIEWS

T-24

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

14.4%

SEATS SOLD IN THE LAST WEEK

SHOWINGS ADDED IN THE LAST WEEK

Spoiler alert 

Spoiler

This is not good at all

It couldn't even sell 1k tickets in the past week (for reference Mario was selling 2-3k tickets per a week)

The initial rush was fine, but now this is pacing more like John Wick than a mega blockbuster that Guardians is supposed to be. 

Let's see how this week goes and see if Mario was affecting it at all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

marvel lost it's good will among gen audience nd even some fans ! + mario storm isn't helping them either ! so wom nd reviews r super important for this movie it's good or ok reviews won't work this time they need no way home kind of wom mouth to cross 350m$ domestic ! btw anything below first guardians movie is a disaster reception for marvel nd disney ! 

45 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

At this point I can see it miss 100m OW rather than hitting 155mOW. Let us see where things stand in 2 weeks.  

I still think the worst case scenario is that it just passes 100M, but in the event it goes under….the discourse is gonna be SPICY.

i don't think below 100m is possible simply cause i expect a solid at worst movie but sub 150m seems very likely unless this gets some incredible reviews like BP, Shang-Chi level

Edited by GOGODanca

22 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 3

MTC1 Wed - 3202/17472 148425.00 58 shows

MTC1 Thursday - 84396/1147486 1520250.58 7013 shows +1934

MTC1 Friday - 42287/1269091 784270.39 6872 shows +1407

I hope this is the steady state pace and does not slow down any more.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 3

MTC1 Wed - 3291/17472 152550.00 58 shows

MTC1 Thursday - 85458/1139416 1537595.20 6981 shows +1062

MTC1 Friday - 43683/1265855 808565.59 6854 shows +1396

Sunday's sales normally suck but these are levels I have not see for past 4 MCU sequels. Let us see if it recovers on Monday. 

Britney Spears GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 4
  • Sad 2

This past Saturday, April 8, Cinemark recorded its highest single-day attendance since Christmas Day 2019, primarily on the strength of Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie.

Industry-wide, Mario earned an estimated $56.8M domestically on Saturday, the highest-grossing of its five days in release to date.

That marks the #16-biggest Saturday of all time, between 2022’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ($57.8M) and 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($56.7M).

Industry-wide, the overall box office earned an estimated $79.9M on Saturday. Christmas Day 2019 earned just shy of that, with $78.6M, primarily on the strength of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Industry-wide, however, several post-pandemic days had exceeded this past Saturday. Those included both the opening Friday and Saturday for Spider-Man: No Way Home, plus the opening Fridays for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of MadnessThor: Love and Thunder, and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

• Like 3

This news is especially for @AMC Theaters Enjoyer

Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie helped deliver AMC Theatres its #3 domestic weekend since the pandemic, while this past Saturday (April 😎 was its single best post-pandemic day.

According to the company, it was also their highest-grossing Easter weekend ever, while AMC’s collectable Mario popcorn tin sold out faster than any collectable item previously offered by AMC.

Industry-wide, Mario earned the #30 domestic opening weekend of all time ($146.3M), while its Saturday was the #16 Saturday of all time ($56.8M).

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

21 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie helped deliver AMC Theatres its #3 domestic weekend since the pandemic, while this past Saturday (April 😎 was its single best post-pandemic day.

According to the company, it was also their highest-grossing Easter weekend ever, while AMC’s collectable Mario popcorn tin sold out faster than any collectable item previously offered by AMC.

Industry-wide, Mario earned the #30 domestic opening weekend of all time ($146.3M), while its Saturday was the #16 Saturday of all time ($56.8M).

*Supes voice* LET’S GOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I am finding it hard to believe that Mario saturday was bigger than No Way Home saturday. That is impossible based on the data we have.