EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (Jan 28-30)

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The later, and the communist government forces theaters to show and promote propaganda films. Attendance has been "encouraged" to all the their citizens as well.  

It isn't an accident you suddenly have propaganda films smashing records.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/china-communist-party-100th-anniversary-propaganda-1234943360/

Didnt America do this with Passion of the Christ?

The irony here is hollywood is full of propaganda movies so why can't china have them too? How many global disaster movies end with America saving the day with long shots of the US flag? I heard the army allow filmmakers like Michael Bay to use all the military equipment they have as long as it makes the US army seem strong and powerful. Propaganda is visible in most countries that produce movies

• Like 10
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

I still find it astonishing and morbidly impressive how China being so huge has managed to control and censor the internet to such an unbelievable extent. Nowhere else in the world is YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and fucking Google banned altogether.

Governments around the world censor, but in the vast majority, if a person were to find out the truth, they could easily do so. In China, it is just so insanely difficult. I'm genuinely curious to see how their surveillance and security apparatus work. 

I hope the "communist" regime falls and ushers in at least new personal freedoms and more free elections. I've always been fascinated by how the Chinese population would react knowing that the history of their country was deeply lied about and on such a massive scale.

Finally a reasonable comment, I've finished all the reactions for today so I just give youa thumbs up 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Actually let's keep that thread clean 👀

I meant the China BO section rather than the China BO thread in particular. I dont know if a thread about BO manipulations exist in that section but if there isn't, one can create it if they wish to discuss this topic further. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Moderation: Please take this discussion to its appropriate thread in the China BO section and keep discussions in this thread related to the weekend box office.

I just saw this, but the thread is dead this week anyways and there really isn't any place to discuss a lot of this.  

41 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I just saw this, but the thread is dead this week anyways and there really isn't any place to discuss a lot of this.  

It doesn't matter if a thread is dead or not. If a mod tells people to stop, you listen and respect their wishes.

And if you absolutely have to talk about China's supposed manipulation and want to argue with folks about it, you can just make your own new thread. We have a whole subforum dedicated to Chinese box office. If you want, you can make your own thread there and argue with people in that section to your heart's content. It's totally fine.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/73-china-at-the-box-office/

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Licorice Pizza had a huge drop with actual VS what was estimated over the weekend (almost 10% different). Everything else was fairly close and surprisingly, King’s Daughter is the only one that actually went up from estimates lol

It's fine. These drops aren't as bad as EmpireCity alluded to. Most of its Sunday estimates have been off for whatever reason in the last month. Maybe the audience is hurt by the football games, I don't know. Either way it's only down 5% from last weekend and the over $800 theater average still puts it top 5.