EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (Jan 28-30)

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That absolutely isn't true, Charlie.  

As far as the China box office, it's heavily manipulated.  Just because you can see the manipulation in real time means nothing.  

https://deadline.com/2017/10/china-box-office-fraud-hollywood-studio-losses-mpaa-audit-1202181178/

A report by the Wall Street Journal today says PricewaterhouseCoopers has found ticket sales were under-reported in 2016 by about 9%. Citing people familiar with the matter, the paper said auditors uncovered irregularities such as revenue listed as concession rather than ticket sales, non-reported screenings and incorrect audience sizes.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Not gonna derail the thread any further after this, because it isn't the place for it but....

The funny thing about China is it's highest attended film (Wolf Warrior 2 at ~160M) is only about 12% of the Chinese population. Compare that to the top films domestically in the last decade (TFA @ 22%) and there is still a ton of room in the Chinese market. The main issue from what I can tell is a lack of screens VS population. I believe they're trying to get to 100K screens by 2025? 

I think by the end of the decade, China will have a film that does at least 250M admits. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

China being world's biggest market was done in mid 2010s. The only thing was tickets were cheap & ER was falling. Which is being taken care now as ATP for event films reach $9.25 & ER is improving.

$1B in a single market isn't even really that big deal. The question is when China delivers $1.5B film, as in spirit they have done with WW2 having 160M admits.

And I wish Chinese govt give as many fucks as Western media report they do about box office. Visit China thread often to know about things.

WW2 is exactly one of the examples I am talking about.  It went from like $80m for the first to $867m for the sequel and under very suspicious circumstances.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

https://deadline.com/2017/10/china-box-office-fraud-hollywood-studio-losses-mpaa-audit-1202181178/

A report by the Wall Street Journal today says PricewaterhouseCoopers has found ticket sales were under-reported in 2016 by about 9%. Citing people familiar with the matter, the paper said auditors uncovered irregularities such as revenue listed as concession rather than ticket sales, non-reported screenings and incorrect audience sizes.

China is built on a house of cards fueled by rampant manipulation across all segments.  

Just passing along what I know people a lot higher up on the food chain seem to know, and that is the Chinese government is heavily involved in the China box office and driving and manipulating the grosses for their domestic propaganda films.  

The larger point is, as always, fuck the communist Chinese government.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

WW2 is exactly one of the examples I am talking about.  It went from like $80m for the first to $867m for the sequel and under very suspicious circumstances.  

Fast and Furious went from ¥251M for 5th one to ¥2.5B to 7th one. what's the point here?

Heck an Indian film had 45M admits in same year in China just on basis of strong WOM. I don't think US can give 25% of that to any foreign film they know nothing of. The market is that big.

Parasite with Oscar buzz did only $50M.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Fast and Furious went from ¥251M for 5th one to ¥2.5B to 7th one. what's the point here?

Heck an Indian film had 45M admits in same year in China just on basis of strong WOM. I don't think US can give 25% of that to any foreign film they know nothing of. The market is that big.

Parasite with Oscar buzz did only $50M.

The point, as I have mentioned multiple times, is that the communist Chinese government manipulates their domestic box office to push their domestic product and especially domestic propaganda films.  

They are a corrupt and terrible government and trusting any numbers that come out of there is a fools errand.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The point, as I have mentioned multiple times, is that the communist Chinese government manipulates their domestic box office to push their domestic product and especially domestic propaganda films.  

They are a corrupt and terrible government and trusting any numbers that come out of there is a fools errand.  

What's the level of "manipulation" that you think happens? Like 3-5% or 20-30%? 

Idk, I mean 130M people out of 1.4B seeing a nationalistic film in a highly nationalistic country doesn't seem that hard to believe. I'm not sure why it would need manipulation. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Felandria said:

So, who had The King’s Daughter somehow having a better hold than Redeeming Love?

I'm not surprised Redeeming Love had a meh hold-it's adapted from a romance novel (OW fan rush) and the content is a bit edgy for the typical Christian movie audience (it's based on a Bible story that deals with prostitution). The King's Daughter not totally tanking in Week 2 shows just how empty theaters are right now.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

What's the level of "manipulation" that you think happens? Like 3-5% or 20-30%? 

Idk, I mean 130M people out of 1.4B seeing a nationalistic film in a highly nationalistic country doesn't seem that hard to believe. I'm not sure why it would need manipulation. 

The later, and the communist government forces theaters to show and promote propaganda films. Attendance has been "encouraged" to all the their citizens as well.  

It isn't an accident you suddenly have propaganda films smashing records.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/china-communist-party-100th-anniversary-propaganda-1234943360/

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It hammered home the seriousness of this mission, stating that all film entities must “attach great importance [to the screenings], execute them in earnestness… painstakingly organize them and ensure tangible results.”

Cinemas must guarantee not only that these films are programmed but that their screenings are well-attended.

The new directive calls on all distribution firms, cinemas and departments involved in screening activities to promote the films via preferential scheduling slots, “preferential ticket prices and other methods.” Local authorities should also “broadly organize and mobilize party members, cadres and viewers to actively participate” in screenings so as to “enhance their social impact.”

• Like 1

I still find it astonishing and morbidly impressive how China being so huge has managed to control and censor the internet to such an unbelievable extent. Nowhere else in the world is YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and fucking Google banned altogether.

Governments around the world censor, but in the vast majority, if a person were to find out the truth, they could easily do so. In China, it is just so insanely difficult. I'm genuinely curious to see how their surveillance and security apparatus work. 

I hope the "communist" regime falls and ushers in at least new personal freedoms and more free elections. I've always been fascinated by how the Chinese population would react knowing that the history of their country was deeply lied about and on such a massive scale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Don't forget that those China numbers are bullshit and inflated by the communist government.  

Cough. His numbers aren't inflated at all. If you use Entgroup Weekly Data for USD value, then you will be shocked to see that TBALC made $961.7M in single market defeating SW:TFA ($936.7M). Just do not get obessed with the fact. I do not know what you get by called such numbers as bullshit because we are getting our 1st $1.0B in 2022 Lunar New Year.

As for the Hollywood, (especially Endgame), it's still the biggest OS Market (Almost equivalent to Europe). If Numbers are bullshit then WOM &all those hollywood earnings are manipulated. Do not print such types of jokes. Look even Avatar (re-release) &Soul (low opening) still earn a lot more than expectation.

WOM in China is the only problem in Box Office that breaks works so early that no film after poor rating can cross 2x multiplier. Ratings here are too strong (even more than Cinemascore, RT, Meta). It's just amazing also sad at the same time that WOM can tear multiple expectation (even if you had a low opening)

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Thanks 1