filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Let face it. Unlike in 2018, Oscar rating was still in high 20m range when they first propose category cut. This round was different, last year rating was merely 10m. This has severely diminish AMPAS leverage against ABC and allow ABC to have harsher stance on what it want. Whoever think that movie theatre is just a platform can go and fuck themselves. Last year rating clearly show that without major cinema going , Oscar was totally eventless.  Last year Oscar was also the least talked about batch that I ever remember despite many saying streaming can easily replace all drama fare

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Let face it. Unlike in 2018, Oscar rating was still in high 20m range when they first propose category cut. This round was different, last year rating was merely 10m. This has severely diminish AMPAS leverage against ABC and allow ABC to have harsher stance on what it want. Whoever think that movie theatre is just a platform can go and fuck themselves. Last year rating clearly show that without major cinema going , Oscar was totally eventless.  Last year Oscar was also the least talked about batch that I ever remember despite many saying streaming can easily replace all drama fare

The SAG Award ratings went up about 100 percent this year without them changing anything from their pre-pandemic format. I never expected such a big spike for this year's Oscars, but a natural improvement because there is more engagement with the movies this year. The ceremonies are more of a normal spectacle vs a glorified Zoom session. That was before they were hell-bent on chasing an audience that no longer exists, but the ratings will still probably increase. I also think the show will go over 3 hours anyway, their time management sucks.

AMPAS has gotten spoiled with getting most of income from the ceremony and ABC has had the contract for too long to approach the show in a truly fresh way without being desperate about it. A shame all around...

More presenters:

Anthony Hopkins, so hopefully the Academy’s ignoring the stans who wanted Gaga to present Best Actress. John Leguizamo to introduce the Encanto song performance?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Hopkins rarely attends awards shows anymore so one has to imagine this is to make up for them ruining what should've been his moment (the "No Zoom" rule, positioning his award last for what was clearly intended to be an emotional tribute for Boseman).

I know Packer has been keen on doing cast reunions so it'll be interesting to see what they have planned. If they were to be introducing movie clips for the nominees again it would make sense to have Lily James presenting Belfast (worked with Branagh on Cinderella) and Rami Malek presenting Licorice Pizza (worked with PTA on The Master). 

Some have criticized the idea of selecting a “Twitter” winner and honoring that film on the show.

It’s not a “Twitter Oscar.” I get why it’s clickbait to say that, but it’s just so inaccurate. But, yeah, I had the idea. I make no bones about wanting to make a popular show. I have always said that I wanted to have elements of some of the most popular movies of the year, whether or not they’re being included in official categories.

There’s been speculation that Jon Hamm was going to be part of the show but that you two had creative differences.

I can tell you that’s not true. I think Jon’s great. And he and I are good. These are definitely the three ladies who were meant to be the hosts.

You mentioned your decision to divide the televised show into three parts.

That’s accurate. We are positioning each hour differently, thematically.

But just to be clear, the hosts will come in and out throughout the night. So it’s not like each host has their own hour.

Will there be a different host or hosts for the 4 p.m. PT hour?

Yes, but that’s all I can say at this point.

Will Packer on Oscars Hosts, Twitter Votes, Pre-Taped Categories – The Hollywood Reporter

So, there's going to be a fourth host during that pre-taped first hour? This ceremony already sounds like a mess.

You just know that they're planning to make the "Dos Oruguitas" performance a big Encanto medley that way they can ride the soundtrack sensation wave. Bring back the "Presenters for Presenters" nonsense from the ceremony two years ago while they're still at it.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 1:05 PM, filmlover said:

Will Packer on Oscars Hosts, Twitter Votes, Pre-Taped Categories – The Hollywood Reporter

So, there's going to be a fourth host during that pre-taped first hour? This ceremony already sounds like a mess.

The red carpet show has always had different cohosts than the main ceremony--it's not like Billy Crystal was outside asking everyone "Who are you wearing?" back in the day. It's been people like Robin Roberts and Ryan Seacrest and someone from the fashion world. A red carpet show is pretty basic and hard to screw up, so I'm sure these producers will find a way.

Mila accepts the love for Ukraine and she was also in a movie that's nominated this year, cool.

Uma Thurman and John Travolta are both announced as presenters, so,  a Pulp Fiction reunion. Maybe they get Original Screenplay?

Wonder if Kaluuya will bring Heir Holiness as his plus-one...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl