filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

I'm sorry I didn't finish reading this but there is absolutely no reason the lead actress of a movie with 7 nominations should be overlook for a ticket lol. And it's Disney not WB. 

Disney then, wonder why Disney decided to not invite her (or one of the many movie nominees giving one of their 3 tickets), but one could imagine they have long list of people to weight on.

To make it short, that was a Disney call not the Academy.

Edited by Barnack

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Disney then, wonder why Disney decided to not invite her (or one of the many movie nominees giving one of their 3 tickets), but one could imagine they have long list of people to weight on.

To make it short, that was a Disney call not the Academy.

It's especially weird because She is in Snow White which is Disney AND it's on ABC. I also find it hard to believe Spielberg has no pull to get the star of his musical a ticket if he really wanted to. It's very strange. 

Edited by ban1o

The “Lemonade” singer is notoriously secretive, often requiring the most high-level collaborators to sign binding nondisclosure agreements for the chance to work with her. Numerous insiders close to the industry and to the city government said that it’s possible Beyoncé would abandon the concept entirely if any of her plans were to be revealed. While there are numerous tennis courts in the City of Compton, located in metro Los Angeles, the Lueders Park courts were officially rebranded as the Venus and Serena Williams Court of Champion in 2016. The Compton City Manager’s office did not return multiple calls for comment on the matter.

So it's not happening, then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nominations were announced a month and a half ago. What have the producers been doing all this time? I don't think Billie Eilish's performance is going to be that dramatic or require special arrangements, but they haven't announced her as a performer, either.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Spielberg is clearly the real star of West Side Story and DeBose is the only performer in it up for a nomination (and is the frontrunner in her category). It's too bad that Zegler wasn't given an invite, but I wasn't expecting many cast members from West Side Story to be in attendance anyway since the movie is more of a director showcase than an actor's one. The cast for Dunkirk was MIA from awards shows all season long when it it was up, as another example.

The randomness of the presenters is likely a combination of the over-the-top efforts to produce the most everything-for-everyone show ever to hit those 40 million viewers again, actor availability and scheduling conflicts, and the possible chance a lot of people are boycotting the ceremony over all the changes that have pissed people off. I noticed that Frances McDormand and Chloe Zhao have yet to be announced as presenters, and if they aren't between now and Sunday, we'll know.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Spielberg is clearly the real star of West Side Story and DeBose is the only performer in it up for a nomination (and is the frontrunner in her category). It's too bad that Zegler wasn't given an invite, but I wasn't expecting many cast members from West Side Story to be in attendance anyway since the movie is more of a director showcase than an actor's one. The cast for Dunkirk was MIA from awards shows all season long when it it was up, as another example.

The randomness of the presenters is likely a combination of the over-the-top efforts to produce the most everything-for-everyone show ever to hit those 40 million viewers again, actor availability and scheduling conflicts, and the possible chance a lot of people are boycotting the ceremony over all the changes that have pissed people off. I noticed that Frances McDormand and Chloe Zhao have yet to be announced as presenters, and if they aren't between now and Sunday, we'll know.

This was last year so the covid excuse doesn't hold 

LPVJQF4ZZG4AHS2X5BDXD4CTJ4.jpg

ap_17058202120086_custom-1b3fdf93a040363mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:688649?quality=0.8

spotlight.jpg

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

ap_17058202120086_custom-1b3fdf93a040363mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:688649?quality=0.8

spotlight.jpg

I mean, it's pretty typical for there to be significant absences, especially if your movie isn't a frontrunner that's expected to win. It's unlikely the majority (if not all) of Don't Look Up's starry ensemble will be there either.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I mean, it's pretty typical for there to be significant absences, especially if your movie isn't a frontrunner that's expected to win. It's unlikely the majority (if not all) of Don't Look Up's starry ensemble will be there either.

I'm pretty sure the entire cast of Don't Look Up is invited by the Academy for sure.

They aren't going to not invite them - whether they show up is a different question.

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

spotlight.jpg

Saw speculation that Disney is only maybe inviting Moreno (DeBose presumably gets a ticket from AMPAS as a nominee) and none of the other cast so they can avoid having Elgort representing West Side Story in person on Hollywood's Biggest Night. He went to Critics Choice this year, but it's nothing compared to the Oscars. He hasn't done a Casey Affleck and voluntarily stepped aside to avoid the awkwardness of his presence, and the studio hasn't totally distanced themselves from him for whatever reason.

So, you just invite the Anitas, pan to them and Spielberg a lot whenever WSS is mentioned, and hope the fans watching at home figure the other cast members are on location or have Covid. I'm guessing Zegler wasn't supposed to let it slip that she wasn't invited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I'm pretty sure the entire cast of Don't Look Up is invited by the Academy for sure.

They aren't going to not invite them - whether they show up is a different question.

I highly doubt it. Leo's in particular is famous for only attending whenever he's nominated (aside from the year after he won to continue the tradition of crowning the next Best Actress winner). His snubbing of the Titanic ceremony caused quite a stir back in the day.

Aside from the Don't Look Up and West Side Story casts being largely no-shows, I doubt anyone from the Nightmare Alley ensemble will be there either. The fact most of the presenters that have been announced have zero to do with the nominees might raise questions about whether there's a private protest in the industry going around where anyone who isn't actually nominated themselves wants nothing to do with the ceremony due to all the behind the scenes shenanigans leaving many completely disenchanted. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

From my understanding the Academy give ticket to nominee, 3 people of their choice, presentator, Academy members winning a lottery and the ABC-Disney people etc...

Don't look Up is invited (if they are) by Netflix that received a bunch of tickets that they split among big name and people involved in the movies:

https://time.com/6159180/oscars-invites-rachel-zegler/

After that, the Academy cleans its hands of the decision-making process by handing out to each studio blocks of tickets that are roughly proportional to the nominations they’ve received. 

The entire cast (of 192 people) of Don't look up will not get ticket for the Oscar by the studio that just impossible even if they make an explicit demand, not usually but certainly not in a year with one of the lowest amount of attended since it is a tv show because of COVID rules and the small theater.

It is not the first time that this occurs and again the Academy will ask people why Disney decided that to Disney:

Six years ago, a similar controversy emerged when the cast for Straight Outta Compton, which depicts the rise of the rap group N.W.A., did not receive invites to the ceremony; only the film’s white writers who were nominated for Best Original Screenplay were invited. At the time, an Academy spokesperson deflected responsibility: “The Academy invites the nominees only, and each studio gets a limited ticket allotment, based on the number of nominated films, to use at their discretion. It has been this way for decades,” the spokesperson told People.

Maybe there was an exception for Jack Nicholson (there were way less member and much more place back in days so maybe he was simply getting one has a paying member, just a really good one) not having to go by an win the lottery, but actors not in nomination if I understand correctly that are there are either presenter/got a ticket from the +1 or +3 of their nominated friends, from a powerful agency/studio, won the lottery has an academy member, bought the ticket on the second hand market, they were not a direct invite from the Academy themselves.

If DiCaprio agent would ask Netflix for a ticket, they would make it happen, obviously.

Edited by Barnack

I wonder who the next super producer they'll turn to cause I'm getting a feeling the reviews for this will be so bad that Will Packer will be the latest to find themselves on the list of people unlikely to be invited back to produce the ceremony. I'm sure @Cap would be on board with getting the inevitable Ryan Murphy-produced trainwreck out of the way sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I wonder who the next super producer they'll turn to cause I'm getting a feeling the reviews for this will be so bad that Will Packer will be the latest to find themselves on the list of people unlikely to be invited back to produce the ceremony. I'm sure @Cap would be on board with getting the inevitable Ryan Murphy-produced trainwreck out of the way sooner rather than later.

I am surprised Apatow has never been involved. He hosts many shows like the DGA Awards. He’s connected to EVERY comedian on the planet. Finding presenters and writers would not be difficult for him. He might not want to host but he would be a fine producer. And he already knows how to handle long runtimes!

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I am surprised Apatow has never been involved. He hosts many shows like the DGA Awards. He’s connected to EVERY comedian on the planet. Finding presenters and writers would not be difficult for him. He might not want to host but he would be a fine producer. And he already knows how to handle long runtimes!

I'm sure it'll happen at some point. The issue will be how much creative breathing room ABC will allow him and his team to have in their desperate attempts to get 40 million viewers again.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I highly doubt it. Leo's in particular is famous for only attending whenever he's nominated (aside from the year after he won to continue the tradition of crowning the next Best Actress winner). His snubbing of the Titanic ceremony caused quite a stir back in the day.

Aside from the Don't Look Up and West Side Story casts being largely no-shows, I doubt anyone from the Nightmare Alley ensemble will be there either. The fact most of the presenters that have been announced have zero to do with the nominees might raise questions about whether there's a private protest in the industry going around where anyone who isn't actually nominated themselves wants nothing to do with the ceremony due to all the behind the scenes shenanigans leaving many completely disenchanted. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

Or maybe the producers have no clue what they are doing and think it's better to have presenters that have nothing to do with the nominations.