Box Office Hit

Challengers | April 26, 2024 | MGM | Zendaya | Luca Guadagnino to Direct

This is getting a one week run because there were no other releases set for IMAX between Civil War and The Fall Guy and it's buzzy. I suppose Abigail and/or The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare could've also been upgraded since they are sharing Dolby screens that weekend, but horror movies hardly ever go for IMAX unless they're being positioned as event movies and Lionsgate doesn't seem to be putting too much of an effort in promoting the latter.

“I wish I had his notes,” Ross said of Guadagnino. “His notes were so fucking funny on what each piece was meant to do.”

“Oh, yeah,” Reznor said. “ ‘Unending homoerotic desire.’ It was all a variation on those three words.”

Pretty interesting Reznor/Ross profile overall, they seem to be very very busy

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross Have a Plan to Soundtrack Everything | GQ

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

They’re going all out with the press tour. Hope the film lives up to the hype

I think it'll do well at least. Amy Pascal is one of the producers and she has a lot of pull in the industry and doesn't really attach her name to things unless it's good and will give her a good ROI.

• Like 1

They are doing this big worldwide promo tour. I wonder what kind of numbers they are expecting. They are acting like this will be a blockbuster movie. What's gonna happen if this opens to 10-15M?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Maggie said:

They are doing this big worldwide promo tour. I wonder what kind of numbers they are expecting. They are acting like this will be a blockbuster movie. What's gonna happen if this opens to 10-15M?

It’s not really worldwide though. It’s been mostly in Europe which makes sense since tennis is popular there. The only other place they went was Australia, where tennis is also a popular sport. The US will be the next and final stop. It makes sense to spend time in these specific markets if they want atleast decent numbers. Zendaya gets attention for her outfits everywhere she goes and goes viral regularly on social media, she’s a fashion icon. So the press tour seems bigger than it actually is. This is nowhere near a blockbuster press tour like for example Dune which had stops in Asia/Oceania, Europe, Middle East, Latin/South America, and North America. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Belakor said:

I´m going to add Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to the Oscar buzz, the songs are perfect.

Easily their best work since The Social Network.

It might be the album of the year.

You are right the score goes too hard to ignore. Did not expect it from a tennis movie but I'm gonna be resisting the urge to shake my ass in the movie theatre. Given they've won twice I don't think the academy can leave them out unless the category is ridiculously competitive this year. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Belakor said:

I´m going to add Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to the Oscar buzz, the songs are perfect.

Easily their best work since The Social Network.

It might be the album of the year.

How did y’all see the movie?